Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #14,071 of 48,562
Quote:
Ad700

You aren't really going to get a soundstage out of a closed back headphone...

He might want to keep some fun factor in his choice. Then, the AD700 is out of the question. If he bumps up his price range just a little, then he might have more options.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #14,073 of 48,562
Quote:
I have a question, I want to be able to hear positional accuracy but have bass at the same but not break the bank. I currently can get a pair of Sennheiser HD595's for 100$ or a pair of AD700's for 99.95, what's the better headphone. I'll be playing on PC/Consoles with games such as CoD and battlefield, but I also listen to dubstep/rock/country/rap/metal. I listen to music a lot.

I just wanted to bump this up for you, saintrock, so people who didn't see it can give you better suggestions.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #14,074 of 48,562
Quote:
I can get the HD595's for 100$ with 6.85$ shipping, would these be sufficent for my needs?

Yeah, if you are willing to sacrifice that 'fun' factor. As chico said earlier, they will be great for competitive gaming but will not fit your needs for your music preferences.

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #14,077 of 48,562
Quote:
So I got my 4th alienware setup. Works beautifully, and the nvidia card is much more stable than the amd one. Downloaded tomb raider, and it runs sooooo smooth.. around 60fps at near max. Also downloaded arkham city for 7 bucks, and fear 3 for 5. Just waiting on Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock Infonite, and Mirrors Edge to go down...

DEM games! I guess we won't be seeing you any soon on the forums! xD

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #14,078 of 48,562
So, I should probably just get the DT990 pro's for 169$ shouldn't I?

Thats the best fun and soundstagey headphone for the price, IMHO. So yes.

As for me, I post mostly while I'm at work, so I'll always be around.

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #14,079 of 48,562
Quote:
I am going to leave the details of the X1 to the experts. As for myself? I just played a session of BF3 with them and had soooo much fun! Man, those explosions!!! The positioning and soundstage was awesome, as well. I have found myself a keeper... after that hiccup I had with the Q701 and Annie...
dt880smile.png

No love lost...
tongue_smile.gif

The X1 definitely picks up footsteps and other details nicely... running around in Search and Destroy in Black Ops 2, you can hear enemies footsteps, creaking floorboards etc fairly easily.

Music-wise, I've tried A-B'ing between having the X1's connected directly to the headphone port on my desktop computer, and having them connected to my Fiio E9K/E17 combo and I kind of feel like it sounds better directly connected to my computer. Vocals, bass and all that just seems tighter and cleaner sounding than through the amp? Any reason this might be?

Also, I'm still waiting on the V-Moda cable to come in so I can try it over the stock cable.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #14,080 of 48,562
Quote:

The X1 definitely picks up footsteps and other details nicely... running around in Search and Destroy in Black Ops 2, you can hear enemies footsteps, creaking floorboards etc fairly easily.

Music-wise, I've tried A-B'ing between having the X1's connected directly to the headphone port on my desktop computer, and having them connected to my Fiio E9K/E17 combo and I kind of feel like it sounds better directly connected to my computer. Vocals, bass and all that just seems tighter and cleaner sounding than through the amp? Any reason this might be?

Also, I'm still waiting on the V-Moda cable to come in so I can try it over the stock cable.

I actually picked up one of those 10ft Pipeline audio cables they sell at Radio Shack... to avoid the wait. I did an A/B with the stock cable and can definitely notice an improvement.

As for the sound being cleaner through your desktop than your E9K/E17 combo... maybe this is because of the 10ohm output? It was a concern of mine that I mentioned earlier because my M-Stage has a 5ohm output. Thankfully, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary when comparing with my E12. So I think I'm good.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #14,081 of 48,562
Quote:
I am going to leave the details of the X1 to the experts. As for myself? I just played a session of BF3 with them and had soooo much fun! Man, those explosions!!! The positioning and soundstage was awesome, as well. I have found myself a keeper...
after that hiccup I had with the Q701 and Annie...
dt880smile.png

No love lost...
tongue_smile.gif

I actually picked up one of those 10ft Pipeline audio cables they sell at Radio Shack... to avoid the wait. I did an A/B with the stock cable and can definitely notice an improvement.

I'm glad you're enjoying them.  I would hate to recommend something and then have someone dislike it.  I feel that the X1s signature and soundstage are so well suited for gaming and movies that it's a pretty safe recommendation though.

So, would you say..."Change is Good"
tongue.gif

I'm currently using them with one of monoprice's "mobile" 3.5mm audio cables.  I haven't compared it against the stock cable yet.  What improvement do you notice?

Quote:

Pervysage, did you get a chance to compare the X1 to the Anniversaries?  Or did you get rid of them?

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #14,082 of 48,562
Quote:
Quote:

Pervysage, did you get a chance to compare the X1 to the Anniversaries?  Or did you get rid of them?

I managed to return them to Amazon within the 30 day period and got a full refund (because of the rattling). I really did love them and was about to re-buy them when they went on sale at Razordog but thought I would use the opportunity to try something different.

I agree with your point earlier where you said the X1's aren't necessarily a replacement for the Annies... they both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Just from my memory, I thought the Annies were really intimate when it comes to vocals, on the X1's not as much. They are two very different sounding signatures. I agree with all the reviews about the bass on the X1's... definitely suited towards people who are looking for a fun headphone for a little more thump and impact in their music. I listen to a lot of Techno, Trance and Hip Hop and the X1's are great for those genres.

I still really miss the sound of the Annies and would still probably buy them again. I really liked the instrument separation and clarity of the Annies and think they are a bit better in that regard.

Starting to think I should just have multiple headphones for listening to different types of music instead of searching for just ONE headphone that can do everything (is there a headphone out there like that? I don't know, heh).

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #14,083 of 48,562
Hey guys been trawling this thread for a couple of hours, great resource and cheers to MLE. After reading through the DT990s seem really popular (which is good because they're basically the only recommended headphone that's readily available for a reasonable price down in my corner of the world). Only thing I'm not sure of is the issues with the treble alot of people have mentioned. I want to use these just for general gaming, movies and a wide range of music (mostly rock, electronic, orchestral). Is the treble really that big of deal to someone who isn't a seasoned audiophile (I know that's a bit hard to answer as its obviously a personal preference)? Or can you mix it out a bit using the sound card? The only real alternative for me is the Soundmagic HP100s which are slightly cheaper. The HP200s might an option if the NZ dealer manages to get some in.
Secondly, I'll be getting the 250 ohm version so I need something to drive it (using the onboard sound on my P8P67 mobo right now). The kicker is that I want to be able to switch between audio input from my PC and input from my 360 or maybe a PS4 later. So I figure I either need a sound card with an onboard amp and RCA or optical input, or a desktop amp/dac with usb and RCA or optical input selection? Or maybe there's a better solution I don't know about. Anyway I really appreciate your guys input, I've been going round in circles on this for days now and its doing my head in!

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #14,084 of 48,562
Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad you're enjoying them.  I would hate to recommend something and then have someone dislike it.  I feel that the X1s signature and soundstage are so well suited for gaming and movies that it's a pretty safe recommendation though.

So, would you say..."Change is Good"
tongue.gif

I'm currently using them with one of monoprice's "mobile" 3.5mm audio cables.  I haven't compared it against the stock cable yet.  What improvement do you notice?

Yes, Change definitely is Good!!!

I do agree, however, with pervysage.  I might have to rebuy the Annie somewhere down the line, too.

As for the cable: I was in Radio Shack at the mall, today, and saw this... http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13125207. I had a $10 coupon so I went ahead and purchased it along with a 1/4 inch adaptor for it. I also bought the little 3 year replacement plan for $2 in case anything goes wrong with it.

The improvement in sound isn't day and night... but you do notice some clarity and sparkle.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #14,085 of 48,562
Yes, although they share similarities they are two different beasts.  If I had to sell one, it would be very tough to pick which one to let go. 

I think they are nice compliments to each other.  The Anniversary is flatter and pretty evenly balanced with large intimate sounding instruments and a nice full sounding musical midrange.  The X1 is more fun, with just a bit of extra sparkle and some extra bass emphasis, and a clear and open soundstage due to it's smaller less intimate sounding instruments and less prominent midrange.

I took a bunch of pics today for the X1 review, such a sexy headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back