Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #14,086 of 48,562
I have a Fostex TH900 on the way. Not bought for games in mind, but I'm interested in seeing how it pairs with my wireless astro mixamp. Since the Denon got a positive review  and the TH900 is not entirely dissimilar I'm hoping for good synergy.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #14,087 of 48,562
I'm looking for a new set of cans myself, coming from ATH-M50's and I'd like to upgrade.  On my list, the X1's and the DT 900 Pro 600ohm version.  I really dig the looks of the X1 and I've only heard of positive reviews coming from everybody  I think I'll wait a little longer til I can find more reviews on the X1 before pulling the trigger.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #14,088 of 48,562
Quote:
Interesting article on Inner Fidelity about a new surround sound virtualization box. the "DSPeaker HeaDSPeaker."

It's around $500, comes with head-tracking, doubles as a USB soundcard, has 45 different HRTF profiles...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/dspeaker-headspeaker-headphone-virtual-surround-system
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/headspeaker.shtml

Here are the manuals:
http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/datasheets/dspeaker/HeaDSPeaker-QuickStart.pdf
http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/datasheets/dspeaker/HeaDSPeakerHome_en101.pdf

It has promise, but the lack of HDMI input is a serious drawback to me, as that's one of the things that could have helped it justify the $500 price tag. As it stands, an A/V receiver with Dolby Headphone is much more affordable, albeit bulkier and devoid of head-tracking.

The ultrasonic head-tracker probably isn't cheap, though ideally, I'd have it integrate with Freetrack or something so I don't have to run my TrackIR in tandem.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #14,089 of 48,562
After another long session of BF3 with the X1... I think I might have to re-purchase the Annies...
blink.gif
. The Annie really holds an advantage from a competitive standpoint.

I see why chico says...

Quote:
Yes, although they share similarities they are two different beasts. If I had to sell one, it would be very tough to pick which one to let go

I really have to agree there, my friend. If I owned both... I would use the X1 for movies and the Annie for games. I might just have to do so when I get some extra mullah...

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #14,090 of 48,562
Quote:
After another long session of BF3 with the X1... I think I might have to re-purchase the Annies...
blink.gif
. The Annie really holds an advantage from a competitive standpoint.

I really have to agree there, my friend. If I owned both... I would use the X1 for movies and the Annie for games. I might just have to do so when I get some extra mullah...

The anniversary has some competitive advantage simply because its signature is flatter and the mids are more forward and detailed.  The mids really aren't a focus on the X1, plus the bass can get distracting.  Overall I think the advantage isn't huge though.  The X1's soundstage is more open and spacious and the imaging is a little sharper, so it regains some lost points there.  I don't blame the X1 for not being 10/10 competitive though, because I think they do a damn good job of pulling off the best competitive they can while still managing the fun signature that they do.  

For me, it's the X1s for single player gaming and movies/TV.  I'm using the Q701 right now for multiplayer gaming, partly because of it's lighter clearer signature, and partly because that type of gaming is more intense and I'm afraid of wearing out the X1 pads by using it for that.  The Q701 pads are the  easiest to clean/replace of the three types.  I also usually pair the Q701 with my iCan and set the bass boost switch to rape which adds back a lot of fun to the Q701.

For music it's sort of a three way split, but usually it's either the Anniversaries or X1s getting the head time, with the Q701 getting less.  It depends on what genre I'm listening too though.

I really like them both though, and it would break my heart to sell one of them
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #14,092 of 48,562
Quote:

The anniversary has some competitive advantage simply because its signature is flatter and the mids are more forward and detailed.  The mids really aren't a focus on the X1, plus the bass can get distracting.  Overall I think the advantage isn't huge though.  The X1's soundstage is more open and spacious and the imaging is a little sharper, so it regains some lost points there.  I don't blame the X1 for not being 10/10 competitive though, because I think they do a damn good job of pulling off the best competitive they can while still managing the fun signature that they do.  

For me, it's the X1s for single player gaming and movies/TV.  I'm using the Q701 right now for multiplayer gaming, partly because of it's lighter clearer signature, and partly because that type of gaming is more intense and I'm afraid of wearing out the X1 pads by using it for that.  The Q701 pads are the  easiest to clean/replace of the three types.  I also usually pair the Q701 with my iCan and set the bass boost switch to rape which adds back a lot of fun to the Q701.

For music it's sort of a three way split, but usually it's either the Anniversaries or X1s getting the head time, with the Q701 getting less.  It depends on what genre I'm listening too though.

I really like them both though, and it would break my heart to sell one of them
frown.gif

I've been enjoying the X1's more and more. V-moda cable came in today along with a 6.35 -> 3.5 adapter so I could hook it up to my E9K.

I don't know if it's just me getting used to the headphones but the first day the bass was a little too overpowering when gaming. I was shooting a silenced weapon and my head was thumping lol. But now the bass feels nice and tight and I can play competitively while still having a fun sound signature. I may go as far as saying that I can pinpoint directions of enemies better on the X1's than the Annies. Music has been sounding great as well... I feel like the X1's have the perfect amount of bass... not too little, and not too much.

Replacing the stock cable didn't make a huge difference, but it does feel like it improved the sound.

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #14,093 of 48,562
so, today i got my annies and i've got a question.
everybody wrote they are extremely hard to drive, and so out of curiosity i plugged them into my  Galaxy sII and they are pretty loud. (I'm going to buy a essence stx or an xonar phoebus for my pc).

Is this normal or did i get a fake?

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #14,094 of 48,562
so, today i got my annies and i've got a question.
everybody wrote they are extremely hard to drive, and so out of curiosity i plugged them into my  Galaxy sII and they are pretty loud. (I'm going to buy a essence stx or an xonar phoebus for my pc).

Is this normal or did i get a fake?

I don't think you're going to find too many fake Annies. :wink: It's harder to get full sound without an amp.

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #14,095 of 48,562
loudness =/= driven

The Q701 and Annies share the same drivers, yet the Annies get louder considerably easier than the Q701. That's due to the pads sealing better.

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #14,097 of 48,562
That should be a well known conclusion by this point.

As I edited in on the last post:

The Q701 and Annies share the same drivers, yet the Annies get louder considerably easier than the Q701. That's due to the pads sealing better.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #14,099 of 48,562
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like an ass. Just saying, yes, amping improves more than just volume. Didn't realize you were so new to this hobby. My fault entirely.

I'm starting to get really upset with my soundcard. I can't get virtual surround to work for my games at all. Hell, even hooked up my PLYR1 to the laptop's optical out, and it still is clearly not dolby headphone, even after setting the sound settings to dolby digital...

What.

The soundcard is the Recond 3Di which has THX Tru Studio, just like the recond 3D usb I reviewed on the first page.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #14,100 of 48,562
I have a 75% discount on Skullcandy items today. Was thinking about getting the PLYR1 since it's only $45. I know you generally liked it, MLE. I'm hesitant since it's closed and wireless, but what do you guys think? Worth it to just try? Beyond gaming, does Skullcandy make anything worth trying with this discount?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back