Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 18, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #14,446 of 48,562
I dunno. I think they're doing it to MAKE companies take advantage of it in the future.

Just like making Kinect mandatory. With the Eyetoy, it's optional, therefore companies can opt out of having to use it. With the Kinect, it's like they're forcing devs to try and integrate into everything.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #14,447 of 48,562
I dunno. I think they're doing it to MAKE companies take advantage of it in the future.

Just like making Kinect mandatory. With the Eyetoy, it's optional, therefore companies can opt out of having to use it. With the Kinect, it's like they're forcing devs to try and integrate into everything.
If companies are going to take advantage of it, why isn't it mandatory for the whole day instead connecting to the internet once every day?

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #14,448 of 48,562
Quote:
 The "cloud" buzzword they're so fond of has so far only amounted to what is basically the dedicated servers and "ghost" states we've had for years. It's basically the same as what Sim City promised and that didn't end well. Not drinking the Kool-Aid yet. The offloading of computing to "the cloud" is potentially exciting, but with todays internet tubes it's fairly limited in scope. The xbox division has a messaging problem and I suspect it's partly because they just don't have a answer for how this benefits the consumer in any way. I'm all for making sacrifices in the name of progress, but so far the only progress is the fattening of the publishers' wallets. What are the pros for everyone else?

That summed it up nicely, most notably the point about SimCity. "Cloud" is just another buzzword to try to sell you something we're not ready to fully adopt and integrate. Sure, it sounds great on paper, but integration will be difficult. Developers have a hard enough time giving me a game with more than 8-10 hours of campaign and not destroying their budget (single player focus with tacked on multiplayer). How are they going to work in all these new and worthwhile features when they can't even handle their stuff now? 

On top of all that, what happens when they take the cloud down? Can I not play my game anymore? Can I not get the full experience? Why should I, the consumer, be punished? I just wanted to play my game. Who is going to pay for the server upkeep of this cloud? The publisher? Microsoft? Me?

There are too many unanswered questions at this point. I'll believe it when I see it. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #14,449 of 48,562
Quote:
So there are pros to go with those cons.

Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros by far.

I am a gamer because it is a hobbie that has stuck with me since I was a kid... back when I used to borrow more games than I owned. Microsoft is obviously aiming its marketing towards the wealthy consumer (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

It's still a slap in the face to the rest of their community

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #14,450 of 48,562
How do you think the Xbox One will sell to the casual market? Since that is what they are aiming for... I wonder how well they aimed for them. Excluding price, it seems they did well. Including price, though, oh jeez. Would a casual player even spend that kind of money on a console?

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #14,451 of 48,562
Quote:
How do you think the Xbox One will sell to the casual market? Since that is what they are aiming for... I wonder how well they aimed for them. Excluding price, it seems they did well. Including price, though, oh jeez. Would a casual player even spend that kind of money on a console?

Go on Amazon to look at the launch editions of the Xbox One and PS4... and see which is still available for pre-order. That should give you the answer on how they're doing with the casual market.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #14,452 of 48,562
Quote:

That was Nintendo's angle ever since the Wii came out, the casual/family oriented gaming market, so they have the stronghold there already.  The WiiU is more competitively priced in that arena, so I don't think it will do so well.  The XboxOne is targeting the entire entertainment system (sans TV and audio configuration of course) and integrating it all with your home network, plus a bunch of mandatory accessories, requirements and restrictions that users (and especially gamers) love!  I am exclusively a PC gamer, originally an old school console gamer so I still have most of those (all pre-seventh gen, but the GF has an XBOX360) and I can tell you if I were to pick a gen 8 console right now it would hands down be the PS4, not even considering exclusives.  Sony has the right strategy, and Nintendo is chugging along as usual.  Those funds are going towards a new vidjacard this Fall, though.  
cool.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #14,454 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm going to purchase the Takstar HI-FI 2050's, because of the sheer amount of people all over these boards reccommending them for budget. They also look a lot like beyerdynamic's. :)

I almost bought those a while ago because I liked the design and I was curious how they sounded, but I figured I would probably never use them next to my other cans.

They're also some clones of it with a mic, like the Qpad HQ-85.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #14,455 of 48,562
Looks like Turtle Beach already has a license to release headsets for Xbox One: http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/xbox-one/accessories

Hopefully someone out there will release some kind of adapter... even if it's an unofficial one you have to get off Amazon or Ebay or something.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #14,456 of 48,562
Quote:

Go on Amazon to look at the launch editions of the Xbox One and PS4... and see which is still available for pre-order. That should give you the answer on how they're doing with the casual market.

The casual market doesn't pre-order anything, though. The console has to prove itself to them once it gets out on the market. The only problem is I don't think it CAN with its price.

Anyways, a few months back I realized I actually like playing on consoles more then on PCs. I still use my gaming rig a lot, but I've been slowly moving away from it back towards consoles. That is kind of backwards from how you are supposed to do it. I might have to get a mix amp of sorts, then. Hmm.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #14,457 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm going to purchase the Takstar HI-FI 2050's, because of the sheer amount of people all over these boards recommending them for budget. They also look a lot like Beyerdynamic's. :)

I bought the Hi2050 because it looked liked the Beyer DT880, the real DT880 does sound better, but the Hi2050 is still a good value.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #14,458 of 48,562
Quote:
Looks like Turtle Beach already has a license to release headsets for Xbox One: http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/xbox-one/accessories

Hopefully someone out there will release some kind of adapter... even if it's an unofficial one you have to get off Amazon or Ebay or something.

At absolute worst case scenario, I would think it would be possible to cut up the official xbox one headset and use it to be able to connect to a mixamp. After all, it is using a single speaker and a single microphone as does the current gen.

-Erik

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #14,459 of 48,562

Quote from Forbes:
In talking to a developer who wished to remain anonymous, gamers will see a difference on Day One when they compare third party PS4 games to Xbox One head-to-head. The developer told me the PS4 is 40 percent more powerful than Xbox One and games like Call of Duty Ghosts will be noticeably different out of the gate.

Oh. Well then XD
So... PS4 40% more powerful... Wow...

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #14,460 of 48,562
As it currently stands, buying the Xbox One should be a sign that the person is simply choosing to purchase an inferior product or simply lacking logical rational.

Things could change in the future.

TV TV TV TV, SPORTS, TV TV TV TV, CALL OF DUTY, TV TV TV. Couldn't help myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back