Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #13,848 of 48,562
Hello,
i will soon buy dt770 pro 250 for my laptop and ps3, so i will buy fiiio e0k for the laptop and astro for ps3, but because of my  limited budget i have to buy only one now and then save for the other so what to buy first, will the astro work fine with the laptop and music because the laptop is the most important now

May 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #13,849 of 48,562
Not if your laptop doesn't have an optical out. The Mixamp needs an optical out. And the Mixamp is terrible as a music amp.

May 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #13,851 of 48,562
Quote:
Hello,
i will soon buy dt770 pro 250 for my laptop and ps3, so i will buy fiiio e0k for the laptop and astro for ps3, but because of my  limited budget i have to buy only one now and then save for the other so what to buy first, will the astro work fine with the laptop and music because the laptop is the most important now

Quote:
no it doesn't have optical on my laptop, so should i will buy the fiio and then save for the astro or i can buy used dss insted of the astro what do you think

Assuming you don't have a decent DAC, getting a DAC/amp combo will yield better sound for music then just chaining an E09K on to your laptop's headphone OUT jack (which will just amplify a crappy signal). 

The DSS is fine as a Dolby Headphone amp, IF YOU DON'T NEED CHAT.
If you want surround on your laptop for gaming, look at the Asus Xonar U3 or U7 or Xonar Essence STU.  These also have decent DACs built-in, and the last one has an amp similar to the E09K.

May 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #13,854 of 48,562
Pretty sure the U3 won't work with PS3.  You need to do everything through optical with the consoles.

I can't say whether the U3 will be enough  amp for the Dt770s.  It is not too powerful.  The U7 and Essence STU will be more powerful, but aren't available to buy yet.

May 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #13,855 of 48,562
Quote:
The DSS is fine as a Dolby Headphone amp, IF YOU DON'T NEED CHAT.
If you want surround on your laptop for gaming, look at the Asus Xonar U3 or U7 or Xonar Essence STU.  These also have decent DACs built-in, and the last one has an amp similar to the E09K.

If people prefer the DSS and want to use chat, still... here is an option:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Digital-Optical-Output-SD-AUD20101/product-reviews/B006SF68P2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

All you have to do is plug it into the PS3 USB and set the sound to go through the DSS and the chat to go through this.

May 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #13,857 of 48,562
Quote:
I will buy the fiio for my laptop will it be good for movies or not, and the u7 will be available,and thanks for all the help.

The FiiO (E07K?) won't have any surround sound, but apart from that it is nice DAC/amp.

To summarize:
Asus U3, U7, Essence STU would be for surround sound on laptops.  The U7 and Essence STU will have decent amp/dacs.
FiiO E07K would be for an stereo DAC/amp for PC.
DSS/Mixamp would be for a surround sound on consoles.

May 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #13,859 of 48,562
Quote:
Pretty sure the U3 won't work with PS3.  You need to do everything through optical with the consoles.

I can't say whether the U3 will be enough  amp for the Dt770s.  It is not too powerful.  The U7 and Essence STU will be more powerful, but aren't available to buy yet.

I had to pair my U3 with the E7 when using my Q701s before selling them both off for a different setup. It was a great starter, and if you go with the U3 you'll definitely need an amp for the 770s.

May 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #13,860 of 48,562
Just lettin you know, if any of you love listening to Hatsune Miku or playing battlefield 3, I would try and maybe avoid the a900x.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/5a/5a3ca466_25tgjro.jpg

Battlefield 3's audio is incredible, but when those bullet casings start dropping on the floor, the little tinkles the casings make on the ground can be a bit piercing sometimes.
Hatsune Miku is a vocaloid, so her S's are digitally emphasized. It could be a bit painful sometimes, especially in her song Nekomimi Switch.
Otherwise I'd recommend these headphones for everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back