Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 19, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #14,522 of 48,583
Really loving the X1 and MD....
L3000.gif

Looking forward to your review of the X1!

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #14,523 of 48,583
That review is gonna take some time, at least the competitive portion of it. Fun so far is a 9-9.25 for sure. Comfort is a 9.5. Haven't gamed on consoles lately, and so I can't vouch for it's competitive use just yet.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #14,524 of 48,583
Wow! I never realized how horrible mouse acceleration is for accuracy. For some reason, you really need it to use the touch-pad mouse on the laptop, but it destroys the use of an actual mouse.

Edit: Hmm... If I mess around with the speeds and other options I can make both ways very good outside of games.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #14,526 of 48,583
Wow! I never realized how horrible mouse acceleration is for accuracy. For some reason, you really need it to use the touch-pad mouse on the laptop, but it destroys the use of an actual mouse.

Edit: Hmm... If I mess around with the speeds and other options I can make both ways very good outside of games.

Oh absolutely. Mouse accelleration needs to be disabled completely if you want any type of accuracy to your aim. How else are you suppose to headshot a contact 300m out with your M98B with 8x scope while being engaged by targets from another direction who are suppressing you?

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #14,527 of 48,583
Quote:
Ooo. Gaming keyboard talk. Forgive me for adding to the OT discussion, but...

Gaming keyboards are a lot like headphones in that you need to make sure you're using the right one for the right job. For FPS competitive gaming, you want...
  1. Fully mechanical keys using Cherry MX Red switches (not brown, blue, or even black) for the absolute fastest response
  2. Tenkeyless so your hands are closer together
  3. PS/2 support with full N-key Rollover functionality so you can actually engage all of the keys you want to hit

...and that's it. Illumination, game mode, and other bells and whistles are just worthless gimmicks.

The Leopold Tenkeyless Linear Touch Keyboard meets every one of those requirements and is, quite simply, the best keyboard for FPS competitive gaming. The stuff from Razer and Logitech and (insert any "gaming" company here), it's just inferior product when compared to solid keyboards from brands like Leopold and Filco who just do things right without the bling. If I want flair, I'll throw some buttons on my sash.

Personally, I don't believe in the "linear keys for gaming" rhetoric. Absolutely hate 'em, in fact. I'd rather game on IBM buckling springs or Cherry MX Clears since the tactile feedback makes it clear to me which state the key's in.

It's sort of like preferring different sound signatures out of audio equipment.

As for a tenkeyless board...well, just make sure you have a standalone numpad somewhere if you need it. Even for FPS gaming, there are titles like the Starsiege: Tribes series that use the numpad for quick loadout selection, among other things. (And don't even get me started on hardcore flight sims and their tendency to use the entire keyboard three or four times over...though in those cases, you'll probably have custom cockpit panels.)

Oh, and I definitely wouldn't buy a modern motherboard without a PS/2 port for the keyboard, for the exact reason you stated. USB's generally limited to 6KRO + modifiers (like this DSI Modular Mac tenkeyless board I have lying around, awaiting more durable custom keycaps and an MX Clear switch swap one day), and the full NKRO boards are rather...quirky.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #14,528 of 48,583
I think tactile feedback actually makes a lot of sense in certain situations. My issue is when you're gaming for several hours and hitting the keys as long and quick as you have been in that time, the feedback and the pressure does fatigue your fingers. Take away the feedback and loosen up the pressure as much as you can (Cherry MX Red) and you got yourself hands that stay sharper for longer. It's a strange feel to get use to, no doubt. But after you become acclimated to it, I think the advantages become quite apparent. At least, they do for me.

But you're right. It's subjective. Different fingers, different keys.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #14,530 of 48,583
Quote:
I think tactile feedback actually makes a lot of sense in cetain situations. My issue is when you're gaming for several hours and hitting the keys as long and quick as you have been in that time, the feedback and the pressure does fatigue your fingers. Take away the feedback and loosen up the pressure as much as you can (MX Cherry Red) and you got yourself hands that stay sharper for longer. It's a strange feel to get use to, no doubt. But after you become aclimated to it, I think the advantages become quite apparent. At least, they do for me.

But you're right. It's subjective. Different fingers, different keys.

I'll admit that after hammering down on my IBM Model M 1391401 for a while (which, like all the early IBM-built boards, has noticeably stiffer buckling springs than the current Unicomp-built ones), anything with Cherry MX Blues or Browns feels downright mushy, with the keys being bottomed-out almost instantly. Then I use one of those for a while, go back to the Model M, and remember how stiff it really is.

Then again, I have a habit of striking keyboard keys pretty hard with my fingers no matter what I'm using. It's just the way I type.

While I still wouldn't want 'em on my primary keyboard...it might be considered for a gaming mini-keyboard sort of device, like the various Belkin/Razer N52s, the Logitech G13, the Razer Orbweaver, etc. I've actually seen pics of N52s modded with MX Reds on Geekhack before. (But then such a device would have to fight for desk space, which is at a premium when it's dominated by a full-size keyboard, a decently-sized mousepad, and a CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle already. I'd even throw the 3Dconnexion SpacePilot on top of that list if I actually used it regularly.)

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #14,531 of 48,583
I'm glad I just game on consoles. :)

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #14,532 of 48,583
I've expanded to PC because of my new laptop, but once that gets to the point where I can't run games as good as the PS4 (the PS4 as 2 more gb of DDR5 memory than my lappy), I may go back to just console gaming. I'll have to see how my laptop runs next gen games. I'm sure it will keep up, but not COMPLETELY sure.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #14,533 of 48,583
I didn't want to deal with the hassle and money of doing all those computer upgrades. Consoles are better for me.

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #14,535 of 48,583
@NameLessPFG: I can only imagine how much you'd hate using a linear switch considering your keyboard history, haha. 

I LOVE talking about peripherals. Hell, I even made a video about mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKyUNXwOnG0 (sorry for the plug)

For a summary, however, I rock a Filco Majestouch Ninja 2 Tenkeyless Cherry MX Red, a Razer Death Adder (CONSIDER THIS MOUSE!!), a Qpad Heaton, and a Sennheiser PC360. I love large hard mouse pads because all of my sensitivities equate to 22" to perform a 360; I use a very low sensitivity so I need my pads to be large so I can at least 180.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back