Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #15,451 of 48,562
Quote:
But what about the sound compare to your 990 Pro? If it wasn't for the comfort, would u keep the X1?

I didn't have them long and I'm not as much as an audiophile as everyone else here so it's a bit hard to comment, but yes, if I could replace the earpads on the X1 with the ones from the dt990 then I would have kept them.  I also want to clarify it was just the earpads that weren't that comfortable for me, but the other things like the overall size and comfort of the headband felt better than my 990 pro.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #15,452 of 48,562
Having both, I find the sound and comfort better on the X1

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #15,453 of 48,562
Hey guys im looking for a cheap pair of gaming headphones for around $80 (less or more).  I have heard great things about the AD-700's but i have heard that the base is low and I want a pair that is good for fps ( BF3) and for normal use like music and YouTube.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #15,454 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey guys I'm looking for a cheap pair of gaming headphones for around $80 (less or more).  I have heard great things about the AD-700's but i have heard that the base is low and I want a pair that is good for fps ( BF3) and for normal use like music and YouTube.

If your music and movies do not need bass to sound good, get the AD700s.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #15,457 of 48,562
Damn, it's nice that u have both :) So which one do u use more for gaming? I would assume the X1? Also u have the Sound Blaster Z sound card too. That is exactly what I want to get. Just not sure whether I should get the DT 990 Pro or the X1.

I really don't use the 990's for anything since getting the X1. They are awesome for immersive gaming and music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of modern jazz (aggressive bass and drums) and dubstep, both of which sound great. For classical, I prefer my Sennheisers, for a more natural and neutral sound, so it can depend on what you like to listen to. The SB Z puts out a really nice clear sound and has some great processing available. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with the Z + X1.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #15,458 of 48,562
Quote:
I do many listen to techno half the time i'm not playing, any other recommendations? 

Check out the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!), it's by far the best bang for your buck out there for a gaming/musicality combo and they're right around your price range.  The AD700 is going to be a bit more sterile sounding and I'd only recommend them for serious competitive gaming and if you are using 3D virtualization software, but you can always use EQ if they seem bass-light I suppose - the CAL is pretty warm.  The AD700 will have the benefits of open headphones with a wider soundstage and more air.  The CAL is really great if you need -or- don't mind a closed headphone - I've personally not tried them with surround software, but I still feel they position well in some well-suited games alone.  I got my brother a pair and he loves them so far (slowly easing him to the dark side 
evil_smiley.gif
) and I can say they are quite enjoyable in games like BF3.  MLE's review of them is accurate from my experience.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #15,460 of 48,562
Quote:
Check out the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!), it's by far the best bang for your buck out there for a gaming/musicality combo and they're right around your price range.  The AD700 is going to be a bit more sterile sounding and I'd only recommend them for serious competitive gaming and if you are using 3D virtualization software, but you can always use EQ if they seem bass-light I suppose - the CAL is pretty warm.  The AD700 will have the benefits of open headphones with a wider soundstage and more air.  The CAL is really great if you need -or- don't mind a closed headphone - I've personally not tried them with surround software, but I still feel they position well in some well-suited games alone.  I got my brother a pair and he loves them so far (slowly easing him to the dark side 
evil_smiley.gif
) and I can say they are quite enjoyable in games like BF3.  MLE's review of them is accurate from my experience.

I agree CAL is awesome. Strap some HM5 pads on there if you have bigger ears and you have one of the lightest most comfortable under 100 phones around. 
I would add Koss KSC75, Portapros with clips, or Samson SR80/Superlux 668b to your list as well.

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #15,462 of 48,562
I really don't use the 990's for anything since getting the X1. They are awesome for immersive gaming and music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of modern jazz (aggressive bass and drums) and dubstep, both of which sound great. For classical, I prefer my Sennheisers, for a more natural and neutral sound, so it can depend on what you like to listen to. The SB Z puts out a really nice clear sound and has some great processing available. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with the Z + X1.

Damn, so you been using the X1 over the 990 since u got the X1? The X1 is really that good over the 990 Pro?

Jul 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #15,464 of 48,562
Jul 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #15,465 of 48,562
I really think the Sony MDR-MA900 needs to be added to this review. They are phenomenal for gaming, their soundstage is incredible and very 3D sounding. I honestly think their soundstage is quite a bit better than the Q701s and HD 598s, both of which can sound a bit congested and 2D in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back