Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #13,246 of 48,565
I recently bought a set of Tritton Warhead (Halo 4 edition) as I wanted to give a fully wireless set up a try. My expectations were not high, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well I was able to hear directionally, especially front/back. I really didn't expect to say this, but I think the Warhead has better directional and positioning sound than the Astro mixamp + AKG K702 headphone setup that I have been using for several years now.

Huh? That's the response I have been having too. In trying to figure out why, the only reason I can come up with is that there must be something to the 7.1 processing of the Warhead. Before now, I have always dismissed the advantage of 7.1 since the Xbox only puts out a 5.1 signal. The best I can tell, the Warhead creates 7.1 simulated surround by first pre-processing the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal using Dolby Pro Logic IIx to come up with a 7.1 signal. This 7.1 signal is then processed using Dolby Headphone.

In contrast, my Astro Mixamp (not the latest 2013 edition) utilizes Dolby Headphone on the DD 5.1 signal (without PLIIx pre-processing to create 7.1). I wonder if the Warhead's use of the PLIIx pre-processing adds some more emphasis to the rear channels. Whatever it is, it seems to work very well.

The latest 2013 Astro Mixamp claims 7.1 - I wonder if it incorporates PLIIx processing as well. Has anyone upgraded from an older Mixamp and noticed an improvement in directional/positioning sound?

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #13,247 of 48,565
Hey ATB, to quote myself:

I've compared DH 5.1 and DH 7.1. They sound exactly the same to me. My receiver has DH 5.1. and I've compared the old Mixamp with the 5.8 which is marketed as 7.1. No difference.

I think the Warheads may have better depth than the AKGs. While the AKGs have fantastic soundstage, their depth isn't amazing. I've heard a few headphones with better depth, LCD2 to name one.

70x's strength is sheer size overall, but it's a lot of width more than depth.

Not that many headphones with amazing depth.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #13,248 of 48,565
Quote:
At electrostat prices you should be getting something that looks like it's been through more than one design pass.

Most of them look like headphones used by the military during Word War 1/2.

At these prices, where's the attention to detail?  The premium materials? 
It looks like they just slap together a rough working prototype then sell that as the finished product.

lol just slap together hah! Your probably right i wonder how wide the sound stage and depth is on them for gaming?? Oh well let me go and find some impressions and more info on these 800.00 beuties..

Koss ESP950 is a winner in my book so  much i'm about to offload my HE-500 soon along with my HD650 in which i thought i'd never even think of getting rid of.

I do realise though that my search for the ultimate can is pretty much about done. A couple diy projects on the way and going  back to my 5.1 and 2.1 speaker set ups...  

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #13,249 of 48,565
The ESP 950 is basically a 9 for competitive use, and about a 7.5 for fun. It's incredibly linear with a little warmth, and the bass while not very impactful is full/soft sounding, so it's at least atmospheric/ambient.

That's how I feel at the moment.

I still like the SR-407's sound quality a bit more, but that's because the 407 was a bit more aggressive and lively. Other than that, the ESP 950 is an absolute monster of a headphone sound-wise.

The ESP 950's treble is non-fatiguing but clear, but not on the Stax level, which was out of this world.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #13,250 of 48,565
I'd ask what you have given it for comfort but you gave AD700 a 4/10.  
redface.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #13,251 of 48,565
It doesnt shock my ears and it doesnt slide around like its the cool thing to do. I'll give it a 7.5, as it could stand to be more secure, and because it has the worst kind of pleather pads, that look like they'll flake for any reason.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #13,255 of 48,565
Quote:
It doesnt shock my ears and it doesnt slide around like its the cool thing to do. I'll give it a 7.5, as it could stand to be more secure, and because it has the worst kind of pleather pads, that look like they'll flake for any reason.
You don't like the so so soft plastic earpad coverings?? I would not even call them pleather but to me they are very soft. I do have a problem with the headbands fit being loose on my nogging because i have a very slender shaped head.  A little bending of the top headband and problem solved.
I wish i could try the stax009 but for 5 Grand  thats not ever gonna happen lol.. The volume controls on the esp950 i thought was stupid at first but after some thought i realise its made that way for a reason being that its an analog volume control for an electrostat headphone
The overall design seems toyish but it has a liftime warranty and its sooo dammm light on your head that it made me think that wearing my HE-400/500 was more akin to going to the gym to work out with weights for my neck. lol

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #13,256 of 48,565
Quote:
You would then max out or nearly max out the 'Mixamp' on the master volume, and control the volume with the audiophile amp.

It is recommended that you get a DESKTOP amplifier, for the power they output over portable amps. It takes nearly 2x the power of an amp just to gain a few decibels in volume. This is why using a portable amp is not recommended.

Hi, I am still somewhat confused how two amps would work together with their independent volume levels. Currently my Mixamp rx 5.8 is paired with a 32ohm AKG K550. They are mostly plenty loud but to achieve the loudness I desire, hissing does occur at the 75% volume mark with game volume at 100% (chat is not a issue or used) so if I may ask a few q's for clarification before buying a amp...

1)As you stated, volume on the mixamp should be at 100%, would the hiss continue on to the amp? or would it be best to level the mixamp at just before hissing occurs?

2)Would adding a portable Fiio E11 give me a noticeable quality/sound boost without hiss? I know you said portables don't quite cut it but I am not neccessarily in need of more volume (ok, maybe a lil lol) but I would like to have it loud and no hiss, can the portable E11 achieve this? I am into the rx8 portable-ness, its just fantastic! Can't believe there are other better options like this :frowning2:

3)I haven't bought the Fiio yet, is this the best, small, portable amp (without dac) under $150 considering I am pairing it with rx5.8 and AKG K550s?

Thank you,
riz

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #13,257 of 48,565
The hiss is inherent in the sound regardless of volume. Whether you max out the Mixamp or have the Mixamp at low volume and raise the external amp volume, it will be the same exact hiss. Once you reach a certain volume level, it will hiss. Maxing out the Mixamp ensures you get all the bit resolution.

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #13,258 of 48,565
hmm, still confused. My mixamp rx5.8 at 75% volume exhibits zero hiss (I swear, zero :) So does keeping the volume at 75% but then adding a amp create louder volume with no hiss (sorry, if i am being a idiot lol) and did you have a opinion of E11 being a worthy portable upgrade? thx!

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #13,259 of 48,565
Once you pass that specific decibel level, it will hiss, regardless of how good the external amp is. Like I said, the hiss is embedded in the Mixamp signal. So after a certain decibel level, it will start hissing.

The E11 is too weak of an amp to gain much volume past what the Mixamp gives. Remember this: FWIR, a 2db boost in volume requires double the power. So unless the amp is 2x (actually, a bit more) as power as the Mixamp maxed out, you won't gain any volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back