Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #13,306 of 48,583
Quote:
Portable means the E12 is about the size of my mom's Android smartphone (slightly smaller), unlike the O2 which is called "portable" but you wouldn't carry it in a pants pocket, maybe in a backpack though. Maybe in a fanny pack :p

Haha!
I'd rather have something bigger and a bit more stable than that. It's gotta look like a complicated and nerdy piece of machinery, otherwise I'm not interested.

Also, it appears my TC electronic Impact Twin is a very nice high quality firewire ADC / DAC  (I really didn't know what it was), that also functions as a headphone amp and monitor controller (although with a very high 80 ohm headphone output). I've only used as an external soundcard when producing music on my computer, but there's some guys who use it as a preamp or DAC in their home stereo setup. 
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/can-impact-twin-be-used-preamp-home-stereo-system-15605/

This might be a dumb question, but would there be any use to include the DAC in the gaming setup?
I'm thinking: Xbox -> MixAmp -> TC DAC -> NAD integrated stereo headphone amp -> headphones
Alternatively, I'll just skip the NAD in the chain as the DAC already has headphone outputs. Or I'll just skip the DAC altogether, lol.

Thoughts?

Apr 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #13,307 of 48,583
Quote:
This might be a dumb question, but would there be any use to include the DAC in the gaming setup?
I'm thinking: Xbox -> MixAmp -> TC DAC -> NAD integrated stereo headphone amp -> headphones
Alternatively, I'll just skip the NAD in the chain as the DAC already has headphone outputs. Or I'll just skip the DAC altogether, lol.

Thoughts?

No. 

You can only have one DAC in the chain.  The DAC is right at the beginning of the audio chain to convert the digital signal to analog - where it will stay analog until it reaches the headphone.

You can't chain DACs together.

For gaming the Mixamp has to be the DAC otherwise you don't get Dolby Headphone.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #13,309 of 48,583
I took an old Xbox headset and modded it so that there are two 3.5mm stereo jacks coming from it. One for the headset audio(I bridged the wire so that the mono signal comes through both left and right sides) and the other for the microphone.  I use my headphones with a Y cable to get my game audio from my DSS and then get the headset audio from my adapter.  It works but for some reason when i connect my headphones to the adapter in the controller both audio sources (game and voice chat) become mono.  It works better than using the Steelseries mixer with the DSS because the audio quality isn't degraded but I have no idea why everything becomes mono. 

Does anybody have an idea why this may be?

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #13,310 of 48,583
Having been away from the forums for awhile I have to return after many months of gaming on consoles and PC with my Q701's hooked up to my Harman Kardon receiver.  For consoles I get automatic Dolby Digital Live converted into Dolby Headphone and it's not bad at all.  The receiver allows me to adjust levels to boost what I need to in order to push the Q701's properly.  Gaming bliss on the consoles.  Very good detail, but folks...let me tell you, PC gaming with headphones like the Q701's is pure greatness.  I have a sound card that allows for Dolby Digital Live and so many tweaks you can't help but fine tune these headphones to perfection.  Q701's tend to be a bit lacking for those that want a little more bass for their phones...not anymore with my tweaks on the PC.  It's so clean, so accurate that I couldn't believe they were the same headphones.  Mad Lust Envy and others that offer tips know EXACTLY what they are talking about.  Be prepared to tweak in order to make your headphones work beautifully.  I am a VERY happy camper and can now can understand why the love of good headphones exists.  I can honestly say I don't even miss my surround sound of my 5.1 speakers now.  I basically use that for music when no one is home.

Apr 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #13,311 of 48,583
[size=11pt][size=medium]For some reason I’m having a hard time visualizing this.  Are we talking the “chat” headset or a regular headset?  You cut the male connector and replaced it with two 3.5mm jacks (female)?  I think a schematic would help.  [/size][/size]

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #13,312 of 48,583
So I went and rebought the first Black Ops. I forgot how fun the game was. No cheaters or millions of overpowered killstreaks (aside from Dogs, which not many people get anyways).

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #13,313 of 48,583
Heads up just posted for sale my PC360's and Turtle Beach DSS2 (w/syba for chat). I didn't know Head-Fi had a classified I really only came hear to learn about gaming with headphone surround sound. Anyhow I have rarely used this setup, you will see why if you go to the post, so everything is in new condition. Looking to move as a package but I am considering separating. Thanks and MLE I am looking forward to the Fidelio X1 review.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661824/sennheiser-pc360-tb-earforce-dss2

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #13,314 of 48,583
Quote:
So I went and rebought the first Black Ops. I forgot how fun the game was. No cheaters or millions of overpowered killstreaks (aside from Dogs, which not many people get anyways).

I think it's time you jumped on the field, MLE. Right now is the perfect time.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #13,315 of 48,583
I think it's time you jumped on the field, MLE. Right now is the perfect time.

I haven't liked Battlefield since Modern Combat. The maps are too big, the pacing is too slow, and it's too team oriented. I'm a horrible team player. I play TDM but run off and do my own thing. :D

Played BC, BC, and BF3. None of them were for me after BF2:MC (which was my first FPS ever).

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #13,316 of 48,583
Quote:
I'm a horrible team player.

Ain't that the truth. 
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #13,317 of 48,583
Nothing compares to the satisfaction of demolishing a building full of campers in BF:BC2
cool.gif

I can only hope BF4 has that kind of destruction.... 

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #13,318 of 48,583
COD doesn't really encourage you to be team player. 
tongue.gif

Everyone just runs around and shoots s***.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #13,319 of 48,583
Quote:
[size=11pt][size=medium]For some reason I’m having a hard time visualizing this.  Are we talking the “chat” headset or a regular headset?  You cut the male connector and replaced it with two 3.5mm jacks (female)?  I think a schematic would help.  [/size][/size]

i used the headset that comes with the Xbox when you buy it.  I cut the end of the wire that attached to the actual headset portion of the entire thing and stripped the wire so that the ground for the mic portion and speaker portion as well as the live wires for each were separated.  I wired the ground and live wire of the microphone side to a 3.5mm jack so that any PC mic could connect to it and I also wired the ground and live wire of the speaker portion bridged into a stereo 3.5mm jack so I could plug any headphone into it.  It's pretty much like what they show here in this link except I cut the Microsoft headset cable to do it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-your-awesome-PC-Gaming-Headset-with-an-X-Box/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back