Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #14,356 of 48,564
So I've been waiting to ask, how does the X1 do with position cues in game? In comparison to the Annie.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #14,357 of 48,564
Quote:
Umm...the whole point is to get surround sound to the headphones, which isn't possible unless a DD 5.1 decoding device is used.

I believe the Xbox's method of adjusting game/voice volume is to just drop the game volume while chat is happening, then raise it back up once it has stopped.  

I'm pretty sure the PS4s controller/headphone jack will just be a weak stereo output...

I see, I didn't realise you needed a decoding device to read the digital output of the xbox, I figured I could just plug the optical out straight into my dac/amp. Bummer.  Anyway I'll have to drag out my xbox and check how the game and voice sliders work I think. It's frustrating that you need so much gear just to get headphones to work properly with consoles, and as you say next gen doesn't look much better in that department.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #14,358 of 48,564
Quote:
Chico, by tonally neutral, I mean like voices and instruments. It mostly sounds neither warm or cold to me. But yes, in terms of bass and what it does to the sound, it does warm it up. The Annie just sounds smoother and warmer overall, though with less bass.

Bassy headphones can be cold/bright. For example: Pro 900, DT990.

I see what your saying, and when you listen to them by themselves they do sound pretty neutral, which is one of the reasons I like them.  The X1 do sound darker and smoother than the Q701 though, which sounds faster, drier, and arier.  The X1s aren't quite as smooth as the Anniversary though.

So I still think the X1 is tilted a bit towards warm, regardless of the bass.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #14,359 of 48,564
So I rented the Last Of Us. Played with the X1 and the Mixamp, and these sure do through out a pretty large soundstage. I was quite impressed.

I dunno if it's the game, my Mixamp, or the X1, but some rear positional cues sounded really distant and recessed... almost like if it was DH room 3. Naughty Dog doesn't have the best sound mixing anyways (the Uncharted games don't do virtual surround well). I didn't have this issue with BLOPS or Sleeping Dogs, so I'll blame the game.

I'm not to happy with the gameplay. I was bored, TBH. The story and characters make that game, and I don't wanna go through the gameplay just to see the story. Oh well.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #14,361 of 48,564
Yes. Naughty Dog titles and virtual surround don't pair up that well.

How are you liking the MD? Thoughts and impressions...

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #14,362 of 48,564
Quote:
Yes. Naughty Dog titles and virtual surround don't pair up that well.

How are you liking the MD? Thoughts and impressions...

I agree. I was asking because I thought I was the only one that noticed it. Do you set the center speaker on large or small?

MDs are quite different. Definitely impressed by the sound these babies produce. It could still use a bit more sub bass and some sparkle in the treble. Other than that these are keepers. Hopefully, Dan takes those two things into consideration for his 3.3 update (if there will be one).

Then again, I think I'm becoming somewhat of a basshead...
basshead.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #14,363 of 48,564
I leave it on small, since I believe setting it to large will lower voices, which isn't necessary. Not sure though.

I dont think Dan would go that route since 3.2 already reduced the mids for more bass. Any more and the MD will become v-shaped, which Dan isn't trying to do.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #14,364 of 48,564
Quote:
I leave it on small, since I believe setting it to large will lower voices, which isn't necessary. Not sure though.

I dont think Dan would go that route since 3.2 already reduced the mids for more bass. Any more and the MD will become v-shaped, which Dan isn't trying to do.

True.

Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet sound. I'm just still getting used to it because my ears have been accustomed to some bright cans in the past. I will definitely trade off what's been lost in treble for the bass impact I'm getting out of the X1 and MD, though. I'm pretty much using the X1 for movies/gaming and the MD for music. They compliment each other very well, IMHO... and I really couldn't be any happier. All I need, now, is a portable supra-aural and I'll be set.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #14,365 of 48,564
I wanna go to Best Buy and see if they have the Momentum up for demoing. That'd be my first choice as far as closed portables go. I'm not a fan of Vmoda's designs (too teenager-centric for me). I prefer elegant design like the X1 and Momentum. If the Philips M1 sounded great, those would be a good choice as far as looks go too. Then there is the Audio Technica ES700, ESw10, and ESw11JPN, etc... but are not comfy...

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #14,366 of 48,564
Quote:
I wanna go to Best Buy and see if they have the Momentum up for demoing. That'd be my first choice as far as closed portables go. I'm not a fan of Vmoda's designs (too teenager-centric for me). I prefer elegant design like the X1 and Momentum. If the Philips M1 sounded great, those would be a good choice as far as looks go too. Then there is the Audio Technica ES700, ESw10, and ESw11JPN, etc... but are not comfy...

I'd be interested in what the Momentum sounds like, too. It's not a big closed headphone and actually can be considered as a supra-aural to me (I have big ears lol). The Amperiors were sweet, but too U-shaped to me. I would try some of the ATs, but none have detachable cables. And as for the Vmodas, I know what you mean. That is why I have yet to pull the trigger on em... that and the fact they don't isolate well because of the design.

Edit: I'm a bit curious about the Sony MDR-1R but haven't done much research on it, yet.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #14,367 of 48,564
The 1R looks pretty sweet, but a bit too big for me. I'm real picky when it comes to portables. They have to be small... like maybe B&W P5 small. Those are soooo comfy, even supraaural, but I dont like the rectangular cup shape.

Momentum is as big as I'd want. I really like how the M1 looks, but I hear the treble is non-existent. Would've been nice to have matching headphones...

The ESW9 surprised me at Best Buy. I didnt like them when I owned them, but was quite happy at the store. I think my tastes have changed enough for me to appreciate warmer/smoother headphones than before. Its too bad that they just aren't comfortable headphones. That and I dont think the wood finish looked that nice on them. Maybe some lacquer would've helped those out.

The The ES7 will forever be my fave portable headphone, look-wise. But man, they were torture on the ears.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #14,368 of 48,564
Quote:
The 1R looks pretty sweet, but a bit too big for me. I'm real picky when it comes to portables. They have to be small... like maybe B&W P5 small. Those are soooo comfy, even supraaural, but I dont like the rectangular cup shape.

Momentum is as big as I'd want. I really like how the M1 looks, but I hear the treble is non-existent. Would've been nice to have matching headphones...

The ESW9 surprised me at Best Buy. I didnt like them when I owned them, but was quite happy at the store. I think my tastes have changed enough for me to appreciate warmer/smoother headphones than before. Its too bad that they just aren't comfortable headphones. That and I dont think the wood finish looked that nice on them. Maybe some lacquer would've helped those out.

The The ES7 will forever be my fave portable headphone, look-wise. But man, they were torture on the ears.

Yeah, size is definitely an issue with the 1R. It was a toss up between that and the MD (for my closed home can), and I went with the MD. You living in Florida should be able to relate that it's too hot to have a big closed can on the go. The Momentum seems like it might be perfect, now that you mention it.

So this means no MD for your closed can? I know you mentioned that you prefer your closed headphone to be your portable, also, but it really is a great compliment to the X1.

Edit: You just made me put the Momentum on my wish list, now... thanks lol

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #14,369 of 48,564
I don't have much if any use for a closed can. Portable cans tend to have pleather.... which is NOT ideal for the Florida sun (you know this). My portable can would mostly be transportable anyway (along with my laptop). The KSC35/75 are what I use for these things since they are tiny, comfy, and don't induce sweat. I would definitely like something better for laptop use...

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #14,370 of 48,564
Quote:
So I've been waiting to ask, how does the X1 do with position cues in game? In comparison to the Annie.

The X1's work very well with Dolby Headphone, and their imaging is slightly better than the Anniversaries.

The Anniversary has larger sounding instruments (which can also be more intimate sounding) while the X1 has smaller sounding instruments (and sometimes more distant sounding). So sounds tend have a little extra room and free space around each other in the soundstage.  So the X1's imaging ends up being a little sharper with more separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back