Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 14, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #13,531 of 48,562
Quote:
Did you get 3.2? It's a complete turnaround for me, compared to what I originally reviewed. After I review the PLYR1, the Mad Dogs are getting updated. This time, it's considerably more favorable. I absolutely love the new MD.

I did not, an since when did you become an contributor Mad, grats to ya

Non the less, I did not get the revision. I got 3.0 I hear that 3.2 is a little tighter and brighter, but overall it is still a dark can. Which isn't a bad thing! I still intended to buy them when I get on my feet!

Non the less, sadly my xb 700s are doing pretty well on the Ebay. I'm pretty confident they'll sell for what I wanted... it's a shame I couldn't get them to sell here <.< non the less I should b back into purchasing cans soon! Hoping to start doing some reviews for companies to! :D would be a neat way to exapand mah knowledge! 

May 14, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #13,532 of 48,562
Quote:
The HD280s do amazingly well at isolation :p

They also clamp your head to the point that you bleed out of every orifice on your body (especially the nether regions) within 15 seconds of wearing them and the sonics (if you can call them that) are like a speaker muffled from under several pillows. You know the fairy tale The Princess and the Pea? The HD 280 is the pea and MLE is the princess who felt it.
wink.gif

May 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #13,533 of 48,562
Quote:
They also clamp your head to the point that you bleed out of every orifice on your body (especially the nether regions) within 15 seconds of wearing them...

LOL

May 14, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #13,534 of 48,562
They also clamp your head to the point that you bleed out of every orifice on your body (especially the nether regions) within 15 seconds of wearing them and the sonics (if you can call them that) are like a speaker muffled from under several pillows. You know the fairy tale The Princess and the Pea? The HD 280 is the pea and MLE is the princess who felt it. :wink:

The 280 Pro... *shivers*

I think I still feel phantom pains from wearing that for a few days.

Looks like I'll have to deal with Dell directly to get my problem fixed, as the 3rd party won't give me a refund. Should've known. It works 100% fine, just the gfx switch won't work on my laptop screen, but on external devices it works fine. Also, the computer switches to the amd card when high performance, but it's case by case basis. As soon as I'm in not in the program, windows defaults to the integrated card. Kind of hard to optimize. A problem that would be circumvented if my stupid dedicated card would just work properly.

May 14, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #13,535 of 48,562
Why didn't anyone get their X1 gifted from Europe? Taxiation that bad? 

May 14, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #13,536 of 48,562
Anyways, looks like I'm keeping the comp. It does play games quite well. Sleeping Dogs on all max except Anti-Aliasing on normal was running smooth as butter.

Any single player games with controller support I should look into?

Considering Bioshock infinite, Tomb Raider, DmC.

Also, I really need to do some way to map the mouse and keyboard into my controller... I really wanna play Mass Effect 2 and 3 on the PC...

May 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #13,537 of 48,562
@evshrug thank you for the info. I'll probably check out the iems you spoke of as well. I mean I don't really mind the idea of open just was wondering how much noise really leaks out or in in comparison.

Any recommendations for sound cards though to pair with one of these headphones? Would the Asus Xonar STX be fine?

@madlust Ewww to dell/alienware laptops. Had too many issues with my Dell laptop in the past so I really don't support them at all now. Don't even trust alienware since dell bought them out. I'd rather try a laptop from some other company like Asus or Samsung instead for a gaming laptop at this point due to all the problems I've had in the past. Or even some other third party vendor like maingear, origin, Ibuypower, or voodoo.

May 14, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #13,538 of 48,562
It has an HDMI input, which is the only reason I bought it over other laptops. You can't find laptops with HDMI inputs.

Anyone using the Recond 3D... how the hell do I set up the virtual surround for pc use? Sigh, this is one good reason why I don't bother with PC gaming.

May 14, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #13,539 of 48,562
Quote:
It has an HDMI input, which is the only reason I bought it over other laptops. You can't find laptops with HDMI inputs.

Anyone using the Recond 3D... how the hell do I set up the virtual surround for pc use? Sigh, this is one good reason why I don't bother with PC gaming.

Recon 3d a realtek like cheap by creative :D

The surround cursor should be the "thing" to play with .

And on speackers/headphones choose headphone ? 

May 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #13,540 of 48,562
Tried all that, still sounds like stereo. I know THX tru Studio is capable of sounding a lot like the Dolby Headphone...

May 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #13,541 of 48,562
They also clamp your head to the point that you bleed out of every orifice on your body (especially the nether regions) within 15 seconds of wearing them and the sonics (if you can call them that) are like a speaker muffled from under several pillows. You know the fairy tale The Princess and the Pea? The HD 280 is the pea and MLE is the princess who felt it. :wink:

Bah, you guys have weak skulls, i cant even feel it :p

May 14, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #13,542 of 48,562
Quote:
To clarify, it's W3000ANV > W1000X > Q701 for gaming. The W1000X with J$ Beyerdynamic pads gets surprisingly close to the Q701's width and depth, while having better imaging. Haven't tried the W3000ANV with the Beyer pads yet.

That said, the Q701 is a must-buy at the sub-$200 used price point.

Hopefully we see you with the Fidelio X1 somewhere within those two weeks. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sorry man, I really want to see you with the X1, and if that means the KS ESP sucks, well...

I agree. My Q701 are my favorite headphones as of yet. I've had a few others and yet I ALWAYS wear my Q701 for no matter what I do. Console gaming, PC gaming, music, watching movies, youtube. They are just DAMN nice headphones and unbelievably comfortable. If there is a way to make them more comfortable I must know it!!
L3000.gif

May 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #13,543 of 48,562
I might borrow a pair of DT 880s in the coming weeks and compare them with the other mid-fi headphones. So far, my personal ranking for gaming performance in the mid-fi arena is:

W1000X > Q701 > DT 770 LE > A900X > HD 650 > HF-2

That's only for imaging and competitive advantage with DH, though. For music listening it's more like W1000X > HF-2/HD 650 > Q701 > A900X > DT 770 LE

I'm curious to see where the DT 880 will fit in, since MLE's mention of the rear imaging deficiency concerns me.

May 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #13,544 of 48,562
Ah that makes sense the hdmi is pretty rare on laptops. Never really looked for that feature so can't recommend any other brands. But hope things work out with it and it needs your needs otherwise. Hopefully the black screen issue can be fixed eventually.

May 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #13,545 of 48,562
Non the less, sadly my xb 700s are doing pretty well on the Ebay. I'm pretty confident they'll sell for what I wanted... it's a shame I couldn't get them to sell here <.< non the less I should b back into purchasing cans soon! Hoping to start doing some reviews for companies to! :D would be a neat way to exapand mah knowledge! 

No offense Mshenay, I love ya but if you want companies to pay you for reviews, your writing will have to change from 4chan to professional and become more clear and correct in grammar and spelling.

@evshrug thank you for the info. I'll probably check out the iems you spoke of as well. I mean I don't really mind the idea of open just was wondering how much noise really leaks out or in in comparison.

Any recommendations for sound cards though to pair with one of these headphones? Would the Asus Xonar STX be fine?

The Q701, to the bystander, sounds like a small speaker at low volume. Little bit louder than a whisper, at what I consider normal listening volume. The person wearing the Q701 will have about as much noise muffled as pulling an autumn-time shirt over your head, like cornholio.

The Etymotic canalphones I mentioned were the first HiFi headphones I personally owned, they don't make my particular model anymore but Etymotic is a great brand, the first to make IEMs as an extension from hearing aids to become monitors for musicians, and then sold for public consumption. They really do go in your ears like earplugs, which can take some getting used to, but they are detail monsters and can have VERY flat & neutral frequency response since it doesn't interact with your outer ear, but the highest treble tends to roll off sharply, at least my (older) model. Soundstage, as can be expected, is very small and "inside your head," but the imaging – the sense of a sound coming from right here in relation to you – is very good because they are so detailed and balanced, so they still work well with surround, binaural, and holographic recordings. Canalphones aren't very casual headphones like earbuds are (but earbuds hurt my ears), canalbuds are kind of like hybrids that insert a little bit and make a compromise — comfort is VERY subjective among these three types of headphone. Head-Fi member ClieOS has a review round-up of a TON of IEMs if you want more info and choices, but personally I compared price equivalent models from Shure and Etymotic side-by-side, and the SQ and isolation (and comfort, the Shure's olive eartips never worked well or stayed in for me) had a clear winner: the ER•6i for me, and I recommend whatever is their ~$100 descendant.

The Asus ST or STX model indeed ought to be fine, the best choice for a soundcard with Dolby Headphone, though I heard drivers and support can be a pain in the rear. Another option growing in popularity is Creative's Z-series gaming cards, instead of DH they use their own new version of surround processing called SBX, and from the reviews it seems like people are happier about the drivers and game support. Whether DH or SBX or another surround DSP sounds better is up to your ears and tastes.

Bah, you guys have weak skulls, i cant even feel it :p

There is a word from the 90's, I think it is an applicable retort here: you numbskull :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back