Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 13, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #16,741 of 48,562
I'll probably have a lot of questions until my headphone setup is complete.

Sounds like you actually are looking for a service from somebody paid to give said service :wink:
There are such services, we may give a few tips if we can't sleep and are feeling masochistic (and of course there is a wealth of info on this thread if you judiciously use the search function), but you'll probably also need to do some experimenting.

I wish I was paid for the hour I spent typing my last post, all the time I've spent compiling reviews, and the money (not as much as Mad :p ) I've spent on gear. It's valuable knowledge, but I know that till I stop giving it out for free nobody would pay me. *shrug*

Far as processors that can bake-in surround audio into a 2 channel optical output, the only options for that are from PC. Overall, it's a long rabbit hole, your current gear can't do EVERYTHING so hopefully it does it well enough for you and the compressed audio material in videogames (especially consoles).
Edit: splitting your optical feed and building a separate audio chain for headphones is also an option, didn't know if you were willing to go that route. Knowing ALL your options is good tho, so yeah, you could also split your optical with that box, buy a surround processor like the DSS, send the analogue audio out from that to your vintage receiver, and have surround. I personally find SC very close to DH (have both currently but not compared head-to-head yet), and you may find connecting to the AVR's headphone jack to be a cleaner analogue signal than the DSS' analogue signal.
Ya make me want to experiment! Someday, *raises fist* I will get that Yamaha AVR back out from it's box!

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #16,742 of 48,562
I mean, the all in one factor is what appealed to me, especially since it actually has Mac drivers, but I also have a console and gaming PC. I'm just now booting up my new Recon3D USB. By the way, I always type the USB part so people know which one I'm talking about. Doesn't hurt that it has gone on sale from time to time, too.

Apparently the Mixamp can plug into a PC and use USB for audio, but the quality is really bad (noisy) and doesn't have native drivers. You could also use a Mixamp with a Dolby Digital Live 5.1 (DDL) output from an optical port, but you'd have to figure out how to enable it, may require software, and... I don't know how to do it, you'd have to spend time researching if you want it.

What I HAVE learned about surround audio, I've written almost like a report in my "If I knew then..." journal linked in my signature. You said you don't understand Dolby Headphone and stuff, I wrote those "articles" to be a good starting place.

I'll have to check out some of those tracks, I'm always open to new stuff, but honestly I don't have much experience with the genre. I feel like bass that is slightly on the boomy side might actually be better suited for you, and FWIR the DT770 is impressive while still having good detail and surround imaging. The AKG K240 studios may also be fun for you, they actually have a pretty strong pronounced mid-bass hump (sound different than the flagships). Someone may recommend you the Sony XB500... Uh, no. I mean, you should hear it once, but the bass is ridiculously overblown and you can't hear anything else. The MA900 though, that's supposed to be nice, but I don't necessarily think it's the one best matched to what you're looking for, but I get the feeling you'll like the headphones Mad likes.

Hm I see, well the Recon3D seems like the best choice for getting everyting in one package, haven't heard much about it outside of these forums though so I'm still a bit unsure.
Oh that's great, I'll check out your journal when I got time!

Quote:
Phol,
Check out this gaming headset review of the Beyerdynamic MMX300, basically the DT770 I linked above is the same headphone he's testing there without the built-in mic for $160 new. Mostly, that guy has only had experience with gaming headsets, and he was quite impressed, though his line about "this headphone is so great that the compressed audio in games are the only things that hold it back, and actually sound even better when listening to high bitrate music" (paraphrase) speaks volumes about these headphones. Check amazon's used section too, these are pretty tough headphones. While the Q701s are my favourite headphones (so far), I don't know if "balanced" and "reference" is the sound you're looking for
wink.gif
and the DT770 may be what you're looking for. Then, once you're used to it, you may want to pick up an E17 for amping and to EQ down bass and treble a smidge
wink.gif

Not to sure about the gaming headset, it's pretty damn expensive and I rather just have a really good new headphone for that asking price :p.
I'm actually looking at the DT990 atm. I know I stated that I didn't want an open headset at first, but this one seems to be really well suited for my needs (a bit scared about the treble being too much though). The thing is since it's the 250 Ohm Pro-version I will have to invest in an amp, and I could get a Fidelio X for about the same price as a DT990+amp. Thought the Fidelio has that cable problem x.x.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #16,743 of 48,562
 compressed audio material in videogames (especially consoles).

PC and PS3 aren't so bad but the 360, because it uses DVDs, is pretty bad.  The bluray drive in the XB1 should bring it on par with it's competition.

I appreciate your help and advice.  Truly.

If we had a section in the forum here for "regular" stereo equipment, I could return the favors.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #16,744 of 48,562
PC games get their multiplat audio always from the Xbox Version unless specifically taken care of. Almost all extra work done for a PC version is mostly just graphics and lesser video compression - rarely the audio treat like the PS3 version (if it hasn't already been gimped by getting the X360 files as well).

So no, "especially consoles" isn't really the truth.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #16,745 of 48,562
Phol,
I know what you mean by not much exposure outside of Head-Fi, virtual surround in general is not well known (I myself didn't know about it till I found this thread like two years ago, but only started participating like a year and a couple months back), there are only a few reviews of it on Amazon Et Al, but I took a chance based on it's features (and a sale price) and really liked it (also new Mixamps at the time were back ordered for months and twice the cost). That's why I try to tell people about it... Creative themselves didn't work enough to give it traction. Now, it's possible that Creative may release a refreshed device similar to the Recon3D USB for their Z series line within a couple of months, I'd love to see that, but right now I just rebought a Recon3D USB and am glad to have it back.

I originally had a grand idea for the journal, aka it was going to be longer and grow a life of it's own, but not many people found it and then I got a job... We'll see. And the current stuff is still good info.

The DT770 headphone IS just a really good headphone, the MMX 300 is quite expensive but basically it's just a DT770 with a mic integrated. The X1 is a step up, and yeah it's open which is generally preferred, I'd say if you were looking at the dt990 just go with the X1 instead, else if that's too much stick with the other suggestions from Mad's guide.
-----

PC and PS3 aren't so bad but the 360, because it uses DVDs, is pretty bad.  The bluray drive in the XB1 should bring it on par with it's competition.

I appreciate your help and advice.  Truly.

If we had a section in the forum here for "regular" stereo equipment, I could return the favors.

I don't mean to whine, I just know that people buy magazines for their reviews, even if said reviews don't have as much juicy info and subjective evaluation (Stereophile is an exception that I greatly enjoyed reading). I also see Mad doing this because he would anyway out of passion, yet basically being impoverished, and not on a you or my fault level but I think his time ought to be rewarded somehow. Thus I was really happy for him when Skullcandy/Astro asked him to review a few models, hoped it would lead to more, coz more reviews from him were helping everybody.

I think there is a "regular stereo speaker" section, I just don't go there often coz right now, in my living situation and income level, headphones are just way more practical and high-value for the dollar. I do have a pair of Polk M40's for laid back relaxing, will hook hem up again once I move back into an apartment (trying to find a reliable roommate that isn't a stranger).
-----

Fegefeuer,
Thanks for adding to my want for a PS3, lol, though I may jump straight to a PS4. Bunch of PS3 titles I'm sad to miss, maybe I'll "get" a PS3 for "free" with a roommate, LOL! Hope he wouldn't mind if I shared my Panasonic plasma, speakers, headphones, furniture, rent... etc.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #16,746 of 48,562
Well, the PS4 may stream PS3 digital game through Gaikai so you just might be able to play whatever is available on PSN.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #16,749 of 48,562
Phol,
If you want something for the computer and console, the easiest solution right now is to get a Recon3D USB from Creative (which I just rebought yesterday). Sure, the Mixamp can kinda do a PC, and maybe with research and reconfiguration you might be able to use a Turtle Beach DSS with a PC, but the Creative external soundcard actually has custom drivers for Windows (and Mac) while also supporting the ability to decode surround sound sent from a console. I don't know of any in-production internal soundcards that actually can support 5.1 DDL audio decoding from a PS3, and besides having the external Recon3D means you don't have to have your PC running to have console surround.

You can adjust the balance between game and chat volume on PC (even increase the gain/sensitivity of your microphone), but unfortunately it can't offer that on consoles (though the PS3 may offer system settings for a workaround, I admit I'm not very familiar with the PS3 advanced settings). On my Xbox, there is a setting that can quiet the game audio while somebody is talking, but I prefer to turn up the volume on my amp till i can hear my friends clearly, then use a game's setting to lower game volume manually to a comfortable level – this way game audio won't change when I'm trying to listen for an enemy and a friend starts talking.

If you want the cheapest devices that will process surround audio, those would be the Turtle Beach DSS for consoles (Woot just posted an offer for a DSS v1 with a headset... All TB headsets can easily be outmatched in SQ, but the mic is good, allows console chat mixing, and is essentially free with a $30 DSS: http://tech.woot.com/offers/7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset-4) and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro or Asus Xonar U3 for the PC. Dolby processing in the DSS and Xonar products is ok, but I prefer the headphone surround from THX and Creative.

What is post-core? Post hardcore? What's an example track?

ugh that woot deal is so tempting. I could just toss the headset to one of my brothers and keep the DSS for myself. I don't like justifying the dss just for GTA5 though. I literally haven't touched my PS3 in months but GTA games are the only reason why i buy consoles (took a week off work at my first job for GTA4 lol). If rockstar would only announce a PC port already.... I know I would buy it bc I got GTA4 for PC once it hit steam essentially buying the same game twice.

Mad, in your review you said the noise scales on the DSS so i'm guessing the hiss will be pretty bad if if i hooked up the DSS --> Asgard 2 --->X1

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #16,750 of 48,562
Phol,
If you want the woot deal, jump on it, those sell out fast (if not already). Probably the best thing I can say about turtle beach headsets is the mic is quite sensitive, and you can balance chat/game volume, but otherwise there are easily better headphones. If you can buy a whole console for one game series, then you can justify a DSS and a birthday present for $30 :D Think of it as a special limited edition of GTA enhanced for headphones, LOL! Then, buy a Soundblaster Z. Asgard 2 maaaaaay be overkill for the X1, but hey do what makes ya!

I GOT A PACKAGE TODAY!!!! 
k701smile.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #16,751 of 48,562
  Phol,
If you want the woot deal, jump on it, those sell out fast (if not already). Probably the best thing I can say about turtle beach headsets is the mic is quite sensitive, and you can balance chat/game volume, but otherwise there are easily better headphones. If you can buy a whole console for one game series, then you can justify a DSS and a birthday present for $30 :D Think of it as a special limited edition of GTA enhanced for headphones, LOL! Then, buy a Soundblaster Z. Asgard 2 maaaaaay be overkill for the X1, but hey do what makes ya!

I GOT A PACKAGE TODAY!!!! 
k701smile.gif

What is it? :xf_eek:

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #16,752 of 48,562
  Mad, in your review you said the noise scales on the DSS so i'm guessing the hiss will be pretty bad if if i hooked up the DSS --> Asgard 2 --->X1

I wouldn't worry about it. 

I use DSS > M-Stage > X1 and it's fine. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #16,754 of 48,562
There are always cheap DSSes on eBay...

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #16,755 of 48,562
What is it? :xf_eek:

well it Arrived just as I was leaving for worK, which didn't Give me time to open it, but it should be something expensive but also something to look forward to tonight ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back