Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #14,671 of 48,565
Is there anything out there that supports DTS audio for the PC? Most of my movies have DTS sound and using something like the Mixamp results in no sound because there is no DTS support.

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #14,672 of 48,565
For some reason I catch myself using the X1 a lot more than the MDs... even for music. That's saying something about the X1 because I usually like my music to be in my face (rather than open).

The MDs are still badass, though...

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #14,673 of 48,565
Quote:
Is there anything out there that supports DTS audio for the PC? Most of my movies have DTS sound and using something like the Mixamp results in no sound because there is no DTS support.

Asus Xonar DS and DSX sound cards come with DTS audio support.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #14,674 of 48,565
Quote:

An A/V receiver such as Pioneer has excellent headphone surround that supports everything including DTS & Dolby TrueHD.  It can't decode DTS HDMA but, will use the core DTS instead.  I use XBMC for my Bluray .mkv's and it works perfectly with my entire 300+ collection.  I actually prefer the Pioneer virtual headphone surround sound compared to my Mixamp Pro (+ it acts as pretty strong amp as well).  Or the Victor SU-DH1 which I found to be near impossible to find.

Edit: I should have mentioned I have a HTPC not a desktop setup, sorry.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #14,675 of 48,565
Quote:
Hey Must Love Envy, should I purchase the Mediabridge 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable for my X1's? Would it effect sound quality in a positive way? Also, should I be worried about the cable jack eventually failing? Last of all, do you think the ear pads will last a long time? I've read that they are not removable.

I got this. ...
 Yes. Yes. No, be gentle. Yes, be gentle.

Read stuff.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #14,676 of 48,565
I got this. ...
 Yes. Yes. No, be gentle. Yes, be gentle.

Read stuff.

Thank you.

All 3.5mm jacks should be handled with care. That includes on your devices like phones, etc.

The mediabridge cable sounds fine. Better than stock. Easier to handle than the Inakustik Premium cable. If you're worried about low resistance, just get the Monoprice cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=2
They also have a 10ft version.

They look identical to the mediabridge cable, and I have a feeling they're the same cable (probably same OEM). Chico confirmed the Monoprice cable to be 0.4ohms, so you should be set. I can't confrim the Mediabridge cable's resistance until about 8 hours from now. You can wait until I conform the resistance, but the Mediabridge cable is twice as expensive for probably the same exact cable.

As for the pads, as long as you're not wearing them while being all dirty or wet or something, the pads should last a long time. If anything happens, I'd just contact Philips for a pad replacement. Not sure how long they'll be in business, though they'll probably transfer all the warranties and repairs to Funai.

The worst kind of pads in terms of long use is cheap pleather, which start to flake.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #14,678 of 48,565
I caught that. lol. I honestly which I could change my name, or start a new account, but I'm too well known as MLE. :frowning2:

Too much infatuation with the seven sins. :rolleyes:

That and Fullmetal Alchemist. :D

Wow, Amazon for some stupid reason will NOT allow my K702 65 review to be posted. I edited the hell out of it and they still won't accept it. :rolleyes:

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #14,679 of 48,565
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9765&seq=1&format=2
They also have a 10ft version.

They look identical to the mediabridge cable, and I have a feeling they're the same cable (probably same OEM). Chico confirmed the Monoprice cable to be 0.4ohms, so you should be set. I can't confrim the Mediabridge cable's resistance until about 8 hours from now. You can wait until I conform the resistance, but the Mediabridge cable is twice as expensive for probably the same exact cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5575&seq=1&format=2
Anyone know if the thick Monoprice cables have the same resistance?

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #14,680 of 48,565
Hi mad lust envy. Your guide is very helpful to me but I still have some questions regarding on which headphone I should get. I now have astro a50 but its mic problem is very annoying when talking quietly . I wonder if byerdynamic dt990 would250ohm pro (160) has better sound than a50? Fun wise. And u said it got strong clamp I also have a m50 and it hurts after 2hours of gaming I wonder if dt990 would hurt as bad? Thank you so much!

DT990's are far and away the most comfy pair I've ever owned. I could wear them all day with no issues at all. They will sound worlds better than the M50's for all applications and be a lot more comfy.

Thanks,

D

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #14,681 of 48,565
The A50 is nowhere near as good as the DT990 Pros. And the 990 Pros clamp less than the M50 (assuming you didn't bend the M50 for a looser fit.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #14,682 of 48,565
Quote:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5575&seq=1&format=2
Anyone know if the thick Monoprice cables have the same resistance?

Not sure, but I would strongly recommend NOT using the monoprice "premium" cables as a headphone cable.  They are super thick and super stiff and will likely destroy your jack.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #14,683 of 48,565
Quote:
That and Fullmetal Alchemist.
biggrin.gif

I've already watched the original Fullmetal Alchemist.
Is the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood different enough to be worth it to watch,
or is it mostly close to same as the original Fullmetal Alchemint?

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #14,684 of 48,565
Like Chico said, avoid that cable like the plague. It's a incredibly bulky. Like having two thick cables paired into one. (THICK cables per each channel). But the one that looks like the Mediabridge cable. Same low resistance (0.4ohm). I confirmed it today.

I've already watched the original Fullmetal Alchemist.
Is the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood different enough to be worth it to watch,
or is it mostly close to same as the original Fullmetal Alchemint?

Brotherhood is so good, it renders the original pointless. No, really. It's amazing. The story deviates from the original by quite a bit. New characters are introduced, and the way it ends, it may as well be a different story altogether.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #14,685 of 48,565
Quote:
Brotherhood is so good, it renders the original pointless. No, really. It's amazing. The story deviates from the original by quite a bit. New characters are introduced, and the way it ends, it may as well be a different story altogether.

Cool, I can add it to my Netflix list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back