Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #15,046 of 48,563
That sounds like an expensive and enthralling idea, sir. Sign me up. Seriously, though, I'll probably end up doing that, even if the HD800 comes later on.

I saw that you got yours from HeadAmp. Do you know how the warranty works for you if you ever happen to need service? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth taking a chance on PriceJapan. They're around $200 cheaper than buying from a Canadian place, including the import taxes, but their website says that a one-year "valid in Japan" warranty is issued for the items they buy. Apparently you have to send them back any defective item with shipping there and back at your cost.

Although, if the information on the Fostex website is right, that's kind of what I'd be doing locally anyway, it's just mailing it to a service place in Canada instead. Unless it mentions on the warranty card that you get to deal with Fostex directly.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #15,047 of 48,563
Quote:
That sounds like an expensive and enthralling idea, sir. Sign me up. Seriously, though, I'll probably end up doing that, even if the HD800 comes later on.

I saw that you got yours from HeadAmp. Do you know how the warranty works for you if you ever happen to need service? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth taking a chance on PriceJapan. They're around $200 cheaper than buying from a Canadian place, including the import taxes, but their website says that a one-year "valid in Japan" warranty is issued for the items they buy. Apparently you have to send them back any defective item with shipping there and back at your cost.

Yup, I spent a little more to have that security. I'm a warranty kinda guy. Don't quote me here, but to my understanding, if anything goes wrong I will send them to Justin at Headamp and he sends them in for repair/replacement. That is my understanding. Ill go look at the warranty card and if it says anything else I will report back. 

Edit: The only thing I could read on the card says don't drive or ride bicycles with the Fostex. Haha

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #15,048 of 48,563
Okay, thanks for pushing me towards reconsidering things, HB. And thanks, guys, for the other suggestions that basically made me read about things for hours on end trying to find every possible differing opinion and impression on a bunch of different headphones. Unfortunately, my circumstances have changed a bit in the past few hours so I'm going to have to hold off for now, but I'll most likely be grabbing the TH600 once things have gotten a little better financially. Thanks again, guys.

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #15,049 of 48,563
Quote:
I'm currently on vacation (staycation really), and my boy is visiting from Denmark. Disney, Wet n Wild, Universal Studios, etc.

He went and bought two Plyr1s off my recommendation to take back for him and his friend.

Skullcandy, you owe me!
biggrin.gif

If I'm not on much, its because, yeah. Living it up for a week.

You are contributor know? Gratz... 

Also, why havn't you tried hd800 for gaming yet?!

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #15,050 of 48,563
Really appreciate the thread MadLust and I recommend constantly to others over on gaming forums to come here for help with choosing their next audio solution. However now I find I'm in need of some help myself.

I've been trying to decide between the DT990's and HE-400.  90% of the time I will be using them for gaming and I'll be powering them with a Soundblaster ZxR sound card.  I do enjoy some good positional cues, however I'm mainly in it for the "fun" listening factor.  The  games I'm playing now are: Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, Crysis, Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, Skyrim, etc. I do not wish to spend more then $450, but I am open to suggestions for other headphones.

Any replies are very much appreciated, thanks.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #15,051 of 48,563
For the things the HE400 and DT990 do well, I recommend the Philips Fidelio X1. Seriously. Take the best things of both those you mentioned and you put themtogether, you get the X1. It doesnt have the Planar sound of the HE400, but Iit doesnt have overly exaggerated treble. It's as fun as the 990 too.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #15,052 of 48,563
You are contributor know? Gratz... 

Also, why havn't you tried hd800 for gaming yet?!

My job screwed me, and now I'm basically making what feels like minimum wage.

Yeah, way outside of my means.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #15,053 of 48,563
Quote:
For the things the HE400 and DT990 do well, I recommend the Philips Fidelio X1. Seriously. Take the best things of both those you mentioned and you put themtogether, you get the X1. It doesnt have the Planar sound of the HE400, but Iit doesnt have overly exaggerated treble. It's as fun as the 990 too.

damn you MLE, you keep making me want to get these as a secondary pair, or a pair to leave hooked to my PC so i don't have to keep switching. Your description though of them doesn't really sound like its worth it in my case, I am kind of looking for a pair that is more of a complimentary pair to go along with the Annies rather than replace them. I see X1 praise in a lot of threads now and my curiosity is going to get the better of me one day hah.

I was actually looking for some basshead styled headphones and I have been reading up on basically pro900 vs ath-pro700mk2.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #15,054 of 48,563
Well, I don't see the X1 as a replacement to the Annie at all. They're quite different. The X1 is more aggressive, the Annie os more linear and less fatiguing.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #15,056 of 48,563
It does it as well as any Dolby Headphone device. It's not the device that's the problem. It would be whatever headphone they have paired with it.

Because the DSS is typically paired up with Turtle Beach headsets, the surround won't come off that impressive. None of the Turtle beach headsets I demoed with the Dolby Headphone sounded even remotely decent. Those headsets are huge bottlenecks.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #15,057 of 48,563
Quote:
It does it as well as any Dolby Headphone device. It's not the device that's the problem. It would be whatever headphone they have paired with it.

Because the DSS is typically paired up with Turtle Beach headsets, the surround won't come off that impressive. None of the Turtle beach headsets I demoed with the Dolby Headphone sounded even remotely decent. Those headsets are huge bottlenecks.

I'm hoping the DSS would work well with my AKG K540...

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #15,058 of 48,563
I'm hoping the DSS would work well with my AKG K540...

I doubt it. That's a closed, small headphone. Those tend to have a closed in, small soundstage, which do not work well for virtual surround.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #15,059 of 48,563
Quote:
I doubt it. That's a closed, small headphone. Those tend to have a closed in, small soundstage, which do not work well for virtual surround.

I find the HiFiMAN headphone to perform quite nicely in DH. (At least the HE-6 does, but it would seem that the rest does well too)
The soundstage offers great positional and rear as well as front cues and decent soundstage depth and width.
Nothing quite like hearing crystal clear voices and ambient. Or bullets darting around your head :D

Although they are open-backed by design, the soundstage is their shortcoming IMO. Their soundstage depth seems to be better in games  than with music though , more holographic precisely.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #15,060 of 48,563
Just got my CAL! as suggested and ordered xonar dg !.

my first opinions on it.

I find em very comfortable. at least as of yet. My ears fit just in. The earcups are very comfortable and soft but not too soft.
I thought that the cal! will be much more plastic and fragile but actually it feels pretty solid and well built. Also the cable is not as this as everyone inclined. Most reviews are from 2008. Maybe they changed it since ?

As for the sound. They sound COMPLETELY different from my sound blaster tactic360 sigma. completely. This is my first set of real not gaming headphones. I am not sure what to think of it. I am not an audiophile wannable and have no idea how to describe their sound. But it seems warm and very balanced at the same time. Spacing seems about right (yet to play games) and somehow it manages to sound fluorishly and detailed at the same time. 

Wonder how it will be on xonar dg when it will come !

edit: one thing. I think I can hear the "errors" in music. This headphones leaves my 320mp3 nothing to defend with :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back