Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #13,981 of 48,583
All this talk about the X1's has me intrigued lol.

I'm still headphone-less after returning the Anniversary's due to rattling. A new headphone that is a great all-rounder for music, games and movies and some bass (which I don't mind considering the type of music I listen to)... sounds freaking awesome, heh.

Might just have to order them from Amazon for the $350 deal going on right now... or does anyone know any cheaper sites? I'm going to search around like someone above suggested.

Also, the setup that I have is the Astro Mixamp and E9K/E17 combo. I heard someone say that the X1's don't really need amping. How will they go along with my existing setup?

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #13,982 of 48,583
Quote:
AD900X, A900X, DT 770, or...?

Do the A900X have good sound stage and positional cues?
What about build quality? I've read that good build quality isn't a forte of open headphones such as the AD700/AD900/X

I want both immersive and competitive game play.

I mainly listen to older/modern rock/metal, so I want some bass. I'm not a basshead, so nothing overpowering.

I don't want a harsh treble.

I also like vocals, so I guess good mids would be nice.

What if I changed it to only closed headphones?

What would be recommended then?

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #13,983 of 48,583
Nothing in the foreseeable future is gonna beat the D7000s for me. I'm pretty certain of that. However, I'm sure I'd be very impressed with the X1. Still, not gonna spend money on something that I'd have to void the warranty on, just to fit my head.

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #13,984 of 48,583
Quote:
Still, not gonna spend money on something that I'd have to void the warranty on, just to fit my head.

Bending the headband voids the warranty?

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #13,985 of 48,583
Just got a brand new Dss 7.1 and glad that its working properly.  Just something interesting that I observed while doing sound tests with my gr07 mk2.  While using http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Toslink-Cable-Optical-Digital/dp/B004LSNF04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370058293&sr=8-1&keywords=media+bridge+optical
ir

which is gold plated on the ends, sound was warmer and a bit muffled in the top end while the flimsy all plastic optical cable that came with the dss actually sounded a bit better to me and clearer up there.  

Dude. What is up with you and perceived differences to digital connections?
First of all, an optical cable will sound exactly the same whether the tip is gold plated, platinum plated, or just bare plastic, so long as that little red light from the fiber optic isn't blocked from shining out the tip. I didn't even know they made gold plated optical cables. There is no analogue electrical signal being sent through conductive materials here that could have capacitance or electric contamination resulting in "warmth" or rolled-off top end, the signal is the red light transmitting in a binary on/off blinking way. I could see problems from a poor fit into the plug resulting in a misalignment, or a broken fiber optic, but still: either it works or it doesn't.

Your other issue about only getting 6 out of the 7 surround directions with your previous DSS, with one of the left positions missing, doesn't make sense either. Some games like Call of Duty MW3 don't use the center channel for positional audio (only use it for dialogue), but that doesn't explain why part of one of the side channels wouldn't work properly. All the directional channels are sent as one stream of info over that digital optical connection, then the DSS (or any other surround processor for gaming) decodes that single stream into separate channels using the Dolby Digital Live (DDL) processing algorithm, then Dolby Headphone processes all those channels at once to create a stereo (2 channel) mix that sounds like surround through headphones. Nowhere in there is there a place to lose just one channel of audio... It's another digital "works or doesn't work at all" scenario.

Something is messing with your perception... Either some kind of expectation bias (quite common, especially around the misconception that gold-plated plugs on cables = better) is making you think you hear things, OR the first DSS you got had (stereo) channel imbalance issues in the analogue stage, where one whole side was receiving weak current making that side of your headphone sound congested and grainy. Though I am skeptical about any real differences in optical cables, the issue with the DSS sounds more likely with a channel imbalance, since the components used are relatively cheap compared to a nicer headphone amp. The new processor that comes bundled with Turtle Beach's "Seven" headset may have a better analogue stage, but I wouldn't want the Seven headset... Having the DSS' volume turned almost all the way up and plugged into a nice headphone amp to control volume seems to do a good job of avoiding channel imbalances at normal listening volumes when using harder-to-drive headphones.

Thanks, MLE. You got any more to throw out there?

I'm not a surround processing expert, but hearing DH and four other forms of headphone surround processing I'd say that Silent Cinema is pretty close-sounding to DH in the way it processes surround. I'd take an educated guess that most of the in-house variants of Headphone Surround from respectable AV receiver manufacturers based their processing off the same research as DH, and shouldn't necessarily be overlooked as a possible option. Creative is one of the few companies that has seemed to have researched headphone surround further (there are a few others for PC use), I personally found their CMSS-3D effort too piercing for comfort but THX TruStudio Pro fixed that for me, and I hope their new SBX processing is as sophisticated while being backed by superior hardware. I really wish Creative would revisit/improve on their Recon3D USB hardware, or/and license their headphone processing to manufacturers of consoles or AV receivers.

Dolby is kind of like the Microsoft of the audio world: they're pretty good and their licensed product is ubiquitous, but a few less-supported options exist that can outperform, and Dolby Headphone specifically seems like something that is losing momentum in the mainstream. DTS apparently has a headphone surround algorithm, but I've never heard it.

New model receivers do not have Dolby Headphone. Do your homework on whatever receiver you're looking into. You would basically be using them as a basic dac/amp at that point.

I don't know speakers, so I can't answer that. I assume passive = no volume control, which I'd say is the better choice, as receivers have their own.
Active speakers have their own power supply/amping, like computer speakers. Passive speakers rely on an external amp like a Receiver or integrated amp. I know it's possible to improve on Dolby Headphone, so I wouldn't discount other processing options off the bat. Yay return policies for assurance?

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #13,986 of 48,583
Bending the headband voids the warranty?

I dunno, but I dou t bending it would give me enough clearance. I was referring to snapping off the plastic bands that hold the headband tightly. Someone did that and know definitely has enough clearance, but I'm sure it voided the warranty.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #13,987 of 48,583
I dunno, but I dou t bending it would give me enough clearance. I was referring to snapping off the plastic bands that hold the headband tightly. Someone did that and know definitely has enough clearance, but I'm sure it voided the warranty.

Sounds pretty extreme and irreversible.
PS thanks for making me feel like watching Cowboy Bebop again. I have the first and last DVDs of the show, and the movie, haven't listened to them on the Q701s yet. Actually, I've been using the KSC 75s for a while lately, but just now slipped back into the AKGs and I'm feelin pretty good.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #13,988 of 48,583
Here is a pic of the X1 next to the Anniversary for comparison:

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #13,989 of 48,583
You can see in the above pic that the X1's headband is in sort of a wide rectangular-ish shape that wastes some available space. 

Here is Tyll's modified headband to increase the size:

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #13,990 of 48,583
Quote:
I don't understand why people looking into this specific topic even consider headphones that are not the Philips Fidelio X1s.*

*N.B.: I have not heard the Fidelio X1s.

Because people have different preferences in sound presentation and comfort? That's a big one right there.

I haven't auditioned the Fidelio X1 myself, but I'll be thoroughly damned if that turns out to be a set that makes me set the SR-Lambda aside. I've tried a few other higher-end headphones, even some of the modern "numerical" Lambdas, and I always go back to that one in the end. That light clamping force...those lovely vocals...that pinpoint positioning...

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #13,991 of 48,583
Fidelity is also a factor, and while I know the X1 is probably amazing, I'm sure it isnt a D7000, LCD2, SR407, ESP950, etc. in terms of refinement. I have had a good taste of higher end cans, and I can tell if something is lacking. I'll treat the X1 as it should be treated, a mid-fi can with a sound signature that ticks many boxes.

The Kingsound will apparently have both the electrostatic refinement as well as a sound signature suited to my tastes.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #13,992 of 48,583
Seems you've been waiting for that Kingsound for a VERY long time since purchase (I think you bought one, right?). That's coming from me, someone who hasn't been checking Head-Fi as frequently (Woah Chico, surprised to see you with the X1's! I guess the HE-400 got you thinking about new headphones again, huh?).

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #13,994 of 48,583
Everyone's preferences are different, and ONE headphone can't universally meet all those different preferences. 

For example, The X1's timbre isn't as natural sounding as the Anniversaries and the mids aren't as full.  But if the X1's mids were fuller it would then lose it's fun open home-theatery sound that makes it so exceptional for gaming and movies.  So you can't fault it for having a weakness that is simultaneously a strength. 

If you realistically judge it as ~$300-350 headphone, and not some kind of flagship, it performs every bit as good as a headphone in it's price bracket should.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #13,995 of 48,583
Maybe it'll be like food, taste better because it's seasoned by hunger :wink:
I do hope you love it. Btw thanks again for the Q's, and loaner HE-400. I'm enjoying that new Daft Punk album on the Q's right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back