Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #14,416 of 48,564
Electrostats are something else, man. It's hard to listen to dynamic drivers when you truly get to learn an electrostat that strikes perfectly in line with your tastes.

Hushhh now... Don't tempt the crowd...

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #14,418 of 48,564
Quote:
The X1 just went back up to $350 on Amazon

FYI to all X1 buyers....There might be some like myself that are curious about the Monoprice cable but, it actually has @1ohm resistance so although better than stock (@2ohm), it isn't the @0.5ohm? of the VModa cable.

MLE or other familiar users,

I thought I saw that you had the Mediabridge cable from Amazon.  Is that cable = to the Vmoda or would you say it's even worth it to switch?

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #14,419 of 48,564
Quote:
FYI to all X1 buyers....There might be some like myself that are curious about the Monoprice cable but, it actually has @1ohm resistance so although better than stock (@2ohm), it isn't the @0.5ohm? of the VModa cable.

MLE or other familiar users,

I thought I saw that you had the Mediabridge cable from Amazon.  Is that cable = to the Vmoda or would you say it's even worth it to switch?

I have a Vmoda cable that came with my Mad Dogs that I use with the X1, and it is a noticeable improvement. I have a 10ft Pipeline audio cable I use with it, too... with the same result.

Edit: Sorry, you wanted info on the Mediabridge cable (have not tried it yet)

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #14,420 of 48,564
So did you guys hear that they're having trouble getting the Xbox One to not overheat, so for now, they have to under-clock it? That would explain why they used PCs during E3. Man...

Is that Microsoft's spin on the PC "emulation" debacle? If they were trying to get people's attention away from the used game DRM, they might have succeeded with that and the 21-country initial launch region lock. But then again, since the PS4 has slightly better hardware and doesn't seem to have reports of heat issues, comparisons are probably still abound.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #14,421 of 48,564
Quote:

I've read the V-moda has 1.3 ohms though...
confused.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/1275#post_9436401

How did you measure the monoprice cable?  I have a multimeter so I might try and measure it for kicks.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #14,422 of 48,564
Jun 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #14,423 of 48,564
Just realized that the Xbox One controller has a proprietary connector port on the bottom of it instead of the usual 2.5mm mic chat port.

IGN also has a story talking about this: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-incompatible-with-current-gaming-headsets

For us Astro Mixamp users, doesn't that basically make the Mixamp obsolete? (at least for voice chat purposes).

Playstation 4-wise, Astro could possibly just release a new firmware for the Mixamp to make it compatible via USB (like it is on the Playstation 3).

What do you guys think?

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #14,424 of 48,564
Just realized that the Xbox One controller has a proprietary connector port on the bottom of it instead of the usual 2.5mm mic chat port.

IGN also has a story talking about this: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-incompatible-with-current-gaming-headsets

For us Astro Mixamp users, doesn't that basically make the Mixamp obsolete? (at least for voice chat purposes).

Playstation 4-wise, Astro could possibly just release a new firmware for the Mixamp to make it compatible via USB (like it is on the Playstation 3).

What do you guys think?

I'm sure there will be some kind of solution by either Microsoft or a 3rd party.

-Erik

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #14,425 of 48,564
Quote:

Quote:
I'm sure there will be some kind of solution by either Microsoft or a 3rd party.

"While it's possible that either Microsoft or third-party makers could develop an adapter to offer backwards compatibility, we're told that the new port is part of a larger strategy to gain control over the accessory market. Manufacturers will not only need to develop entirely new products for the new connection standard, but use licensing and authentication protocols from Microsoft, potentially driving up costs for consumers. The licensing program could also limit the variety and competitive nature of the accessory market since all manufacturers would be required to adhere to Microsoft's terms."

Doesn't sound good.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #14,426 of 48,564
Quote:
Electrostats are something else, man. It's hard to listen to dynamic drivers when you truly get to learn an electrostat that strikes perfectly in line with your tastes.

Never thought I'd hear that coming from you, given your earlier statements in this very thread.

Though I do have to admit, I didn't truly appreciate my SR-Lambda 'til I started to audition other headphones...even more modern Stax sets like the SR-202. And I keep going back to that vintage set every single time, because its midrange and vocal reproduction in particular is so sublime. (Low clamping force helps, too; I'd probably love the ESP/950 because of that.)

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #14,427 of 48,564
Quote:

I've read the V-moda has 1.3 ohms though...
confused.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/1275#post_9436401

How did you measure the monoprice cable?  I have a multimeter so I might try and measure it for kicks.

Tyll @ InnerFidelity stated the VModa cable had 0.5 ohm in his X1 review.  My multimeter has alligator clip leads so its a little easier to measure.  He claimed 0.5-0.8 is normal so the Monoprice (1ohm) may be negligible.  I run mine thru A/V receiver (via phones surround which I actually prefer over my MixAmp) so I would like every bit of improvement considering supposed common high impedance of headphone jack.

On a side note, can't wait to read MLE and your X1 comparisons/review.  I am having a hard time deciding between X1, Annie and D7000...ok not so much w/D7000 :) but, the He-400 has been dropped out of contention.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #14,428 of 48,564
I'm measuring 0.5 ohms on my Vmoda cable.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #14,429 of 48,564
Quote:

"While it's possible that either Microsoft or third-party makers could develop an adapter to offer backwards compatibility, we're told that the new port is part of a larger strategy to gain control over the accessory market. Manufacturers will not only need to develop entirely new products for the new connection standard, but use licensing and authentication protocols from Microsoft, potentially driving up costs for consumers. The licensing program could also limit the variety and competitive nature of the accessory market since all manufacturers would be required to adhere to Microsoft's terms."

Doesn't sound good.

Dangit, Bill Gates, why'd you have to go and retire?
frown.gif

Edit: Strangely, I did not like the HE90. I wonder if its possible to dislike electrostats o.O

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #14,430 of 48,564
Quote:

Doesn't sound good.

So no using your own headphones for gaming on the Xbox One?

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Get off the stage!!!  *throwing tomatoes*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back