Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #15,616 of 48,566
Firefly,
I wouldn't be surprised if the amp section of the U3 is close to the power output of the Recon3D USB... basically, both would drive the Q701 loud enough, but from experience I'd say a headphone amp will make a big difference in the realism of the surround effect for either USB processor. I also found the distortion from the Recon3D USB to be very low, just testing by ear, and it responded well to double-amping (no problems).

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #15,617 of 48,566
What closed circumaural cans are good for gaming / music? I found the DT770 Pro 80s felt a little uncomfortable on my jaw after a small while, but I loved the velour pads. Returned them because of aforementioned comfort / clamp issues and the fact that the mids sounded recessed.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #15,618 of 48,566
SouDesu, YES, that is correct. The E6... that's pretty weak for an amp, bu it's better than running anything out of the U3's amp.

The U3 has a thin, cold, weak sounding headphone amp. Get a dac/amp to attach to the U3 ASAP.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #15,619 of 48,566
Quote:
Firefly,
I wouldn't be surprised if the amp section of the U3 is close to the power output of the Recon3D USB... basically, both would drive the Q701 loud enough, but from experience I'd say a headphone amp will make a big difference in the realism of the surround effect for either USB processor. I also found the distortion from the Recon3D USB to be very low, just testing by ear, and it responded well to double-amping (no problems).

i'm probably going to be blown away by the 701 without an amp, i'm using k81's at the moment!
or do you think I should get an amp right away

so if I keep the u3, and use it like MLE does- as a Digital transport to pipe DDL signal to a DAC/amp, or use analogue output to go to a headphone amp (is that what you do? if so what amp are you running?)

the only advantage of the recon then would be mac support, and console support (both good advantages), and would probably be a better solution than getting the DSS to use with consoles and mac (figured out that it probably won't work on mac without a dolby digital live output, which AFAIK isn't possible on mac), so the recon is the perfect solution then it seems!
disadvantage is that it's twice the price, and therefore eats into my amp buying money

if there was software that coded DH to use with my built in SPDIF that would mean I could just go from built in SPDIF to a DAC/amp 

if I could get something to output 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #15,620 of 48,566
i'm probably going to be blown away by the 701 without an amp, i'm using k81's at the moment!
or do you think I should get an amp right away

so if I keep the u3, and use it like MLE does- as a Digital transport to pipe DDL signal to a DAC/amp, or use analogue output to go to a headphone amp (is that what you do? if so what amp are you running?)

the only advantage of the recon then would be mac support, and console support (both good advantages), and would probably be a better solution than getting the DSS to use with consoles and mac (figured out that it probably won't work on mac without a dolby digital live output, which AFAIK isn't possible on mac), so the recon is the perfect solution then it seems!
disadvantage is that it's twice the price 

I haven't used the U3 myself. Right now I'm using a DSS, analogue out to my tube amp, and I'm not particularly interested in seeking another DH product. I sold my Recon3D USB in a bundle with my AD700 headphones, a "complete gamer kit," but I miss the Recon, and I had it plugged into my computer via USB (dual-boots Mac and Windows, and it continues to provide power through USB even if turned off) and optical to my Xbox at the same time, then a headphone-to-RCA cable into my tube amp, then Q701. I don't currently own a proper external DAC, unless you count the DSS (works in stereo with the PC, but I don't use it that way), but that'll be the last thing I'll upgrade.

I'll actually make a weird recommendation. First, just plug your K701s into your device. It ought to still impress you with better refinement and detail, and be a clear upgrade. Then, save up for a good amp later, one you won't need to replace. It'll be like two surprises in just how great things can get, and you'll end up with a better amp.

I use a custom-made tube amp (a super simple 6DJ8 amp), a FiiO E12, and in my old apartment I used to use my Yamaha receiver for simplicity's sake (DAC, amp, surround processor, input switcher, and speaker amp all in one, with a remote control for bonus). Oh, I also used a FiiO E5 at first, that was ok and it did take a bit of the edge off of the treble, but better amps were better. Other good recommendations for amps are around, but I feel that tonally they're all pretty close if they're solid-state amps (which is partly why I'm playing with tubes), so pick one with a good match in high power and low output impedance.

I personally think THX TruStudio Pro was also an advantage of the Recon3D USB, but that's a taste thing.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #15,621 of 48,566
Quote:
If you're gaming, the Mixamp is a wiser choice. I would prefer playing and watching movies in Dolby Headphone off a horrible device than playing off the best stereo dac/amp in the world.

Also just in case you're ever considering it, don't get the E9 for the X1. The X1 has way too low of an impedance for the E9, and it may end up sounding worse, due to the E9's high output impedance. The E9 is more for headphones over 80ohms, though some exceptions (like the K70x aren't really affected by the high output).

Hmm, why did Fiio insist on putting the E12's analog input and headphone jack on the same side? Not to mention the USB on the side. All that stuff makes the front plate/side so cluttered with cables. I hate it when amps do this. Ah well.

I am most likely using the setup for 2 purposes: 1) Gaming and Movie on my desktop PC (i am driving sound through my Creative Soundblaster ZX and do not know if it can drive the X1 well enough) and 2) on my media box in my bedroom using optical out for DD as well 

So I am just wondering if i even need any more amp other that Astro Mixamp 5.8. And which portable amp will match X1 best. I have been reading conflicting review on each of Fiio Amps. I mean i am trying to stay away from desktop amps as i do not like clutter and unless it going to be decorative (ie nicely finished starving student tube amp ) 

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #15,622 of 48,566
ZX drives the X1 with no issues at all. I recommend listening out of the ZX first and then compare it to the mixamp to see what you think. The X1 is a low impedance high efficiency set, it can be driven well by iPods etc.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #15,623 of 48,566
Quote:
SouDesu, YES, that is correct. The E6... that's pretty weak for an amp, bu it's better than running anything out of the U3's amp.

The U3 has a thin, cold, weak sounding headphone amp. Get a dac/amp to attach to the U3 ASAP.

Didn't you say that the difference in sound between different amps is minimal? The X1 seems to require very little amping, so surely the Xonar DG / U3 would be fine? If not, could you recommend any amp in particular under $100? Keep in mind I'm a PC gamer.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #15,624 of 48,566
No, because the U3 has a really high output impedance. That will affect sound negatively. When I say amp differences aren't that huge, it's when comparing some legitimate amps.

Anyways...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Z6JkxdVKw[/VIDEO]

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #15,625 of 48,566
Quote:

I just bought the AKG 701, so might need to look into amping these in the future. For now the question is do I keep the u3 and use it as a headphone out for the 701 (with dolby headphone), and get an amp down the line and use with optical DAC (but won't work on mac as can't use u3's optical out, only analogue output or macbook pro's built in optical/analogue out), or upgrade to the u7 now and that might have a better inbuilt amp/dac? Doesn't have DH though, it has something else- dolby home theatre, apparantly it's not as good

I have both the Xonar U1 and the Xonar U7. The U1 has the same interface and the same options as the U3. But it has a better headphone amp section. It is good enough for Games and Movies. And you have the optical out that can feed the Dolby Headphone signal to your high quality DAC/AMP. The U7 on the other hand has a new Dolby implementation. It contains all Dolby Headphone algorithms and sounds for sure not worse than the U1/U3. But they gave up the manually selection of how many channels you want to run. Dolby says it is selected by the source automatically to grant you the best multichannel performance. And the user cannot select 2 channel when he has a 7.1 source. The U7 has a coax S/PDIF out and when using it you can still use the DH function of the Dolby software. But as I have no external DAC I cannot proof how good it sounds. The analog headphone out of the U7 outclasses the U1/U3. You can also enjoy your music with the K701 for sure, not only games and movies.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #15,626 of 48,566
Sure the u7 supports DH? It only says Dolby home cinema in the specs.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #15,627 of 48,566
I believe it's because they did away with calling it DH, as it's a software that works for speakers, headphones, etc. DH is embedded, FWIR.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #15,628 of 48,566
But still no console support...

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #15,629 of 48,566
No soundcard that I've seen has that...

Jesus, man, The e12 has an incredibly tight volume knob. It's freaking hard to adjust.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #15,630 of 48,566
Keeps you safe from accidental ear blasting though 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back