Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 13, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #13,486 of 48,564
Not trying to dismiss your claim, but everyone else with impressions on it's sound have been positive. Every single one. I of course, will wait until I hear it myself.

As long as the build isn't like the ESP950, I'm good. They have yet to finalize headband design as well FWIH, so either way, I'll see for myself. If it's as horrible as you say, I still have a 2 week return period.

May 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #13,487 of 48,564
So MLE are you going to continue your reign of supremacy when the next gen consoles come out? Or are you going to be like me and say: "BAH! Console game is too expensive nowadays without all the benefits of PC gaming."
biggrin.gif
Just wondering.

Hi all btw. Been some months since I popped in.

May 13, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #13,488 of 48,564
Though I might dive into PC gaming (single player gaming, anyway) on PC, I will always have at least a Playstation console. Definitely hyped for the PS4. I'd get the New Xbox, but I honestly don't need both, and I prefer the exclusives on Sony's system over Halo and Gears which are the only Xbox exclusives I'd play. I'm not even a fan of Halo. I do wish I was able to play Gears though.

May 13, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #13,490 of 48,564
What would be the best way to compare two headphones against each other?
I was considering running a Benchmark of some game and compare the "feel" of both headphones.

I think swapping between two headphones ingame would be a hazzle, maybe play game for a day then next day try the other headphones for a day?

May 13, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #13,491 of 48,564
It's best you get acquainted with one for at least a week, then use the other. Hot swapping isn't really helpful unless the headphones are similar in tonal balance, and you've been well acquainted with both.

Swapping from say a Mad Dog to a Pro 900, or HD650 vs DT990 wouldn't be good whatsoever. When frequency response is quite different, you will find one to be awful if you were used to the other. I.e. If using a dark headphone for a long period and switching to a bright headphone, the bright headphone will sound like pure treble death. If vice-versa, the dark one will sound awfully slow and muddy.

The best you can get in such extreme circumstances is soundstage and positional cues, IMHO.

May 13, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #13,492 of 48,564
Quote:
REALLY, wow I own the w1000x, and you feel it's BETTER... hehe lucky me. 

To clarify, it's W3000ANV > W1000X > Q701 for gaming. The W1000X with J$ Beyerdynamic pads gets surprisingly close to the Q701's width and depth, while having better imaging. Haven't tried the W3000ANV with the Beyer pads yet.

That said, the Q701 is a must-buy at the sub-$200 used price point.

Not trying to dismiss your claim, but everyone else with impressions on it's sound have been positive. Every single one. I of course, will wait until I hear it myself.

As long as the build isn't like the ESP950, I'm good. They have yet to finalize headband design as well FWIH, so either way, I'll see for myself. If it's as horrible as you say, I still have a 2 week return period.

Hopefully we see you with the Fidelio X1 somewhere within those two weeks. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sorry man, I really want to see you with the X1, and if that means the KS ESP sucks, well...

May 13, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #13,493 of 48,564
Quote:

It's hard to get impressed when you have heard almost everything. That itself is not a problem as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of music.
If I had to find reasons to buy one it would be very hard to do. That explains my "not impressed".

It might not fall apart like the ESP but damn does it look cheap and amateurish. 

May 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #13,494 of 48,564
I promise that if the KS-H1 is as bad as he says, the X1 will be my next headphone.

I've come to not expect great build quality out of stats that aren't flagship level like the Omegas.

I hear nothing but great things about comfort and sound, so I'm still excited.

May 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #13,495 of 48,564
I find STAX to be disappointing for their price level and a lot people mentioned that during the High End 2013. In that regard Kingsound isn't that bad of course. They'll improve.

May 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #13,496 of 48,564
Thing is, I can listen to the LCD2, and go all the way down to an M50, and still think they sound great. I'm not overly critical unless a headphone just sounds plain bad. I take price to performance into consideration, but I don't belittle headphones on a lower level, just because I'm used to the higher end stuff. A good headphone is a good headphone, regardless of price.

There's a lot of people that as soon as they get the next best thing, everything before it is now obsolete. I'm not one of these people.

I'm currently A/B-ing between the Mad Dogs and Plyr 1 for music, and I'm enjoying both immensely.

May 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #13,497 of 48,564
Quote:
It's best you get acquainted with one for at least a week, then use the other. Hot swapping isn't really helpful unless the headphones are similar in tonal balance, and you've been well acquainted with both.

Swapping from say a Mad Dog to a Pro 900, or HD650 vs DT990 wouldn't be good whatsoever. When frequency response is quite different, you will find one to be awful if you were used to the other. I.e. If using a dark headphone for a long period and switching to a bright headphone, the bright headphone will sound like pure treble death. If vice-versa, the dark one will sound awfully slow and muddy.

The best you can get in such extreme circumstances is soundstage and positional cues, IMHO.

Thanks, yeah it makes sense to have for one week the new headphones.
Is this how you do with all the headphones that you have tested in youre guide?

I will be getting K601 to have as reference for future headphones (if needed).
My current(and only ever had) headphones are Sennheiser HD212pro, I have had them very long maybe 7-10years.
They are closed and are considered to be bass & "fun" friendly according these reviews 
Ive read they have good positional direction for gaming considered they are closed, my guess is that the K601 propably is better.

The K601 are supposed to be on the low side when it comes to bass, they are open headphones, analytical(?), Ive read one member write they have similar sound to Q701, some say it is quality wise slightly below or equal to K701.

Price wise here in Sweden it is much lower compared to K701/Q701 so it logicaly should be not as good but regardless I'm hoping to be satisfied with them :)

Basicaly the K701 is 50% more expensive then K601, then the Q701 is 100% more expensive then K601, and lastly K702annie is 100% more expensive then Q701 so the Annie is 4 times as expensive as K601 

May 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #13,498 of 48,564
Thing is, I can listen to the LCD2, and go all the way down to an M50, and still think they sound great. I'm not overly critical unless a headphone just sounds plain bad. I take price to performance into consideration, but I don't belittle headphones on a lower level, just because I'm used to the higher end stuff. A good headphone is a good headphone, regardless of price.

There's a lot of people that as soon as they get the next best thing, everything before it is now obsolete. I'm not one of these people.

On that note folks, I would like to point out that the Little Koss that Could, the KSC75 clip-ons (and the KTXPRO1 I know next to nothing about) are the gold box deals on Amazon today, only $9.99. I may snag a pair for portable use :)

May 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #13,499 of 48,564
Quote:
Playing music with Dolby. Obviously doing it wrong.

And you can sacrifice your positioning, while I continue to get the upper hand because of so called dolbything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Guess who I am? And guess why I do as well as I do? This is a prime example why Dolby Headphone is a definite must have. Plain stereo gives you mostly linear sound cues with extreme left and right sound cues and everything in between. Dolby Headphone places sounds around you, and in time, becomes absolute second nature. Sound is more often than not, more important than actual sight. When you can kill 3 people in a room by shooting through the wall accurately, DH is doing it's thing.

I'm sure there are many people who agreee with you on not using it, and I'm sure it's the main reason why they consistently stay below me on the leaderboards, and keep being sent messages calling me a hacker/cheater.
wink.gif

If more people used DH with a solid pair of cans, I wouldn't be as dominant.

Believe me, use a pair of good headphones and DH (properly set up, which might be quite hard to do on PC) for at a few weeks without playing in stereo. Then go back to stereo and tell me is every bit as good as DH. Raw fidelity, sure. Accurate sound placement, immersion, I think not. It's like putting blinders on. I may as well be playing without looking at the screen.

You really should post your impressions on the guide, and not here, as this is the K712 thread, not the dolbything thread.

you want impressions OK no prob .

I played a lot of multiplayer FPS and i still do (less but some times i play quite a bite) .

I passed YEARS with CMSS 3D (setting it at 1/3 or 1/2 on the cursor) from creative (with varioius X-Fi based cards) and some months with Dolby Headphone (somes asus) (tryed the 3 presets) , with cheapo headphone at first and K272HD for a long time . Then i switched to DACs => no more CMSS 3D or Dolby headphone , (well at time i just bought a Auzentech X-Fi forte for S/PDIF out (wich came still use CMSS 3D via S/PDIF) .

BUT the thing is even without this little "tricks" i still manage to play somewhat  well , i would say as good as it was with dolbything and cmss 3d . And with K702 i finaly found that dolby things / cmss 3d had to much impact on sound , well peraphs there is beter positioning , but sorry i loose to much on fidelity , and as i said it's not a problem for me , i don't have problem to find my ennemies and shoot them .

Some days i play well , some not all , but it's just for the fun . For me i don't need anymore dolbyheadphone or CMSS 3D , don't feel the need at all .

Many love dolbyheadphone or cmss 3d , i can understand this , but if you can't understand that we can play very well without it ...

Some exemples  2  on Day OF Defeat source , and one BF3

Na sorry it's sure for me i can live without Dolby headphone or CMSS 3d without any regrets
normal_smile .gif

edit : tués on DoD => kills

and peraphs you are more skilled than average ...

May 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #13,500 of 48,564
Mad probably is more skillet than others. Personally, headphone surround was kinda fun but didn't improve my game at first (I was already like a 1.5 K:D average across any day), but gradually I became more sensitive to positional audio and started picking up a few more kills, and about three months ago (before I started my job) I had my first experience playing CoD4 where I heard someone shooting at 5 O'clock - I flicked around and shot at a blank wall, but got the kill through it.

I have a DSS now (with dolby headphone, tho Dolbything is fun to say), and I started with a receiver featuring Silent Cinema, but when I upgraded to a Recon3D (with THX Tru Studio... Lol all these effects names!) and played Halo: Reach in SWAT on Zealot for the first time, I was already used to listening for positional audio but the audio quality was much improved, I got 4-5 assassinations and caught SO many people off guard. I don't have a final score screenshot, but I did have a game so good that even to me felt ridiculously easy.

Now, I get on average somewhere between 2.0 and 2.5 K:D in my competitive MP. I probably would have a better K:D if I changed my playstyle from being a crazy rusher, but I just play for fun and wild moments. I can't claim that surround improved my Starcraft game... oh well I'll work my way out from Silver one day. If only more games included surround verticality, so I could literally get the drop on people.
-----

PS: Mad,
Should I snag a KSC 75 for myself? I'm not really a fan of clip-ons, I don't find them comfortable or secure, though I do need a casual portable headphone AND I'm wearing contacts instead of glasses again. Heard anything about the KTXPRO1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back