Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 29, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #13,891 of 48,562
Thank you for this list! I went with Audio-Technica ATH-50 MS, along with a FiiO E9 AMP and FiiO E17 DAC.

Umm, you don't need the E9 for the M50, nor do they technically pair up well with them.

M50 and E17 (dac and amp) are all you need. Of course, a virtual surround amp for gaming should be a priority if you're getting these for gaming.

May 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #13,892 of 48,562
Hows the soundstage?  Feel free to reference the PC360 or AD700 if you want, as I'm familiar with them both...

:popcorn:

I would say the difference in soundstage size is the comparable from the ad700 to the pc360 as the pc360 to the x1's. But, you can still pinpoint every little thing, and the bass on these makes it one of the most fun headphones to put on your head. I've recently had loaner pairs of HD700's and HD800's, and since I've sent them back now, I've been using my X1's again, and they are just so much more immersive. I can honestly say I enjoy them for movies and games better than the Senn's.

-Erik

May 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #13,893 of 48,562
Sounds like a soundstage comparable to the DT990. Thats pretty good.

May 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #13,895 of 48,562
Quote:
I decided to bite on those Fidelio X1s
biggrin.gif

I've been wanting to hear them for many months, and this was as good an opportunity as any.  I've read too many good things about them which has made me too damn curious. 
tongue_smile.gif

Expect a full review, with the X1s being compared against the Anniversaries and Q701s in detail. 

You've been spot on with your comparisons which has influenced me to follow in your gear footsteps. I will be paying very close attention...
popcorn.gif

Edit: I will be curious to see if you end up keeping the Annies and the X1... or one or the other.

May 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #13,896 of 48,562
Quote:
Bass response is disproportionately important for immersion in games and especially movies. My D7000s exclusively see use for such occasions, yet I almost never pick them up for music.

Is that simply because games and movies tend to be mixed with boomy, bassy subwoofers, speakers and headphones in mind?

The D7000 probably has a very refined bass presentation if all that hype is anything to go by, but if exaggerated bass is the key, what sets it apart from a more balanced headphone with bass boost of some sort applied?

May 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #13,897 of 48,562
So I get home, after work, and my babies are waiting at my door for me...  two days sooner than I expected!
eek.gif

I just played a quick session of BF3 and I must say these are really my favorite headphones for gaming/movies. I mean, my HP100 is a really fun can and has a decent soundstage for a closed headphone... but man that AKG x70x soundstage... really is godlike. Ever since the AD700... a huge soundstage is a must for me when gaming, now.
And man, that headband... reeeeeeeeally comfy!
k701smile.gif

May 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #13,898 of 48,562
Quote:
Is that simply because games and movies tend to be mixed with boomy, bassy subwoofers, speakers and headphones in mind?

The D7000 probably has a very refined bass presentation if all that hype is anything to go by, but if exaggerated bass is the key, what sets it apart from a more balanced headphone with bass boost of some sort applied?

I think the issue is most console gamers don't have a device in the chain to EQ audio.

-Erik

May 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #13,899 of 48,562
Quote:

You've been spot on with your comparisons which has influenced me to follow in your gear footsteps. I will be paying very close attention...
popcorn.gif

Edit: I will be curious to see if you end up keeping the Annies and the X1... or one or the other.

Thanks
smile.gif

I'm curious about that too.

Quote:
So I get home, after work, and my babies are waiting at my door for me...  two days sooner than I expected!
eek.gif

I just played a quick session of BF3 and I must say these are really my favorite headphones for gaming/movies. I mean, my HP100 is a really fun can and has a decent soundstage for a closed headphone... but man that AKG x70x soundstage... really is godlike. Ever since the AD700... a huge soundstage is a must for me when gaming, now.
And man, that headband... reeeeeeeeally comfy!
k701smile.gif

Very nice, I hope you enjoy their sexiness.  Did you check them for rattle yet?
confused.gif

BTW, there is an open version of the HP100, the HP200.  Maybe you should swap your HP100 for them
wink.gif

May 29, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #13,900 of 48,562
Quote:

There is a great deal of activity going on below 50Hz in many movies and games that very few headphones can convey effectively. Even the D7000 doesn't do quite as well as my stereo + sub when it comes to subterranean bass, though Dolby Headphone makes up for that.

May 29, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #13,901 of 48,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, there is an open version of the HP100, the HP200.  Maybe you should swap your HP100 for them
wink.gif

Did you check them for rattle yet?
confused.gif

Yes, I was very intrigued by the HP200 when I read up on it. My HP100, however, is there for the sole purpose of being my closed can (for when isolation is needed)... so switching wouldn't serve me any purpose. I actually thought about the HP200, X1, and HE400 to be my open can after my mishap with the Q701... but I just couldn't sacrifice that lovely soundstage and signature. Therefore, now I have the Annies.

I'm pretty happy with what I have:
Home: Annie (open), HP100 (closed)
On the go: GR07 MK2 (IEM), Amperior (on-ear)

I only want to stick with one of each and they all compliment each other very well. I don't have enough ears for too many cans...
tongue_smile.gif

Edit: Too scared to do the sound test. I will let you know once I muster up the courage... 
confused_face(1).gif

May 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #13,902 of 48,562
Quote:

Very nice, I hope you enjoy their sexiness. 

And yes, these are very sexy... and they know it, too. I do miss that black finish on the Q701, though...
redface.gif

May 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #13,903 of 48,562
Gotta return this defective used Dss 7.1 I got.  Has this weird channel imbalance, like it's actually 6.1 with one the speakers missing on the left side.  It's impossible to find a brand new one these days.  Think I may have to buy the DPX21 which actually comes bundled with the original DSS at <$110.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back