Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #15,676 of 48,562
Firefly,
The U3 may "work" with OS X, but I'm assuming it doesn't add DH processing to multichannel audio, right? And that's the whole point of it, though it sounds like you have few Mac games... The Mac App Store and Steam catalogs are growing, FYI. I prefer Starcraft II in Mac, fewer bugs it seems (played HotS on PC, got weird shadows and looping audio), and some steam games if you buy one copy of the game, you can play it on either system (Like SW: the force unleashed. Weirdly it downloaded like 10x faster too).

Glad you're enjoying the E12! At some point people thought it's purpose was to be a bass machine, which is odd, but as I'm sure you're experiencing it's more about overall improvement and enlivening. I agree that the K701+amp is not a wholly 2x better experience than something like Koss KSC75 straight out of an iPod (listening to Calexico that way right now), BUT... don't you prefer it this way? Lol. Get used to it, and it'll be HARD to go back!

And yeah, the Recon3D USB + E12 + Q701 was good enoUgh for me, lol :wink:

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #15,677 of 48,562
Quote:
Anyone here been playing with a T1 and the Mixamp alone? 

Quote:
Considering the Teslas re more sensitive than the older Beyers, I'm sure the T1 and Mixamp are more than doable. Not ideal, but doable. The Mixamp can at least drive the 600ohm Beyers loudly, and so I feel the T1 would fare better off than those.

Of course, that's still far from ideal.

While I did not do it very often I can confirm this. When I used the T1 with the Mixamp I had the volume at 12 o clock and the game/chat at 1:00 ish. The Mixamp was able to get the T1 more than loud enough but like MLE said it was less than ideal. I have the 5.1 Mixamp that was produced in 2009/2010.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #15,678 of 48,562
Quote:
Firefly,
The U3 may "work" with OS X, but I'm assuming it doesn't add DH processing to multichannel audio, right? And that's the whole point of it, though it sounds like you have few Mac games... The Mac App Store and Steam catalogs are growing, FYI. I prefer Starcraft II in Mac, fewer bugs it seems (played HotS on PC, got weird shadows and looping audio), and some steam games if you buy one copy of the game, you can play it on either system (Like SW: the force unleashed. Weirdly it downloaded like 10x faster too).

Glad you're enjoying the E12! At some point people thought it's purpose was to be a bass machine, which is odd, but as I'm sure you're experiencing it's more about overall improvement and enlivening. I agree that the K701+amp is not a wholly 2x better experience than something like Koss KSC75 straight out of an iPod (listening to Calexico that way right now), BUT... don't you prefer it this way? Lol. Get used to it, and it'll be HARD to go back!

And yeah, the Recon3D USB + E12 + Q701 was good enoUgh for me, lol
wink.gif

I have a good friend that is a MAC user from the beginning of Apple. But he is also a gamer. He bought a PC two years age just because he wanted to have a real fast graphics card like the current Nvidia or AMD. He was sick and tired of either late and overpriced or never available cards. As Windows 7 came out he just went for it. Not to mention the sound possibilities he has now.......I think a serious gamer of current games should go PC or next gen consoles.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #15,680 of 48,562
So, the TH600s came in today. Since someone on the Denon/Fostex amp recommendation thread said that my Lovely Cube should be fine with the TH600s on the lowest gain setting, and I got basically the same response from the seller/builder of my Lovely Cube Premium, I'm trying them together to see how things sound.

Initial impressions before any real breaking in (music only, short listening test): weird and kind of cool. I'm hearing things from instruments that I didn't pick up on the DT880s. Out of the box, some vocals also sound more natural, and some to the point where they're also slightly haunting/shiver-inducing (don't know how else to explain it). The bass is definitely more present and seemingly clearer than with the DT880. I'm still undecided on how I feel about that right now because of how little I've actually listened, but hopefully it's a sound I really enjoy. I think I still have a slightly bass-heavy op amp in the Lovely Cube so I probably need to put a more neutral one in to try to get a better idea of the TH600's completely natural tone. I might end up grabbing something like a Magni or O2 to see if my Lovely Cube is still colouring the sound too much, but I still have to let the headphones break in more before I'm willing to buy anything else right now. Still, the sound seems like it might actually just be cleaner in general compared to my DT880s (which you'd hope for at ~3 or 4 times the price).

In any case, so far they seem good. A tentative "Thanks" to Happy Bullets for suggesting that I look into these things, because they do at least seem like a decent improvement over the DT880 so far. Hopefully I do really enjoy the sound for everything after they've had a better chance to break in and I give them more head time.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #15,681 of 48,562
Is there a way to have Windows remember the volume settings for certain devices? Mac seems to do that just fine.
e.g. Mac remembers max volume output for when the ODAC is connected, zero volume when disconnected, volume one for headphones.

Windows seems to just remember one volume setting...
e.g. Windows 7 remembers maximum volume output for ODAC and retains that maximum volume even when the ODAC is disconnected.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #15,682 of 48,562
Quote:
Is there a way to have Windows remember the volume settings for certain devices? Mac seems to do that just fine.
e.g. Mac remembers max volume output for when the ODAC is connected, zero volume when disconnected, volume one for headphones.

Windows seems to just remember one volume setting...
e.g. Windows 7 remembers maximum volume output for ODAC and retains that maximum volume even when the ODAC is disconnected.

I have Windows on my laptop and it remembers the volume set for each device...

I don't know what the issue may be...

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #15,683 of 48,562
Finished the last couple chapters that I had left on Dead Space 3. I must say it was a bit disappointing compared to the other two. And the story was awful...
frown.gif
. Audio and positional cues were less than average, IMO.

Now I'm on Metal Gear Rising. Audio and cues are ok, and the story seems interesting so far... very Kojimaish if I must say (even though he did not write this one). I'm still getting used to the hack n slash gameplay. It's never really been my style of liking.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #15,685 of 48,562
I'm really interested in listening to the MA-900.

Ugh...

I would love to hear one.

For those of you in this thread that love your MadDogs, Dan has a brand new headphone coming out. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #15,687 of 48,562
Thanks Miceblue I am on my phone and lazy. I want a pair so bad though.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #15,689 of 48,562
I wonder what materials can be used for a 3D printed headphone

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #15,690 of 48,562
I didn't like the speed of the Mad Dog, even version 3.2. But speeed with the Alpha Dog??? That's just plain awesome.

I love my 3.1 they get way more head time then my DT990 600s and my CALs. To the point I am tempted to sell my Beyers to fund the upgrade. I will never part with my CALs, love them way to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back