Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 8, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #14,131 of 48,565
Thanks guys, these cans were recommendations from my post a few pages back but it's good to see everyone recommending the Q701, I guess it's really good!

What about the HD 598 though? Is the Q701 overall better? As in the 598 would be the best choice after?

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #14,132 of 48,565
Quote:
Ehh, just a different view. The Q701 is a better overall can. Can't go wrong with it. For competitive gaming, I very slightly prefer the AD700.

I can understand why, sir. I remember having Rambo like matches due to its massive soundstage and positional cues...

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #14,133 of 48,565
Quote:
The AD700 has virtually no sub-bass though, so it's a no-brainer.

No, it's not. He's asking for a can for competitive gaming. The AD700 is a better can for competitive gaming than the Q701. It's extremely slight, but it is better.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #14,134 of 48,565
Quote:
Thanks guys, these cans were recommendations from my post a few pages back but it's good to see everyone recommending the Q701, I guess it's really good!

What about the HD 598 though? Is the Q701 overall better? As in the 598 would be the best choice after?

I really like the HD 598, but the Q701 is a better can overall as well, IMO.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #14,135 of 48,565
Quote:
No, it's not. He's asking for a can for competitive gaming. The AD700 is a better can for competitive gaming than the Q701. It's extremely slight, but it is better.

It is better for competitive gaming, but in BF3 I think he would benefit more with the Q701 to feel a better impact during explosions. The AD700 is more for COD whoring, if you ask me.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #14,136 of 48,565
Quote:

It is better for competitive gaming, but in BF3 I think he would benefit more with the Q701 to feel a better impact during explosions. The AD700 is more for COD whoring, if you ask me.

The AD700 is for soundstage whoring of any type. It's absolutely insanely great on BF3. But again, I don't think this is really a point of contention because either cans are a win. I mean I do use a standard K702 as my main gaming can, so there ya go.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #14,137 of 48,565
Quote:

Then again, after a listening session with the HP100 I'm having second thoughts...

Yup, HP100 isn't going anywhere... Annies are going to have to wait...

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #14,138 of 48,565
The guy asked for a can with a bit of bass BECAUSE he mostly plays single player gaming, not competitive gaming. Why is the AD700 being recommended?

Out of all the ones he mentioned, the Q701 fits the best. the Sennheisers sound a bit thin, and don't have much immersion.

I'd honestly just go straight for the K702 Anniversary or K712 Pro depending on which is cheaper. Should be the same headphone.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #14,139 of 48,565
It's being recommended because he needs "primarily great audio positioning for competitive games." He never set a budget, either, and all of the cans he's looked into don't go into the budget that the 65th AE is in.

OP, if you truly need what I think is the best positional audio, you go AD700. If you want something that is virtually just as good in that aspect but will give you a little more low end, you go Q701. As for stepping up to the K702 65th AE, maybe it's worth it. It's highly subjective. My opinion is it isn't worth it. If you haven't looked at the guide at the beginning of this thread yet, definitely check it out. Lots of good info there.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #14,140 of 48,565
To those of you with the Fidelio X1s, when they say the X1's earpads aren't user-replaceable, does that just mean you can't swap them out with other earpads or that they're literally not removable? Not being able to give my earpads a proper clean every now and then would drive me nuts.
EDIT: Never mind, looks like they're glued on. Seems like a weird choice for a high end set of headphones

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #14,141 of 48,565
Quote:

I think your best choice out of the bunch is the Q701. I play BF3 and it has been the best one I've used so far, IMHO. You can also buy the memory foam pads, down the line, for a warmer sound signature. Though, the bumps on the headband may be a toss up for you (comfort wise).

I, too, only recommended the Q701 because of the price rang of the list he gave. Give us a break, MLE. Aren't we supposed to help with suggestions
confused.gif
? You are only one person, after all... right?
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I need primarly great audio positioning for competitive games (BF3, etc), but also a bit of bass since I don't only play competitive games, I play a lot of single player games and games that aren't even shooters so I don't want a completely flat sounding headphone.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #14,143 of 48,565
It's being recommended because he needs "primarily great audio positioning for competitive games." He never set a budget, either, and all of the cans he's looked into don't go into the budget that the 65th AE is in.

OP, if you truly need what I think is the best positional audio, you go AD700. If you want something that is virtually just as good in that aspect but will give you a little more low end, you go Q701. As for stepping up to the K702 65th AE, maybe it's worth it. It's highly subjective. My opinion is it isn't worth it. If you haven't looked at the guide at the beginning of this thread yet, definitely check it out. Lots of good info there.

You make well-reasoned points. I assume you didn't me turn that the AD700 costs half as much because budget wasn't mentioned?

Anyway, if e Q701 is within budget, I'd also recommend that. I loved my AD700 and there were certain times where I got into a groove of using them exclusively for days even though I also had the Q701 (like, during my entire playthrough of Metro: 2033), but basically the Q701 is a lot like an AD700 plus a bit more bass and a little something that is a smaller change, so small it's hard to quantify and point out specifically why, but that small difference makes a big difference in making the audio more exciting. Now, I haven't heard the Anniversaries (Annies! <3), but by all accounts they go further to adding bass emphasis but lose more "air" and grandiose scale, SO the Q701 is a good choice that sits in the middle with no glaring weakness besides headband comfort (wasn't bad at first, and the earpads are amazing, but these days I always have the headband wrapped in a plush baby-seatbelt-wrapper).

You can't really go wrong, all the ones you mentioned are very, very good, but the AD700 and Q701 have special stand-out strengths, and the Q701 is a great all-around headphone.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #14,144 of 48,565
Quote:
... but basically the Q701 is a lot like an AD700 plus a bit more bass and a little something that is a smaller change, so small it's hard to quantify and point out specifically why, but that small difference makes a big difference in making the audio more exciting.

I think part of that difference is that the Q701 is a little less sibilant (making it less fatiguing).

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #14,145 of 48,565
Hey guys,im new. I have onboard sound on my PC. Whats the cheapest way i can get surround sound on my pc? Do you think the logitech g430 are any good. Btw my onboard is a Realtek ALC892.

Probably the cheapest is the USB dongles from Asus and Creative (the Xonar U3 and X-Fi Go! Pro, respectively), they're around $30, sometimes on sale from that. The Logitech aren't great, not really even good, just average and bested by cheaper headphones. Realtek onboard is serviceable, but sometimes you get a little distortion and lacks some of the "magic" that a good soundcard, DAC/amp, or even those USB dongles can produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back