Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #14,626 of 48,564
The TH-900 is pure euphōnia, Real joy, it sings, it laughs, it dances, it smiles, clad in wonderful colors and flowers it flirts with me in its pure beauty. 

I prefer to refrain from exaggerations, hype and overreactions but I am really wowed and joyful. I understood why people love the D7000 so much when I listened to it, why they pay so crazy amounts here in the EU for used ones after the last new one found its lucky owner.

Fostex perfected it. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #14,627 of 48,564
Quote:
I don't have a multimeter.

No problem...I do have a question regarding competitive gaming w/ Annie, X1, and D7000. If anyone has experience w/ these in online play particularly w/ BF3, Black Ops (or any COD), etc., I was curious which one (X1 or Annie) does the majority prefer?  I am keeping the D7000 for movies/single player games w/out question but, have not tested online beyond Crysis3 ( I sold most online FPS games when I only owned Annie and was disgusted w/ Treyarch for removing Harcore FFA).  If anyone could help me w/ some more first experience before my return window expires, I would appreciate it.  I am leaning to the Annie as a complement (online play only) because I have D7000 for movie bliss and X1 is more similar to it than Annie.

PS thanx to everyone here for making me a freakin' headphone addict...my wallet salutes you.lol

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #14,628 of 48,564
Quote:
The TH-900 is pure euphōnia, Real joy, it sings, it laughs, it dances, it smiles, clad in wonderful colors and flowers it flirts with me in its pure beauty. 

I prefer to refrain from exaggerations, hype and overreactions but I am really wowed and joyful. I understood why people love the D7000 so much when I listened to it, why they pay so crazy amounts here in the EU for used ones after the last new one found its lucky owner.

Fostex perfected it. 

But is it worth nearly 3X that of the D7000??

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #14,629 of 48,564
Quote:

In my experience with the TH-900 I would pay no more than $1200 US for one. I think I am one of the few that does not think it belongs in the same breath as the HD 800 or LCD-3.

Then again, unlike other folks in this thread I gotta have my mids. I can't imagine someone who likes the D7000 to not like the TH-900.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #14,630 of 48,564
Quote:

In Germany D7000 prices range from 750-850€ USED, some ebay auctions even go beyond that. Different situation here. So from what I have paid (I paid below official price as usual) it is a bit below double the amount of a used D7000. (1400€). Talking about "worth the price" in High End audio is very subjective. If I had to choose from both and not enough money for the TH-900 I'd rather save up for it knowing I would regret buying the "lesser" product (In Germany we say something along "the better stuff is the good stuff's enemy." :D). In the long run the price difference is nothing. 

It competes very well with the HD 800 (which I own as well) and is the better "desert island" headphone imo.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #14,631 of 48,564
If you already own the D7000, the Annie would make a better alternative than the X1, as the X1 has a similar balance of bass mids and treble as the D7000. Not exactly, but the Annie is a better contrast.

Daddy, just get the X1. It's the easiest to drive, the most comfortable, and has an added excitement over the Annie and HE400. Done.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #14,633 of 48,564
Daddy, just get the X1. It's the easiest to drive, the most comfortable, and has an added touch of excitement over the Annie and HE400. Done. Easiest choice. The Annie is for those who want a tad more balance and warmth, and the HE-400, while being technically the better of the three, has polarizing treble, that can bother some people, needs velours pads to sound better, and isn't the most comfy.

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #14,634 of 48,564
Mad Lust Envy.  You sir have produced a god of a thread man, and i dunno how you have kept up with it for so long. 

quick question.  Do you still recommend the AD700s as a really great choice for mostly gaming and decent music sound?  

I am planning on getting a PS4 but i will still mostly game on my PC.   Do you recommend getting the Astro Mixamp so can have great sound on both the PC and ps4? Or should i go buy a soundcard for PC, and plug my AD700s into my 5.1 reciever for my surround sound theater system?  would that make dolby sound work on the headphones, or do I have to have the mixamp to make it work? 

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #14,635 of 48,564
Quote:
Mad Lust Envy.  You sir have produced a god of a thread man, and i dunno how you have kept up with it for so long. 

quick question.  Do you still recommend the AD700s as a really great choice for mostly gaming and decent music sound?  

I am planning on getting a PS4 but i will still mostly game on my PC.   Do you recommend getting the Astro Mixamp so can have great sound on both the PC and ps4? Or should i go buy a soundcard for PC, and plug my AD700s into my 5.1 reciever for my surround sound theater system?  would that make Dolby sound work on the headphones, or do I have to have the mixamp to make it work? 

Running HDMI from the computer's graphics card to the Onkyo and the PS4's HMDI out to the Onkyo, will provide the best audio quality and surround sound for the analog 5.1 speaker output.
Adding something like the Asus Xonar DG ($30) or DGX ($45) to the windows PC is a low cost way of getting headphone surround sound for PC games (plug ATH-AD700s into Xonar DG(X))
I'm going to guess the Mix-amp will be a good choice for plugging into the optical output on the PS4 and using the ATH-AD700 plugged into the Mix-Amp.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #14,636 of 48,564

I am planning on getting a PS4 but i will still mostly game on my PC.   Do you recommend getting the Astro Mixamp so can have great sound on both the PC and ps4? Or should i go buy a soundcard for PC, and plug my AD700s into my 5.1 reciever for my surround sound theater system?  would that make dolby sound work on the headphones, or do I have to have the mixamp to make it work? 

Thanks. The Ad700 isn't that great for music, IMHO. It's very, very lean on bass, dry sounding, and the treble can be harsh and grainy. I'd use it only for competitive gaming. I don't know what your budget is, but you may wanna check what headphones I'd consider as all rounders (there is a list on the first page, saying what I like for competitive, fun, and all around. The X1 hasn't been reviewed yet, but if you can spend as much as the X1, that'd be my first recommendation. the K702 Annie would be second, at least in the price range. If you can spring that sort of cost, the lower priced all rounders like the Creative Auravana Live (under $100), the DT990 Pro (under $200, fairly bassy and open, with a lot of treble).

The next step up from the AD700 directly would be the Q701, which is a better headphone in almost every regard. Not my first choice for music, but it's pretty good. As for your receiver, I'm not sure it has a proper virtual surround. I wouldn't use the Mixamp for the PC. A cheap alternative would be the Xonar U3 which runs for less than $50. You can use that for PC, and maybe find a used Turtle Beach DSS for cheap on Ebay, which would help you out for consoles, unless you can afford Mixamp.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #14,637 of 48,564
Quote:
Running HDMI from the computer's graphics card to the Onkyo and the PS4's HMDI out to the Onkyo, will provide the best audio quality and surround sound for the analog 5.1 speaker output.
Adding something like the Asus Xonar DG ($30) or DGX ($45) to the windows PC is a low cost way of getting headphone surround sound for PC games (plug ATH-AD700s into Xonar DG(X))
I'm going to guess the Mix-amp will be a good choice for plugging into the optical output on the PS4 and using the ATH-AD700 plugged into the Mix-Amp.

I am so sorry, I don't really know anything at all about audio.  What would running the HDMI from the computer's graphics card to the onkyo do exactly? You mean have my computer sounds come from the 5.1 receiver and plug my headphones into that?  That does sound like a good idea, but unfortunately where my receiver is gonna be a good 10-12 feet away from my computer monitor :frowning2: That surround sound setup is gonna be used for my 32 inch TV with the ps4.  My computer is completely seperate, so i need a different solution. 

Mad Lust,  Really music quality isn't all that important to me, as long as they sound better than my current logitech g35s.  Also cant the mixamp help boost the bass on the AD700s? 

With the 5.1 receiver, for my surround sound theater.  Will that produce 5.1 on my headphones? with high quality?  If so then I guess the best solution would be to buy a sound card and just transfer the headphones from the port to the sound card, to the port on the receiver? Also i have a friend willing to sell me a Sound Blaster  X-fi Titanium Fatality pro gamer's choice, for 50 bucks,  Is that a good deal? Is this card still good today to use? 

Also my budget depending on if i go for mixamp or not, isn't much for headphones.  Total package of headphones plus either amp or soundcard, needs to stay under 250 if i can. :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #14,638 of 48,564
Daddy, just get the X1. It's the easiest to drive, the most comfortable, and has an added touch of excitement over the Annie and HE400. Done. Easiest choice. The Annie is for those who want a tad more balance and warmth, and the HE-400, while being technically the better of the three, has polarizing treble, that can bother some people, needs velours pads to sound better, and isn't the most comfy.
So for the same price, you would get the X1 over the AKG 702 65TH Anniversary, HE-400 and the HD 650? I just found out razordogaudio carries the HD 650 for $399.

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #14,639 of 48,564
So for the same price, you would get the X1 over the AKG 702 65TH Anniversary, HE-400 and the HD 650? I just found out razordogaudio carries the HD 650 for $399.

I already answered you. X1. The 650 doesnt do gaming as well. I mentioned that on the guide. Really beginning to think people don't read my reviews.

I am so sorry, I don't really know anything at all about audio.  What would running the HDMI from the computer's graphics card to the onkyo do exactly? You mean have my computer sounds come from the 5.1 receiver and plug my headphones into that?  That does sound like a good idea, but unfortunately where my receiver is gonna be a good 10-12 feet away from my computer monitor :frowning2: That surround sound setup is gonna be used for my 32 inch TV with the ps4.  My computer is completely seperate, so i need a different solution. 

Mad Lust,  Really music quality isn't all that important to me, as long as they sound better than my current logitech g35s.  Also cant the mixamp help boost the bass on the AD700s? 

With the 5.1 receiver, for my surround sound theater.  Will that produce 5.1 on my headphones? with high quality?  If so then I guess the best solution would be to buy a sound card and just transfer the headphones from the port to the sound card, to the port on the receiver? Also i have a friend willing to sell me a Sound Blaster  X-fi Titanium Fatality pro gamer's choice, for 50 bucks,  Is that a good deal? Is this card still good today to use? 

Also my budget depending on if i go for mixamp or not, isn't much for headphones.  Total package of headphones plus either amp or soundcard, needs to stay under 250 if i can. :frowning2:

The Onkyo doesn't have virtual surround. Soundcards won't pass virtual surround to external devices. IF your computer passes surround through it's optical out to the Mixamp, that can be a good device to use for both Pc and your external devices, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I have an expensive Alienware laptop with an optical out, and it doesn't pass 5.1 out, so it won't work with my mixamp.

Again, something like the Xonar U3 for your computer (or an internal card like the Asus essence ST), and a Mixamp/DSS for external devices.

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #14,640 of 48,564
Quote:

Also my budget depending on if i go for mixamp or not, isn't much for headphones.  Total package of headphones plus either amp or sound card, needs to stay under 250 if i can. :frowning2:

Skip my idea of connecting the computer to the Onkyo.
Just get the Asus Xonar DG sound card for the PC, using the Mix-amp with the PC would not offer any better features over the Xonar DG (for the PC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back