Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #15,031 of 48,563
TH600 sounds like a nice still-in-production alternative to the D7000, but what's the street price on it?  I'm seeing a MSRP of $1,299 !! 
eek.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #15,033 of 48,563
Quote:
That count for recommendations? You were looking for soundstage, right? AD700 (soundstage step up but maybe a step back overall for you), AKG flagships, HD800, and Stax setups should be your shortlist, IMO from my research.

Thanks. 
wink.gif

I've been trying to find impressions on all of these, and I probably am looking for something similar to the DT880s, but bringing the mids to the same level as the treble, bass either in line with the mids and treble or slightly louder and with decent impact, with slightly more discernible detail throughout the range, and better depth/imaging in general than the DT880 but not necessarily needing a lot of extra width. So, neutral or slightly darker than neutral for a little extra bass power, as detailed/transparent as possible, and better depth, all of which I think I pretty much nailed down originally.

The HD800 and a couple of the Stax sets seem to fit in that mould; the HD598, HD600, Q701, and K702/K712 have a lot things but seem like kind of a side-grade or compromise on others; the T1 sounds like it might mainly be a refinement of the DT880's overall sound signature so I might want something a little different, hence my thinking the HD800 might be a better fit. And, after reading more on the TH600 (and their big, much more expensive brother TH900), I'm thinking maybe the type of bass they produce might not be quite what I'm looking for with movies and gaming, but might work better than the HD800 for some music like electronic and hip-hop. But the amount of bass I get from my DT880s is already pretty much spot-on for me. Most of this seems (to me, at least) to be pushing me towards the HD800.

I'm still kind of curious if the T1 fixes the issues I have with the DT880s, but the more I read, the more similar it seems, again with lots of mentions of the treble being just slightly too harsh on the T1 in some cases, and the midtones either sounding slightly more distant or not having the same kind of detail or separation as you could get from the HD800, slightly smaller soundstage than the HD800, etc. But, you also have to make sure you have/get an amp that pairs well with either one. The Black Cube Linear/Lovely Cube seems like it's basically a middle-of-the-road choice for the HD800, where it's not bad but not necessarily the perfect pairing either.

And, again, I'm unfortunately having to buy based on second-hand information because nobody carries high end headphones around here so I can't really try anything out. I think, unless someone comes in and smashes my perceptions, I'll probably eventually end up getting a pair of HD800s. This would probably be a lot simpler if my living arrangement didn't preclude me from getting speakers, because then I'd probably just find a decent 5.1 setup and be happy.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #15,034 of 48,563
Quote:
Thanks. 
wink.gif

I've been trying to find impressions on all of these, and I probably am looking for something similar to the DT880s, but bringing the mids to the same level as the treble, bass either in line with the mids and treble or slightly louder and with decent impact, with slightly more discernible detail throughout the range, and better depth/imaging in general than the DT880 but not necessarily needing a lot of extra width. So, neutral or slightly darker than neutral for a little extra bass power, as detailed/transparent as possible, and better depth, all of which I think I pretty much nailed down originally.

The HD800 and a couple of the Stax sets seem to fit in that mould; the HD598, HD600, Q701, and K702/K712 have a lot things but seem like kind of a side-grade or compromise on others; the T1 sounds like it might mainly be a refinement of the DT880's overall sound signature so I might want something a little different, hence my thinking the HD800 might be a better fit. And, after reading more on the TH600 (and their big, much more expensive brother TH900), I'm thinking maybe the type of bass they produce might not be quite what I'm looking for with movies and gaming, but might work better than the HD800 for some music like electronic and hip-hop. But the amount of bass I get from my DT880s is already pretty much spot-on for me. Most of this seems (to me, at least) to be pushing me towards the HD800.

I'm still kind of curious if the T1 fixes the issues I have with the DT880s, but the more I read, the more similar it seems, again with lots of mentions of the treble being just slightly too harsh on the T1 in some cases, and the midtones either sounding slightly more distant or not having the same kind of detail or separation as you could get from the HD800, slightly smaller soundstage than the HD800, etc. But, you also have to make sure you have/get an amp that pairs well with either one. The Black Cube Linear/Lovely Cube seems like it's basically a middle-of-the-road choice for the HD800, where it's not bad but not necessarily the perfect pairing either.

And, again, I'm unfortunately having to buy based on second-hand information because nobody carries high end headphones around here so I can't really try anything out. I think, unless someone comes in and smashes my perceptions, I'll probably eventually end up getting a pair of HD800s. This would probably be a lot simpler if my living arrangement didn't preclude me from getting speakers, because then I'd probably just find a decent 5.1 setup and be happy.

My heart hurts reading this. Having gamed with both, the TH-600 offers an overall more "fun" experience while still retaining an amazing amount of clarity, detail, and transparency. If movie watching has any weight on your decision, there is no comparison between the two. The TH-600 offers a movie/ hi-fi  delicious sandwich. I too had my heart set on the HD800 after using it for movies/music/gaming and then heard the Fostex.  The HD800 is its own different kind of beast. While I found rear cues better on the Fostex, overall sound whoring would have to go to the Sennheiser. What I found was that while listening to the HD800 I was hooked on trying to hear every little detail and focus on the sound stage etc etc.. Listening to the Th-600 is more like relaxing and melting into the music, movies, games with immersion and fun, but it still has amazing positioning cues, sound stage, separation etc. The HD800's are like a science experiment. The TH-600's are like your super hot science teacher in a school girl outfit. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #15,035 of 48,563
God damn, man. Why you gotta do me like that?

Okay... I hadn't been able to find many reviews of the TH600, and could find nobody really comparing the TH600 and HD800 directly. So, a question for you: which one sounds more natural? That would probably be the deciding factor for me.

edit: I just remembered that there's a thread dedicated to them. I'll read through that, too.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #15,037 of 48,563
Man, that is a really hard question to answer. I am now biased based on my own likings, but these are both great headphones. One bit of impression I took away from comparing them...the TH600 has more impactful bass while not impeding on any other part of the spectrum. The HD800 seems to have more emphasis on the higher levels of the spectrum giving it superb detail whoring. I would not say the HD is lacking in bass, just does not give you that engaging impact I enjoy, especially with movies /games.  I personally feel like the TH600 is balanced very well, while the HD highs can be fatiguing. When people say this Can has a bass emphasis, or mid emphasis, I would say the TH has an everything emphasis. For music, the HD vocals are a little more out in front, while the TH is a little more inside.( It is a closed can) Since buying the Fostex I have told Burrito three or four times how happy I am that I purchased these over the HD, and he agrees. Plus you can score them for much cheaper.  The HD is amazing at detail, sound stage, but ultimately fatiguing. The TH gets a lot of love for its lows but really shines up top. Because the TH has such an amazing top end, and the HD can be overbearing., I would have to say the TH would be the more natural sounding headphone. Either way you can't go too wrong, but knowing what I know now I have to recommend the TH. Instead of purchasing the HD to compliment the TH, I plan on auditioning the TH900 for my next purchase. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #15,039 of 48,563
Quote:
One bit of impression I took away from comparing them...the TH600 has more impactful bass while not impeding on any other part of the spectrum. The HD800 seems to have more emphasis on the higher levels of the spectrum giving it superb detail whoring. I would not say the HD is lacking in bass, just does not give you that engaging impact I enjoy, especially with movies /games.  I personally feel like the TH600 is balanced very well, while the HD highs can be fatiguing.

Hmmmmm... I do like at least some amount of impactful bass, especially considering when I do listen to music, it usually does end up straying towards the hip-hop, electronic, R&B and the like. I don't know if you can remember, but do you know how they compare as far as forward or outward depth is concerned? Like, how far out does the soundstage feel on the two? Does the TH600 seem like it's placing instruments/sounds in relatively natural spaces?

Also, to a certain degree, I'm starting to think like "Look, the Fostex is around $600-800 cheaper. If you think you're still missing something in the sound, you have more left to try something else later!". Is... is this that Head-Fi addiction thing I keep hearing about?

Glad to help. What state are you located in? I've always wanted to hear the DT880, maybe we could do a loan trade.
Pretty sure most people have a hard time auditioning.

I'm actually up in Canada, Manitoba more specifically. Right smack-dab in the middle of the country.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #15,041 of 48,563
Yeah, at the least, Happy Bullets has so far made me rethink my decision to go with the HD800. After much more searching, it seems like it might have more in common with the DT880s than I originally thought, and possibly also a less involving sound. The Fostex cans sound like a more interesting proposition the more I read...

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #15,042 of 48,563
The difference to your Pro 2900 will be glorious (I once had a 2900 too)

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #15,043 of 48,563
Also, to a certain degree, I'm starting to think like "Look, the Fostex is around $600-800 cheaper. If you think you're still missing something in the sound, you have more left to try something else later!". Is... is this that Head-Fi addiction thing I keep hearing about?

I'm actually up in Canada, Manitoba more specifically. Right smack-dab in the middle of the country.

Well, no, I wouldn't quite say you have Head-Fi addiction yet. I would say you are infected with Head-Fi reasoning and perspective though, lol! If it makes you feel any better, I want to someday own a Leica M9, a $3,500 no-frills camera without things like live-view image preview, autofocus, or even auto exposure. Oh, and each lens is another $1000-$4000 on top of that, and usually they're prime lenses that don't zoom in or out. I want one so bad...

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #15,044 of 48,563
I'm currently on vacation (staycation really), and my boy is visiting from Denmark. Disney, Wet n Wild, Universal Studios, etc.

He went and bought two Plyr1s off my recommendation to take back for him and his friend.

Skullcandy, you owe me! :D

If I'm not on much, its because, yeah. Living it up for a week.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #15,045 of 48,563
Quote:
Hmmmmm... I do like at least some amount of impactful bass, especially considering when I do listen to music, it usually does end up straying towards the hip-hop, electronic, R&B and the like. I don't know if you can remember, but do you know how they compare as far as forward or outward depth is concerned? Like, how far out does the soundstage feel on the two? Does the TH600 seem like it's placing instruments/sounds in relatively natural spaces?

With Dolby Headphones the Fostex holds its own producing better placed rear cues IMO. For music, comparing the HD800 sound stage to any other headphone is almost pointless because it has the most out of head music experience I have ever heard. This is by far the best quality of the HD if you ask me, and in my experience is unmatched. The sound stage of the HD is what produces its own brand of fun . That being said, I personally prefer the Fostex in every other aspect, the only fault I have is with the non detachable cable, but that is only a small gripe that does not affect much. Based on your genres of music and the fact this is a gaming thread, when comparing the two, I have received much more enjoyment from the Fostex. If you do use headphones for movies I cannot stress how amazing these are. Every headphone I have had in my home takes the movie test, and the Fostex surpasses them all. Like you said, you can pick up the Fostex for almost 700$ less than the Sennheiser, so there is only one clear option here. Buy the refurb HD800 from Crutchfield for 1100$, snag a pair of Fostex for 800$ish and for 400$ more than the HD msrp you have a super sick combo. 
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back