Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #16,726 of 48,562
Eh, you make it easy to get to it. I have a couple friends who have picked up a Recon3D USB as well, fellow Mac gamers, and I link them your suggested settings to get a starting point. I get to it easily through your signature; "detailed report" at the bottom and then a link in that write-up takes you to the post. I don't have it bookmarked either but I think it's a great starting point for people. So I send them that way. But secretly, I'm actually too lazy to write down my settings for them and make them do their own work.

And forums aren't the best way to convey sarcasm/jokes/break dancing skills. It's pretty easy to get an impression of someone and have it be entirely incorrect. I mean, look at Chicolom. He might actually be a terrible person who punches puppies, though I highly doubt it. So if I may have come off a bit rude or provocative but it certainly wasn't intentional. Unless I was talking to Tus-chan. *shakes fist* (gotta rag on my fellow state-men)

Secretly, I did suspect you were linking my post soon as I saw a hyperlink (cuz you have that kind of humor, and AFAIK I am the only one to publish setup testing notes on the relatively unknown Recon3D USB), and also I did link them all to eachother and my signature because I know that, even more secretly, I am also too lazy and I have to take advantage of manic periods of activity.

I did not know that you have been sharing the links more than once, that makes me extremely happy to hear I made something that is still seeing use.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #16,727 of 48,562
Phol,
If you want something for the computer and console, the easiest solution right now is to get a Recon3D USB from Creative (which I just rebought yesterday). Sure, the Mixamp can kinda do a PC, and maybe with research and reconfiguration you might be able to use a Turtle Beach DSS with a PC, but the Creative external soundcard actually has custom drivers for Windows (and Mac) while also supporting the ability to decode surround sound sent from a console. I don't know of any in-production internal soundcards that actually can support 5.1 DDL audio decoding from a PS3, and besides having the external Recon3D means you don't have to have your PC running to have console surround.

You can adjust the balance between game and chat volume on PC (even increase the gain/sensitivity of your microphone), but unfortunately it can't offer that on consoles (though the PS3 may offer system settings for a workaround, I admit I'm not very familiar with the PS3 advanced settings). On my Xbox, there is a setting that can quiet the game audio while somebody is talking, but I prefer to turn up the volume on my amp till i can hear my friends clearly, then use a game's setting to lower game volume manually to a comfortable level – this way game audio won't change when I'm trying to listen for an enemy and a friend starts talking.

If you want the cheapest devices that will process surround audio, those would be the Turtle Beach DSS for consoles (Woot just posted an offer for a DSS v1 with a headset... All TB headsets can easily be outmatched in SQ, but the mic is good, allows console chat mixing, and is essentially free with a $30 DSS: http://tech.woot.com/offers/7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset-4) and a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro or Asus Xonar U3 for the PC. Dolby processing in the DSS and Xonar products is ok, but I prefer the headphone surround from THX and Creative.

What is post-core? Post hardcore? What's an example track?

Thanks for the reply!

The Recon 3D, first time i hear of it. Seems like quite a nifty little device, and it's not too expensive here in Sweden either. Will have to look into it! 
At first glance I like it better than the other suggestions mainly because it seems like an all-in-one kind of thing. I really want to cut back on the amount of devices and cables as much as possible. Out of curiousity what do you mean that the Mixamp can kind of work with a PC?

Yeah post hardcore, I guess you could call it metalcore as well. Stuff like: We Came as Romans - Hope. Bands like The Devils Wears Prada and Of Mice and Men.
But l listen to lots of other stuff as well, Within Temptation, Daft Punk, Opeth, Paramore to name a few. I also like to relax to the gaming soundtracks of Halo, Mass effect, Skryim etc when playing other games or just browsing.

Any good suggestions on Headphones?

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #16,728 of 48,562
I mean, the all in one factor is what appealed to me, especially since it actually has Mac drivers, but I also have a console and gaming PC. I'm just now booting up my new Recon3D USB. By the way, I always type the USB part so people know which one I'm talking about. Doesn't hurt that it has gone on sale from time to time, too.

Apparently the Mixamp can plug into a PC and use USB for audio, but the quality is really bad (noisy) and doesn't have native drivers. You could also use a Mixamp with a Dolby Digital Live 5.1 (DDL) output from an optical port, but you'd have to figure out how to enable it, may require software, and... I don't know how to do it, you'd have to spend time researching if you want it.

What I HAVE learned about surround audio, I've written almost like a report in my "If I knew then..." journal linked in my signature. You said you don't understand Dolby Headphone and stuff, I wrote those "articles" to be a good starting place.

I'll have to check out some of those tracks, I'm always open to new stuff, but honestly I don't have much experience with the genre. I feel like bass that is slightly on the boomy side might actually be better suited for you, and FWIR the DT770 is impressive while still having good detail and surround imaging. The AKG K240 studios may also be fun for you, they actually have a pretty strong pronounced mid-bass hump (sound different than the flagships). Someone may recommend you the Sony XB500... Uh, no. I mean, you should hear it once, but the bass is ridiculously overblown and you can't hear anything else. The MA900 though, that's supposed to be nice, but I don't necessarily think it's the one best matched to what you're looking for, but I get the feeling you'll like the headphones Mad likes.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #16,729 of 48,562
This thread is huge and I don't feel like reading the entire thing, so my apologies because I'm certain this has been answered a number of times.

I currently have an Xbox 360 and come November I will have an Xbox One.  I have a 7.1 Yamaha AVR as well as a vintage Yamaha receiver, either of which can power my headphones.  I recently (today) received my Fidelio X1 headphones from Amazon.

My question is how can I get surround sound headphone effects while retaining the ability for one of my receivers to power my headphones or a headphone amp in the future and also not lose the ability to use my 5.1 surround sound setup without having to unhook and rehook things up constantly.

I hope this makes sense, I'll answer any questions if not.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #16,730 of 48,562
Hey there, I've been looking to get a pair of Razer headphones and was disappointed to find none in your guide. Was wondering if they're just more garbage aimed at a gamer demograph or if there's any reason none were included. I specifically had my eyes on the Blackshark but I admit it's mostly for the aesthetics, love that look. 

If the Razers really are trash then I'm sure I'll be able to find something for me with your great guide, thanks a ton.

PS Sorry if you've addressed this in the comments already, please forgive me for not sifting through over a thousand pages >_>

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #16,731 of 48,562
  This thread is huge and I don't feel like reading the entire thing, so my apologies because I'm certain this has been answered a number of times.

I currently have an Xbox 360 and come November I will have an Xbox One.  I have a 7.1 Yamaha AVR as well as a vintage Yamaha receiver, either of which can power my headphones.  I recently (today) received my Fidelio X1 headphones from Amazon.

My question is how can I get surround sound headphone effects while retaining the ability for one of my receivers to power my headphones or a headphone amp in the future and also not lose the ability to use my 5.1 surround sound setup without having to unhook and rehook things up constantly.

I hope this makes sense, I'll answer any questions if not.

Why even use a vintage receiver with your modern hardware (xBox).
Run HDMI from the gaming console (xBox) to the Yamaha A/V receiver, plug headphones into Yamaha receiver.

Your Fidelio X1 headphones are only 30-Ohms, not a great match for plugging into any receiver's high impedance headphone jack.

Getting an Astro Mix-Amp and plugging it into the gaming console (S/PDIF optical) and the Philips in to the Mix-amp might be a better choice, over the Yamaha.

Or get some 250 or 300-Ohm headphones to plug into the Yamaha A/V receiver.
(HDMI from xBox to Yamaha should offer better audio quality over mix-amp/optical connection)

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #16,732 of 48,562
  Why even use a vintage receiver with your modern hardware (xBox).
Run HDMI from the gaming console (xBox) to the Yamaha A/V receiver, plug headphones into Yamaha receiver.

Your Fidelio X1 headphones are only 30-Ohms, not a great match for plugging into any receiver's high impedance headphone jack.

Getting an Astro Mix-Amp and plugging it into the gaming console (S/PDIF optical) and the Philips in to the Mix-amp might be a better choice, over the Yamaha.

Or get some 250 or 300-Ohm headphones to plug into the Yamaha A/V receiver.
(HDMI from xBox to Yamaha should offer better audio quality over mix-amp/optical connection)

The vintage Yamaha is powering my main speakers via preouts of the 7.1 AVR for a few reasons.  First is they are 4 ohm speakers, in some frequencies dipping into the low 3 ohm range.  The vintage Yamaha is rated for a 4 ohm load.  Second is that it is a better sounding and better built receiver that has more power than my newer AVR.  So when I am listening to 2 channel music, it is much improved and when I'm watching a 5.1 movie, a lot of the load is taken off of the AVR allowing it to more properly power the rest of my setup.

Because they are both in use, I can plug my headphones into either receiver at any time and when I A/B'd the headphone jacks on both receivers the vintage Yamaha sounded better and had more power for the X1's then the newer AVR by far and away.  Though it may not be ideal, it is better.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #16,733 of 48,562

The vintage Yamaha is powering my main speakers via preouts of the 7.1 AVR for a few reasons.  First is they are 4 ohm speakers, in some frequencies dipping into the low 3 ohm range.  The vintage Yamaha is rated for a 4 ohm load.  Second is that it is a better sounding and better built receiver that has more power than my newer AVR.  So when I am listening to 2 channel music, it is much improved and when I'm watching a 5.1 movie, a lot of the load is taken off of the AVR allowing it to more properly power the rest of my setup.

Because they are both in use, I can plug my headphones into either receiver at any time and when I A/B'd the headphone jacks on both receivers the vintage Yamaha sounded better and had more power for the X1's then the newer AVR by far and away.  Though it may not be ideal, it is better.

Which model Yamaha receivers are they?
Plug the headphones into the vintage for music and plug the headphones into the newer AVR for gaming.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #16,734 of 48,562
  Which model Yamaha receivers are they?
Plug the headphones into the vintage for music and plug the headphones into the newer AVR for gaming.

New - RX-V667
Vintage - CA-1010

So, basically, I want something like this Mixamp.  Is there any product out there like Mixamp that also has a optical OUT port?  So I can run an optical cord from the console to the mixamp (where my headphones will reside) and also run another optical cord from the OUT port on the "Mixamp" like product to my receiver thus not breaking anything I have going on now?

The reviews of the 2013 Mixamp are not favorable on their website.  Sounds like people are having issues with them.

I'll probably have a lot of questions until my headphone setup is complete.  I'm familiar with HT and 2 channel music stereo equipment and setup but this is my first headphone endeavor.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #16,735 of 48,562
Hey there, I've been looking to get a pair of Razer headphones and was disappointed to find none in your guide. Was wondering if they're just more garbage aimed at a gamer demograph or if there's any reason none were included. I specifically had my eyes on the Blackshark but I admit it's mostly for the aesthetics, love that look. 

If the Razers really are trash then I'm sure I'll be able to find something for me with your great guide, thanks a ton.

PS Sorry if you've addressed this in the comments already, please forgive me for not sifting through over a thousand pages >_>

I don't generally review headsets, that's why. This guide is more audiophile oriented, and the reviews are for headphones the general audiophile might have or normally go for. The few headsets I have reviewed has mostly been due to companies sending them out to me (Skullcandy/Astrogaming). If Razer ever wants to send some for review, I'd be more than happy to put them on my guide.

Just to let you guys know, I don't get paid, nor do I make a lot of money with my real job $9/hr (yeah....not gonna make a living off that), which is why I don't just buy stuff for reviewing. If I buy something, it's because I'm generally interested in actually owning/using it. (X1, MA900 being the latest)

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #16,737 of 48,562

So, basically, I want something like this Mixamp.  Is there any product out there like Mixamp that also has a optical OUT port?  So I can run an optical cord from the console to the mixamp (where my headphones will reside) and also run another optical cord from the OUT port on the "Mixamp" like product to my receiver thus not breaking anything I have going on now?

Why not use a powered optical splitter?
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Way-Audio-Splitter/dp/B00B1UWSR6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1379056619&sr=8-4&keywords=optical+splitter

A DSS (version 1) will get you console surround sound for cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&clk_rvr_id=520259103126&_nkw=ear+force+dss&_sop=15
http://tech.woot.com/offers/7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset-4

Quote:
  This is what I'm going for.

That's actually a binaural recording, not Dolby Headphone.

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #16,739 of 48,562
Anglvd3th and fjosh,
Yeah, about 60-70% of this thread is made up of variations of your questions over the years, BUT the good news is that the guide in the first post is very helpful, and the thread kinda has gained a life of it's own where previous shoppers turn into people willing to share tips, like me.

Anglvd3th,
The general rule of thumb is that gaming-marketed headphones have problems with sibilance, refined and controlled presentation, and value for their price. Audio is not one of Razer's core competences, though they seem to be trying to learn and, even though their attempts such as their free surround audio processing sound inferior to efforts by Dolby and Creative, I give them kudos for trying to expand the market. Gaming headsets generally increase in quality with price paid, at least till you hit the wireless models which bump quality down to entry-level again plus problems with background hiss and less detailed DACs, but at the end of the day, audiophile favourites around the $80-$170 price range will stomp over "gaming" headsets in sound quality and comfort.

Amusingly, when I went to check out the blackshark just now, I noticed that Mad (Lust Envy) commented on the Engadget "review" (more of a first look) of this headphone.

Good news is that many of the audiophile headphones look unique and cool as well. Take for example the Beyerdynamic DT770 I just looked up for Phol. Those actually HAVE been used for aviation in their headset version, with nicer materials (AND COMFORT) than the Razer, the sound has a lot of energy, clarity, and bass, and then the price speaks for itself. For more airy surround realism, look at the Sony MA900 (reviewed in the guide), or the bass-lite but god-mode gaming and less expensive AudioTechnica AD700 (or the new AD700x, if you prefer black).

I think the AKG Q701 headphones sound AMAZING, my current favorites (new version K712 Pro is in the mail for me though), basically they get the max out of gaming audio and work well with virtual surround processing (see the journal linked in my signature) and make music a more engaging and enjoyable experience (known for their balance and broad soundstage), and look so cool to boot. I love my kinda stormtrooper white ones, but they come in a green and black you might find cool, or a black if you want a serious look.
The slightly higher impedance helps dampen background hiss in an audio signal (silence between sounds improves clarity and is a hallmark of audio quality), but you'll also need a higher volume settings to get the normal level of loudness. Usually you get an acceptable volume at near max settings, but adding a discrete headphone amp makes things sound effortless while also providing the muscle to do things that you shouldn't tell your mom. LoL, but seriously, a good amp isn't about making sound too loud, they improve the impact, ability to "feel" the little detail nuances on your eardrums, and add control to the bass and highs to prevent distortion so you can hear audio as it was intended (which is very pleasurable, so much so that you shouldn't tell your mom, heh). This amping section applies to most headphones as well, to varying degrees.

fjosh,
PurpleAngel and I both use (or have owned and used) Yamaha receivers. I was in the middle of playing around with settings to perfect the surround audio, when I had to pack it up and box it in my basement until I move out T_T
So I don't EXACTLY know/remember the best settings, the manual said you had to have on a DSP and your headphones in the headphone jack to engage Silent Cinema (for virtual surround), what I was finding was that you could adjust the amount of the affects' effect, but perhaps you can even get surround with a surround audio source and the receiver set to "straight."

If you want the surround AND you want to use the vintage receiver as a power amp, you'd have to plug the vintage receiver's input into the newer AVR's headphone jack. Downside of that is you'll be very inefficient with your electricity bill, and, unless you're using a headphone with a very high impedance or a very linear impedance:frequency response, you may hear dB spikes at certain frequencies or distortion. But if you want to do it and it sounds good enough to you, you pretty much just have to use your AVR as a source and connect the vintage to the AVR's headphone jack to get virtual surround basically equivalent to Dolby Headphone.

Phol,
Check out this gaming headset review of the Beyerdynamic MMX300, basically the DT770 I linked above is the same headphone he's testing there without the built-in mic for $160 new. Mostly, that guy has only had experience with gaming headsets, and he was quite impressed, though his line about "this headphone is so great that the compressed audio in games are the only things that hold it back, and actually sound even better when listening to high bitrate music" (paraphrase) speaks volumes about these headphones. Check amazon's used section too, these are pretty tough headphones. While the Q701s are my favourite headphones (so far), I don't know if "balanced" and "reference" is the sound you're looking for :wink: and the DT770 may be what you're looking for. Then, once you're used to it, you may want to pick up an E17 for amping and to EQ down bass and treble a smidge :wink:

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #16,740 of 48,562

Aww, bummer.  Are these surround sound "effect" processors nothing like this?

That splitter would work perfect.

They are very similar.  Your ability to position the sound in both is due to HRTF (Head Related Transfer Functions).  Basically, the way that sounds change as they bounce off different parts of your head and ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUrk2W_r5fc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back