Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #12,856 of 48,562
In other news, I think I might start branching out, and ATTEMPT to make some youtube videos. Maybe you guys can help spread the word once I actually get it off and running. Might lead to a future for me. :wink:

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #12,857 of 48,562
Has anyone ever tried to turn the K 702/701 headband upside down? I mean only the leather part. I am looking at it right now, but do not dare to rip it apart......
eek.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #12,858 of 48,562
Tried a few recommended gaming headphones from around the web (Overclock.net mainly) - JVC HARX900 (good sound, good ear pads, heavy, and eventually a little painful on the tips of my ears) and Ultrasone DJ1 Pro (comfortable, good sound, cheap ear pads though, eventually started hitting my new piercing)

looking for something that can allow me to game or listen to music for a couple hours.  Was considering the Creative Aurvana Live, even though they appear to be On-ear because I have ready they are still amazingly plush. looking for something preferably velour (but I understand is tough at this price range) or quality pleather for under $100, around the ear is best but it could be tough as I have pierced lobes and an industrial barbell.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #12,859 of 48,562
Rereading all the reviews again, I'd really love to pick up some Annies for gaming some day soon (sorry wallet), but I'd have a hard time rationalizing it. I feel like with the way I already have my Beyers amped and bass-damped (through my E17) the Annies are probably only a bit more comfortable. If only MLE would have had his E17 back when he tested the 770 Pros :frowning2:

I feel like I'd do better hanging onto the 770s for gaming and just picking up some HE-400s or HD650s for music/movies to have something with a very different presentation from the warmer sound on the Beyers. Neither of them seems overly light and sparkly but they should still give me something to contrast with the Beyers, not to mention they're open cans. I suppose I could also just stick with Beyerdynamic again and just try some 880s, more comfortable and more open for listening to music. I guess I'm not sure whether I should go for a completely different sounding headphone or just something nice all around that's a little less in your face than the 770s, and doesn't have to be fantastic for gaming (but preferably still above average). Any thoughts?

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #12,860 of 48,562
I'm looking at pricing of the Magni, its $99 US + tax/conversion + $33 shipping to Canada, if I had to estimate that would probably run close to 150ish after all was said and done

there is a respectable canadian site that sells the FiiO stuff, E09k/E17 combo for $249 + tax with free shipping, or E09k by itself for $119 + tax with free shipping

the prices probably come out to about the same in the end, so I guess i'll just do whichever one happens to turn out cheaper.

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm quite excited to be close to placing my order finally :)

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #12,861 of 48,562
Quote:
In other news, I think I might start branching out, and ATTEMPT to make some youtube videos. Maybe you guys can help spread the word once I actually get it off and running. Might lead to a future for me.
wink.gif

Sounds like a fun endeavor. I'd be behind you whole heartedly on it. Willing to help out any way I can with it as well.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #12,862 of 48,562
Quote:
There's a big price gap between some of those headphones... In any case, let's ignore that or their general sound signature for a second.

X1 might not pair the best with your STX's 10 ohm output impedance, they're like 32 ohm so damping factor would be low which might make bass too loose etc. The Denon's impedance is even lower so they'd face the same issue, plus I don't think as closed headphones they'd be on the same level for gaming as those other open headphones... Mind you, I haven't heard them, but from what I've read they were a disappointment compared to Denon's old and now-discontinued line (D2000/5000/7000).

So that leaves the DT990 & HE-400... The former don't have a removable cable sooo, addition by subtraction leaves you with the Hifimans? The Beyers are still some of the most durable and comfortable headphones out there tho, and they're significantly cheaper if you buy them at the right time (as much as 50% cheaper...). You could get both and decide for yourself whether the HE-400 are worth it to you, return whichever. Crutchfield sells the HE-400 and I think they have like a 60 day satisfaction guaranteed return period. Amazon's price for the Beyers seesaws like a rollercoaster, the Pro version's often cheaper tho, seen it go under $200.

btw What the heck do you do to your posts that makes them such a pain to edit for brevity when quoting? All this extra code/tags in them, you changing fonts or something?

Thanks for your help. I know nothing about impedance and damping factors or the likes. It's very frustrating as it seems the Q701 reviews better than anything else around the same price, thats why i started looking at slightly more expensive headphones but thats only added more confusion into the mix. Given that i have a STX and apparently that reduces my options some what. What are some alternitives to the HE-400 you and others might consider?

Sorry about the messy post XD

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #12,863 of 48,562
Quote:
Hah! I thought I was the only one here at Head-Fi who was rocking one of those bad boys... guess I was wrong!

Also, you can always mod the cable later to just about anything, I'm considering getting my Beyers a removable cable mod similar to http://www.head-fi.org/t/643648/beyer-dt770-pro-80-detachable-cable-mod#post_9013531

When i was 12 my pencil case in wood work was by far the worst in the class, I'd consider myself very dexterous but for whatever reason when it comes to anything that even slightly resembles crafts i stay clear. Mods are a total no go for me :frowning2:

Hell yeah dude i love my monitor! i know this isn't a monitor lover forums but seriously if anyone want to treat themselves to an absolutely amazing monitor you'll struggle to beat the yamakasi catleap !

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #12,864 of 48,562
Tried a few recommended gaming headphones from around the web (Overclock.net mainly) - JVC HARX900 (good sound, good ear pads, heavy, and eventually a little painful on the tips of my ears) and Ultrasone DJ1 Pro (comfortable, good sound, cheap ear pads though, eventually started hitting my new piercing)

looking for something that can allow me to game or listen to music for a couple hours.  Was considering the Creative Aurvana Live, even though they appear to be On-ear because I have ready they are still amazingly plush. looking for something preferably velour (but I understand is tough at this price range) or quality pleather for under $100, around the ear is best but it could be tough as I have pierced lobes and an industrial barbell.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

Used HD 558? The oval pads might be less of an issue with your piercings, there's the 518 too but I haven't heard them.

Rereading all the reviews again, I'd really love to pick up some Annies for gaming some day soon (sorry wallet), but I'd have a hard time rationalizing it. I feel like with the way I already have my Beyers amped and bass-damped (through my E17) the Annies are probably only a bit more comfortable. If only MLE would have had his E17 back when he tested the 770 Pros :frowning2:

I feel like I'd do better hanging onto the 770s for gaming and just picking up some HE-400s or HD650s for music/movies to have something with a very different presentation from the warmer sound on the Beyers. Neither of them seems overly light and sparkly but they should still give me something to contrast with the Beyers, not to mention they're open cans. I suppose I could also just stick with Beyerdynamic again and just try some 880s, more comfortable and more open for listening to music. I guess I'm not sure whether I should go for a completely different sounding headphone or just something nice all around that's a little less in your face than the 770s, and doesn't have to be fantastic for gaming (but preferably still above average). Any thoughts?

Personally I think the DT 880 are overlooked a lot as good all-arounders, specially by people considering the 990 but a little scared of it's treble... The 880 tame that down, they're still bright but much closer to neutral. As to your question, hard to say without knowing your preference in music... Going open for music and closed for gaming seems counter intuitive, I think you'd just end up preferring several of those over the 770 (for everything) unless you have a particular need for isolation at times (a very valid rationale for the 770) or you do enjoy some bass heavy music.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #12,865 of 48,562
namloc, the HE-400 are low impedance but they aren't affected much by the STX's output impedance because planar magnetics have a flat impedance curve... I think that or the 250 ohm Beyers (880/990) are fine choices, two different price points, just pick one. :p Not sure what else to suggest if gaming's a priority and you're ruling out AKG, maybe someone else has another alternative.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #12,866 of 48,562
Guys, what's the purpose of connecting E17 to E09K? Isn't E09K a good desktop amplifier on its own, why we should add up another portable amp over it? In terms of connectivity, yeah, E17's DAC function of connecting an optical is a good addition but what is worth of "USB In" in E09K then. Other than optical input in DAC I can't see real purpose of using E17 on top of E09K, please give me some insight guys.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #12,867 of 48,562
The E09 is an amp only. The E17 is a DAC and portable amp, when docked in the E09 it uses that as it's amp instead. The USB connection on the E09 is just to power the E17. You'd use the E17 if you don't have a decent DAC (laptop, desktop without sound card, etc) or if you wanna bypass a DAC (LOD from a portable player etc.). You'd have no use for it if you're hooking up the E09 to a Mixamp or some other source/DAC. The E17 as a DAC can be used thru USB or optical, the E09 as an amp needs either an analog source (RCA input) or one of Fiio's DAC to dock in thru the proprietary connection.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #12,868 of 48,562

Quote:
The E09 is an amp only. The E17 is a DAC and portable amp, when docked in the E09 it uses that as it's amp instead. The USB connection on the E09 is just to power the E17. You'd use the E17 if you don't have a decent DAC (laptop, desktop without sound card, etc) or if you wanna bypass a DAC (LOD from a portable player etc.). You'd have no use for it if you're hooking up the E09 to a Mixamp or some other source/DAC. The E17 as a DAC can be used thru USB or optical, the E09 as an amp needs either an analog source (RCA input) or one of Fiio's DAC to dock in thru the proprietary connection.

I see, gets clearer now. Well, my current ASUS motherboard has an optical out but perhaps I'll get ASUS Xonar soundcard one day. So, by now the main question for me would be - Isn't that better to use a soundcard via TOSLink / digital rather going via RCA / analog. Then why FiiO haven't gave us an option of digital inputs rather just staying with analogs in E09K, just to sell another device as E17 / E07K in addition?

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #12,869 of 48,562
It seems you still haven't quite grasped the difference between a DAC and an amp (no offense), once you've understood that then all these questions become kinda self evident... You always need a DAC (source) and an amp. A sound card or a Mixamp are effectively DACs (and also amps, of varying quality).

A DAC is a digital to analog converter, it transforms those digital bits from your PC/console/whatever into an analog electrical signal that your headphones can use. An amplifier boosts and enhances that analog signal (gross oversimplification but go with it). If Fiio were to put a digital input into the E09 (whether optical or coax) then they'd essentially be putting a DAC into the device to convert that digital signal into an analog one...

Thus it wouldn't be a $100 amp anymore, it'd be a $175+ DAC/amp; and such units exist, Audioengine D1, Leckerton UHA-6S MkII, HRT MicroStreamer, etc... Hell even the Mixamp is both a DAC and an amp, it's just a poor amp. At some point you're always gonna go from the digital domain to the analog one, and doing it all inside the same device (vs going from a DAC's analog line out to something like the E09's input) isn't inherently better...

A lot of people would argue discrete components are actually better (less interference from a high powered amp sharing a casing with a DAC etc) but those are all generalizations and ultimately it depends on your budget and needs. A sound card like the STX can be as good as any combination of separate components in the same price range for instance.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #12,870 of 48,562
Quote:
It seems you still haven't quite grasped the difference between a DAC and an amp (no offense), once you've understood that then all these questions become kinda self evident... You always need a DAC (source) and an amp. A sound card or a Mixamp are effectively DACs (and also amps, of varying quality).

A DAC is a digital to analog converter, it transforms those digital bits from your PC/console/whatever into an analog electrical signal that your headphones can use. An amplifier boosts and enhances that analog signal (gross oversimplification but go with it). If Fiio were to put a digital input into the E09 (whether optical or coax) then they'd essentially be putting a DAC into the device to convert that digital signal into an analog one...

Thus it wouldn't be a $100 amp anymore, it'd be a $175+ DAC/amp; and such units exist, Audioengine D1, Leckerton UHA-6S MkII, HRT MicroStreamer, etc... Hell even the Mixamp is both a DAC and an amp, it's just a poor amp. At some point you're always gonna go from the digital domain to the analog one, and doing it all inside the same device (vs going from a DAC's analog line out to something like the E09's input) isn't inherently better...

A lot of people would argue discrete components are actually better (less interference from a high powered amp sharing a casing with a DAC etc) but those are all generalizations and ultimately it depends on your budget and needs. A sound card like the STX can be as good as any combination of separate components in the same price range for instance.

Thanks for your time man, yeah well, now I got this. Somehow I missed the point of converting digital signal (say, xbox360) to analog so the headphones would understand it. Since I was using mediaplayers which were able to get headphones in without any DAC I wasn't sure what might be the problem of getting a separate DAC.

Well, even in terms of Mixamp I wasn't thinking about it as a DAC, rather 2.1 to 5.1 (7.1) "converter"

Speaking back about FiiO E17 + E09K, too bad that if I'll want to use them as whole the cable will be sticking out from E17 at the left top corner when personally I like my connections to be concealed, i.e. at the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back