Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #14,116 of 48,566
I am really debating on re-buying the Annie one last time. I might purchase it from Razordog this time not only because of the deal they have but because I haven't heard about any bass rattle issues in Annies that came from them. If I do end up coming across another issue, still, I'll just have to swallow that pill and have AKG take care of it. The Annie has become a headphone that is a must have for me.

So, that means I will have to return my HP100 to fund it. I really like that headphone, but having the X1 has limited its use. If it wasn't so hot in Florida I'd be using the HP100 on the go...
tongue_smile.gif
. I guess a closed can is not a necessity for me, now, because it's use was to provide that fun factor that the X1 now presents, with all the perks of an open headphone to go with.

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #14,117 of 48,566
Well, since I'm already pleased as punch with my home headphones, I'm more interested in an on-the-go closed headphone. I think I'll need to be able to shut out the world soon. My Ety's may be too good at that, I could still use them but they're less than ideal if you have to take them out often, plus... Well... It's hard to not want new things.

Despite what I just said about new things, I'm tempted to ask Nameless if I could buy his Recon3D USB. I thought I'd use windows more, but so far most of the games I've bought work on both types of PC, and I'm still mostly using Mac. I don't know of another option that I wouldn't have to unscrew and remove a soundcard from my computer's innards just to boot into Mac, and for me I just liked THX TSP more, seemed to do a better job projecting depth with the Q701s. The DSS is fine, and I can hook it up to my MoBo's optical to get stereo, but I miss watching movies in surround on my headphones. (My Xbox360 stopped allowing DVDs to play on my monitor after one of the XBOX system updates)

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #14,118 of 48,566
Quote:
I am really debating on re-buying the Annie one last time. I might purchase it from Razordog this time not only because of the deal they have but because I haven't heard about any bass rattle issues in Annies that came from them. If I do end up coming across another issue, still, I'll just have to swallow that pill and have AKG take care of it. The Annie has become a headphone that is a must have for me.

So, that means I will have to return my HP100 to fund it. I really like that headphone, but having the X1 has limited its use. If it wasn't so hot in Florida I'd be using the HP100 on the go...
tongue_smile.gif
. I guess a closed can is not a necessity for me, now, because it's use was to provide that fun factor that the X1 now presents, with all the perks of an open headphone to go with.

How easy do they break^^?

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #14,119 of 48,566
Quote:
How easy do they break^^?

I doubt it's about how easy they break. It's more of a manufacturing issue... I think...

Quote:
Well, since I'm already pleased as punch with my home headphones, I'm more interested in an on-the-go closed headphone.

I strongly recommend the HP100 for its price and performance. Like I said, I would use it on the go but it's too hot around here during most of the season. My GR07 and Amperiors are all I need for portable use... and even the Amperiors make my ears sweat a little when outside.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #14,120 of 48,566
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

Then again, after a listening session with the HP100 I'm having second thoughts...

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!
angry_face.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #14,122 of 48,566
Quote:
haaa
mad.gif
 - my ears are touching the drivers of the Annies - that drives me crazy... - is there any solution for that problem?

I kinda have the same problem under extended use. Use the standard K701, K702, or Q701 pads instead. They are fairly angled and help a lot with this. I also prefer the brighter signature from them.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #14,123 of 48,566
Which cans would you guys recommend for someone that will mainly use the headphones for gaming? 

I need primarly great audio positioning for competitive games (BF3, etc), but also a bit of bass since I don't only play competitive games, I play a lot of single player games and games that aren't even shooters so I don't want a completely flat sounding headphone.

Secondly they need to be comfortable, I need to be able to wear them for long periods of time (4 hours for example) without them hurting my head/ears.

And third is build quality, they need to last and also have a detachable cable. I don't want to buy new ones because of a broken cable/jack.

So far these are my options:
AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I can't decide, maybe you guys can recommend me others or offer better advice/experience.

I will be using them with Dolby Headphone Virtual Surround by the way.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #14,124 of 48,566
Quote:
Which cans would you guys recommend for someone that will mainly use the headphones for gaming? 

I need primarly great audio positioning for competitive games (BF3, etc), but also a bit of bass since I don't only play competitive games, I play a lot of single player games and games that aren't even shooters so I don't want a completely flat sounding headphone.

Secondly they need to be comfortable, I need to be able to wear them for long periods of time (4 hours for example) without them hurting my head/ears.

And third is build quality, they need to last and also have a detachable cable. I don't want to buy new ones because of a broken cable/jack.

AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I can't decide, maybe you guys can recommend me others or offer better advice/experience.

I would recommend the AD700 as it's been my favorite sounding can for competitive gaming (BF3 player here as well), but I had certain issues with comfort. If they work for you, do them. If they don't, Q701.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #14,125 of 48,566
Quote:

AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

I think your best choice out of the bunch is the Q701. I play BF3 and it has been the best one I've used so far, IMHO. You can also buy the memory foam pads, down the line, for a warmer sound signature. Though, the bumps on the headband may be a toss up for you (comfort wise).

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #14,126 of 48,566

AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 598
Sennheiser HD 558
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Q701 hands down.

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #14,127 of 48,566
Quote:
I would recommend the AD700 as it's been my favorite sounding can for competitive gaming (BF3 player here as well), but I had certain issues with comfort. If they work for you, do them. If they don't, Q701.

Oh, man... we may have made this confusing for the lad
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #14,129 of 48,566
Quote:

Oh, man... we may have made this confusing for the lad
tongue_smile.gif

Ehh, just a different view. The Q701 is a better overall can. Can't go wrong with it. For competitive gaming, I very slightly prefer the AD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back