Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #13,877 of 48,578
Quote:
They sound REALLY good with Dolby Headphone.

-Erik

Hows the soundstage?  Feel free to reference the PC360 or AD700 if you want, as I'm familiar with them both...

popcorn.gif

May 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #13,878 of 48,578
This is very helpful, thanks!

I just need some points clarified.  

So, my best set up for gaming & movies is:

1. My AKG 65th headphones on my head connects via RCA to the FiiO amp.
  2. FiiO amp connects to the USB sound card via ???
  3. Creative Soundblaster XFi Surround Pro 5.1
    or
    Recon3D
    or
     ??? (I don't have room for a integrated sound card thanks to crossfired cards... not sure what to get here) connects to the PC via USB cable.  

So, my two road-bumps are my soundcard (I only have an integrated motherboard one) and what connects the amp to the USB soundcard.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Just connect the soundcard/surround processor to the amp using a standard male to male 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. You could plug your headphones directly into the "soundcard" without any adapters, except you're just adding an amp in-between for more power. You could also make use of the RCA input on your FiiO amp using a 3.5mm-male to RCA-male cable, but it doesn't really make a difference in sound quality. These are REALLY common cables, you can find them at RadioShack, Best Buy, Walmart, Target... heck, the FiiO amp probably comes with one, cuz they know you'll need it.

May 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #13,879 of 48,578
To any head-fi gamers in the lower 48 ...I have a new unopened pair of Philips X1's for $315 shipped. I'm trying to tempt you MLE. Hopefully someone here picks them up to see how awesome they are with DH. 

Hnnnnnnggggggh!
C'mon new job, please be worth the years of wait, 5 applications, and 4th round of interview I'll have tomorrow!

May 29, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #13,880 of 48,578
From what I remember, Dolby Home Theater V4 isn't Dolby Headphone nor does it compare. Just what I remember from the last time someone wrote about it.

Nameless seems to know, IIRC he's writ several times that that is a step down for positional quality from DH... May have less distortion tho.

May 29, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #13,883 of 48,578
I decided to bite on those Fidelio X1s
biggrin.gif

I've been wanting to hear them for many months, and this was as good an opportunity as any.  I've read too many good things about them which has made me too damn curious. 
tongue_smile.gif

Expect a full review, with the X1s being compared against the Anniversaries and Q701s in detail. 

Should I decide to let them go, they'll be right back up for the same price I got them for. 
If I do sell them though, I will first be sending them to "OP" so he can audition them himself.
It was super-nice of you to loan me your HE400s MLE, so I will of course repay the kindness. 
beerchug.gif

Even if I decide to keep them, you can still expect a "care package" 
wink.gif

May 29, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #13,884 of 48,578
I decided to sell my CALs.

They just don't ever get used next to my AKGs, and I don't like to see them sitting in a box. 
frown.gif

Shipped for $45.  > http://www.head-fi.org/t/665824/creative-aurvana-live

May 29, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #13,885 of 48,578
The CAL for $45 is an absolute steal. :)

And thats awesome of you. Im very surprised you decided on the X1s, considering they're on the bassy and trebly side, fwir and from Tyll's graphs. I guess that'd make a good contrast to the Annies.

May 29, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #13,886 of 48,578
Quote:
The CAL for $45 is an absolute steal.
smily_headphones1.gif

And thats awesome of you. Im very surprised you decided on the X1s, considering they're on the bassy and trebly side, fwir and from Tyll's graphs. I guess that'd make a good contrast to the Annies.

Ya. 

Bassy and trebly, but it sounds like they do it better than the other bassy and trebly can's - meaning they do it tastefully and don't butcher the mids.  I'm hoping they'll be a fun can for gaming and movies, like the anniversaries on steroids with extra bass and airier treble.  I can't get a straight answer on their treble quantity.  I've read everything from them being darker than the Anniversaries to being brighter than the HE400s.  Classic Head-fi.  

Worst case scenario is I just sell them for the same price, and I'm only out the cost of shipping to audition them.

We'll see...

May 29, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #13,887 of 48,578
I think the HE400 confuses people. On one hand, its a pretty warm/dark headphone. On the other, the treble goes against the dark nature of the cans and is very prominent.

I think the X1 will be brighter than the HE400, though not with the same prominence of treble. Plenty of headphones brighter than the HE400, yet less glaring. HE-4, DT880, SR407 to name a few.

May 29, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #13,889 of 48,578
That's true.  The HE400 isn't the brightest headphone, and the treble is actually very clean and transparent sounding.  It just sounds off when heard next to the rest of the signature, which can make it come across as overly sparkly.

It's nowhere near the DT990 or anything.
basshead.gif

May 29, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #13,890 of 48,578
Quote:
Thank you for this list! I went with Audio-Technica ATH-50 MS, along with a FiiO E9 AMP and FiiO E17 DAC.

Hmmm....Interesting choices....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back