Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 2, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #13,996 of 48,566
Fidelity is also a factor, and while I know the X1 is probably amazing, I'm sure it isnt a D7000, LCD2, SR407, ESP950, etc. in terms of refinement. I have had a good taste of higher end cans, and I can tell if something is lacking. I'll treat the X1 as it should be treated, a mid-fi can with a sound signature that ticks many boxes.

The Kingsound will apparently have both the electrostatic refinement as well as a sound signature suited to my tastes.
And the HD800 is even better than those cans for competitive play.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #13,997 of 48,566
I lean heavily on the fun side. I'd never pay so much for headphones that I'd deem mostly good for competitive gaming. Fun has to be better than competitive, I.e. D7000, LCD2, DT990, HE400, etc.

If I could own only one headphone, it absolutely has to be oriented towards fun. I would never, ever own the HD800s. I'm sure it's stellar, but I don't put that much stock in analytical, competitive oriented cans. Especially not for that price.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #13,998 of 48,566
Quote:
Woah Chico, surprised to see you with the X1's! I guess the HE-400 got you thinking about new headphones again, huh?

The X1 was one of the big ones on my list of headphones I wanted to try, and I'm glad I did. 

Quote:
Chico, I'm really hoping that there's a meet sometime soon where I can get some head time with those X1's. You make me wish I had the funds to try them out right now. Can't wait to see the full fledged comparisons.

Yeah.  I expect there should be another one sometime.  There's a nice list of head-fiers in our area so I'm sure we will make another one happen soon.  I will of course bring the X1s.

In the meantime though I will work on detailed comparisons to the AKGs.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #13,999 of 48,566
Yeah, that's why I'm keeping the DSS so I can have a competitive oriented sound, but turn the bass up for a fun sound in single player. Because it seems like warm bass and soundstage counteract with each other most of the time.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #14,000 of 48,566
Quote:
Everyone's preferences are different, and ONE headphone can't universally meet all those different preferences. 

For example, The X1's timbre isn't as natural sounding as the Anniversaries and the mids aren't as full.  But if the X1's mids were fuller it would then lose it's fun open home-theatery sound that makes it so exceptional for gaming and movies.  So you can't fault it for having a weakness that is simultaneously a strength. 

If you realistically judge it as ~$300-350 headphone, and not some kind of flagship, it performs every bit as good as a headphone in it's price bracket should.

How true.

I've been searching for my first pair of headphones for over a month and can't make up my mind.

I set my mind on some, then as I keep reading  reviews, I always find something that turns me off.
It's always either price tag, poor build quality, too much bass, or too much treble.

At this point I'm getting discouraged at even buying any.

What I want to do is maybe order some from amazon and return them if I don't like them, but I've never done anything similar, so I wouldn't know if returns without any reason are possible.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #14,001 of 48,566
Quote:

How true.

I've been searching for my first pair of headphones for over a month and can't make up my mind.

What I want to do is maybe order some from amazon and return them if I don't like them, but I've never done anything similar, so I wouldn't know if returns without any reason are possible.

Uhh...Mad Lust Envy has done that more times than I can count.
tongue_smile.gif

I'm almost positive you can return without any reason, but I will defer to the "expert"....

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #14,002 of 48,566
I don't like returning new items, so I buy them like new or in good condition off Amazon or at least fulfilled by Amazon. As long as its not a huge amount of returns, you should be okay. Just buy them used on there.

In all honesty, the Fidelio X1 should be what people look into that want a mix of fun, competitive, comfort, easy to drive. Nothing negative from what I gather other than the pads not being user replaceable, and the headband not fitting big heads. Also, the cable not being the best, so you should find an alternative. I have a few mediabridge 3.5mm cables I'd test out with it, and they're cheap.

If someone considers my PLYR 1 for $110 total, I'd put it in for the X1s. :wink:

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #14,003 of 48,566
Quote:
As long as its not a huge amount of returns, you should be okay.

I can confirm that they send you an email concerning the amount of high returns. They just tell you to try to avoid unnecessary returns. I don't know what the next step is but I'm definitely cutting back to avoid any issues with them.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #14,004 of 48,566
Quote:
I don't like returning new items, so I buy them like new or in good condition off Amazon or at least fulfilled by Amazon. As long as its not a huge amount of returns, you should be okay. Just buy them used on there.

In all honesty, the Fidelio X1 should be what people look into that want a mix of fun, competitive, comfort, easy to drive. Nothing negative from what I gather other than the pads not being user replaceable, and the headband not fitting big heads. Also, the cable not being the best, so you should find an alternative. I have a few mediabridge 3.5mm cables I'd test out with it, and they're cheap.

If someone considers my PLYR 1 for $110 total, I'd put it in for the X1s.
wink.gif

The biggest turn off about the X1's for me was that in some reviews it mentioned the jack breaking easily.

Also, the price tag of $350, It's $100 over what I'd like to spend.

Since I need to get a new music player since the jack on my Fuze won't work properly.
And depending on the headphones, I might also need some money for an amp.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #14,005 of 48,566
Quote:
The biggest turn off about the X1's for me was that in some reviews it mentioned the jack breaking easily.

I always baby my gear, and the X1s especially so.  I also have a 3.5mm "replug" breakaway adapter to protect the jack, as an extra layer of protection.

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #14,006 of 48,566
Quote:
Because people have different preferences in sound presentation and comfort? That's a big one right there.

I haven't auditioned the Fidelio X1 myself, but I'll be thoroughly damned if that turns out to be a set that makes me set the SR-Lambda aside. I've tried a few other higher-end headphones, even some of the modern "numerical" Lambdas, and I always go back to that one in the end. That light clamping force...those lovely vocals...that pinpoint positioning...

As far as gaming and movies are concerned specifically, I believe some headphones exist that simply leave little room for negotiation (i.e. transcending the "taste is king" adage). I am inclined to believe that the X1 is one of these suspects.

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #14,007 of 48,566
So do you guys really think the X1's are on par or even beat out the Anniversaries when it comes to competitive play/positioning? Paired with an Astro Mixamp using the first preset (which turns down bass effects and boosts footsteps), I'm sure it would work out fine?

Jun 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #14,008 of 48,566
Quote:
As far as gaming and movies are concerned specifically, I believe some headphones exist that simply leave little room for negotiation (i.e. transcending the "taste is king" adage). I am inclined to believe that the X1 is one of these suspects.

Part of it could also be that I'm also factoring in music performance (particularly vocal performance) when looking at headphones. I'm expecting a good all-rounder that does everything well, instead of being cripplingly overspecialized.

It's just like a high-end computer: I expect it to excel at everything it does, especially for the price tag.

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #14,009 of 48,566
Quote:

Yes, the X1s are almost specialized for gaming and movies. 

Quote:
So do you guys really think the X1's are on par or even beat out the Anniversaries when it comes to competitive play/positioning? Paired with an Astro Mixamp using the first preset (which turns down bass effects and boosts footsteps), I'm sure it would work out fine?

If the X1s lose any competitive points, it's not because of their soundstage or imaging.  The imaging is actually a notch better than the Anniversaries.  But they have a fun signature, no doubt, and the bass is substantial.   The Anniversaries are flatter and more balanced sounding, and have more obviously forward mids, which is an area where a lot of the competitive details lie. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #14,010 of 48,566
Chico how does the X1 fare against the DT990? Also, I have to stretch the earpads at around the fifth/sixth notch...Would the X1 be too small for my head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back