Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 22, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #14,611 of 48,565
Well, midfi dynamics don't always have the cleanest treble, and I would probably rather the X1smooth it off rather than have annoying treble sibilance. But isn't that what they are already doing? Are you saying you want more >10khz response from them?

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #14,613 of 48,565
Quote:
Also graphs don't represent what we hear as a whole. The D7000 completely demolishes the 280 in sub bass, yet the graph doesn't show that.

Well maybe head-rooms graphing methodology doesn't work as well with closed back headphones- check innerfidelity on the 2:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7000B2012.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD280Pro.pdf

As you can see, its the reverse here. The D7000s have 5 db more sub bass then the 280s.

remembering that 10db is interpreted as a doubling of volume to the human ear....

HOLY CRAP WHAT KIND OF BASS IS THAT LOUD?!*

*Edit: Without EQ. My EQ adds 7 db sub-bass when I watch movies... That should put it up there in quantity, but definitely not quality. At least, I assume. I can't actually hear that huge of a difference (as in its not night and day) when listening to all the really expensive headphones.

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #14,614 of 48,565
Just a little more treble would be nice... for me at least
I wouldn't mind a little more treble, as long as they can cleanly pull it off. They might be taking the safer approach. Still, they have more treble than the anniversaries, which I appreciate.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #14,615 of 48,565
Well, midfi dynamics don't always have the cleanest treble, and I would probably rather the X1smooth it off rather than have annoying treble sibilance. But isn't that what they are already doing? Are you saying you want more >10khz response from them?

Yes, not more 10khz, but more >10khz, at least with a gentle drop off, not a staggering drop that it has. It's a non-issue, but it does mute some of the extension, and some 'S' sounds aren't even audible. Like when I'm watching a show or playing a game and they're talking, 'S' in speech isn't always properly reproduced. I mean, this is a very minor gripe in contrast to EVERYTHING the X1 does so well. It's more of perfecting this minor gripe. I honestly wouldn't even bother EQ-ing it in, as I'm perfectly fine with it's sound as is. Just, in the future, it could be done, though not sure the Fidelio line has much of a future with Funai taking over.

We're talking a 20db+ deficiency AFTER 10khz. That's a bit much. That kills off basically ALL treble extension.

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #14,616 of 48,565
I see.

While I agree, I also this this is something we wouldn't be discussing if we hadn't looked at graphs of the X1.  
I myself haven't looked that closely at the graphs, so I just said "The X1s have a hint of treble sparkle but are still a smooth sounding." 

Adding too much more above 10 khz would probably make them annoying sounding, but a more gentle roll off would be OK.  This is all nitpicking of course, as the X1 already sounds great.

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #14,617 of 48,565
No, seriously, I haven't seen this graph for awhile. The first shortcoming I heard with the X1 was the lack of detail in the Ss when people spoke. That's when I checked the graph again. I was wondering why Ss sounded so muffled at times. You don't even need to look at the graph to hear it. It's an obvious thing. Some words are cut short because of it. Like they just stop speaking. It's glaring at first.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #14,618 of 48,565
And just to give a different angle on this, I actually do enjoy the AD-series' signature more with general purpose material than I do the K702-65. Not a popular opinion, for sure, so no one should ever put a lot of weight behind it. On my journey and with everything I've read, I'm anticipating all road will lead to the HD 800. It just sounds like heaven.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #14,619 of 48,565
The lack of sibilance is glaring...

O_0

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #14,620 of 48,565
The lack of sibilance is glaring...

O_0

The lack of completed sentences that end with words like 'sentences', is glaring. :p

I keed. It's not THAT bad, but yeah, it can creep up sorta like that.

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #14,621 of 48,565
Got my Inakustik Star cable...only to find that it IS an optical cable. The description was completely wrong. Do NOT order this, thinking it's the 3.5mm cable (mis-labeled). It wasn't even the right length.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q9SRKQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sigh, another return...

Guess I'll stick to the Mediabridge cable for now.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #14,622 of 48,565
The 990 is bassy, but most of its bass is mid bass, not deep bass. As far as open cans with deep bass goes, the HE400 and LCD2 hit the deepest. The X1 is very good on deep bass, but bigger on mid bass. If I had to choose on bassiness, definitely the X1 has more of what I look for in terms of emphasis and presence.

You can't expect a lot of deep bass from open cans, and they are few and far between. Don't expect it for cheap, either.

My recommendation for you for gaming of all types is the Philips X1. For more balance, yet still very good bass, the K702 65th Anniversary.

In other news:

Dealzon has a lot of sales for PC games. I just got the last DMC (Devil may Cry) for $24. It's the lowest it's been ever, and I didn't wanna wait any longer for it to go down. I knew it'll probably go down like another $10 in a few months, but I can't wait that long. Been waiting to play that game for like ever.
Thankyou! I'm leaning towards either the X1 or K702 65th Anniversary. The X1 = $384 after taxes and the K702 is $399. Which is the better deal? BTW, the HE-400 can be had for $375....

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #14,623 of 48,565
Quote:
Got my Inakustik Star cable...only to find that it IS an optical cable. The description was completely wrong. Do NOT order this, thinking it's the 3.5mm cable (mis-labeled). It wasn't even the right length.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q9SRKQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sigh, another return...

Guess I'll stick to the Mediabridge cable for now.

What's the resistance on the Mediabridge cable...if you have a multimeter to test with??

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #14,625 of 48,565
Quote:
I don't have a multimeter.

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back