Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #14,056 of 48,562
As if time passing would make a headphone have less performance. Lol.

The 990s are stellar gaming cans. It can do both competitive and fun gaming. It's problem is the treble being very...very prominent by default. When using Dolby Headphone, the treble is mitigated quite a bit, making it be not so problematic. The 990s midbass is quick to decay compared to typical basshead cans, and so it's not very obtrusive.

There's a reason I have had like 6 different 990s at some point.

If you can find a way to reduce treble dor non gaming applications, I think the 990 is one of the best in the $250 range.

FYI, a large reason why I wanted the X1, was because I was hoping it'd sound a lot like the 990 without that extra treble, and with some extra warmth.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #14,057 of 48,562
Hi, new guy here I have a question I'm sure that will get answered here. I game on the Xbox 360 COD mostly but I do play other games. 
My current setup is Turtle Beach HPA2 and an Extigy. HPA2's are getting harder to come by this is my second pair.
I was wondering if there are any other headphones that I can use with the extigy or should I just sell my extigy and use the money on a new setup. I was thinking mix amp and PC360. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #14,058 of 48,562
Quote:
As if time passing would make a headphone have less performance. Lol.

Only if the headphone was highly neglected or even abused during its existence...but seriously, it does seem like people act that a given headphone is so much worse if a newer model shows up. Happens all the time with the flagship models that keep increasing in price.

I mean, out of everything I've tried thus far, my current favorite headphone just happens to be a 1979 design-one that people will still pay $$$ to get their hands on, if eBay is any indication. (Incidentally, this means that my headphones of choice are much older than I am...)

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #14,060 of 48,562
Quote:
Hi, new guy here I have a question I'm sure that will get answered here. I game on the Xbox 360 COD mostly but I do play other games. 
My current setup is Turtle Beach HPA2 and an Extigy. HPA2's are getting harder to come by this is my second pair.
I was wondering if there are any other headphones that I can use with the extigy or should I just sell my extigy and use the money on a new setup. I was thinking mix amp and PC360. 

If you'd like to try something with Dolby Headphones (simulated surround sound) try the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS (fairly cheap) or another console that is Dolby Headphone capable.

As far as headphones go, it depends what you are looking for. For competitive play I like the HD598 or Q701s because they both have an amazing soundstage and excellent imaging for pinpoint locationing. For fun, I would try the Pro 750 or more expensive Pro 900 because the bass is absolutely excellent with good soundstage and imaging for closed headphones. Read the individual reviews for each headphone at the beginning of this thread if you want more suggestions that are better/worse/cheaper/more expensive. MLE has compiled a great list!

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #14,061 of 48,562
Interesting article on Inner Fidelity about a new surround sound virtualization box. the "DSPeaker HeaDSPeaker."

It's around $500, comes with head-tracking, doubles as a USB soundcard, has 45 different HRTF profiles...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/dspeaker-headspeaker-headphone-virtual-surround-system
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/headspeaker.shtml

Here are the manuals:
http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/datasheets/dspeaker/HeaDSPeaker-QuickStart.pdf
http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/datasheets/dspeaker/HeaDSPeakerHome_en101.pdf

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #14,062 of 48,562
So I got my 4th alienware setup. Works beautifully, and the nvidia card is much more stable than the amd one. Downloaded tomb raider, and it runs sooooo smooth.. around 60fps at near max. Also downloaded arkham city for 7 bucks, and fear 3 for 5. Just waiting on Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock Infonite, and Mirrors Edge to go down...

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #14,063 of 48,562
Quote:
So I got my 4th alienware setup. Works beautifully, and the nvidia card is much more stable than the amd one. Downloaded tomb raider, and it runs sooooo smooth.. around 60fps at near max. Also downloaded arkham city for 7 bucks, and fear 3 for 5. Just waiting on Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock Infonite, and Mirrors Edge to go down...

Great to hear!!!
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #14,065 of 48,562
Quote:
So what's the best balanced headphone for gaming/music, at a low price. I tried the creative aurvana live's and they were just ok!

What do you consider to be a low price?

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #14,067 of 48,562
I am going to leave the details of the X1 to the experts. As for myself? I just played a session of BF3 with them and had soooo much fun! Man, those explosions!!! The positioning and soundstage was awesome, as well. I have found myself a keeper... after that hiccup I had with the Q701 and Annie...
dt880smile.png

No love lost...
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #14,068 of 48,562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back