Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 4, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #12,766 of 48,562
I posted some gaming impressions a few momths ago. I think they are good headphones for gaming, especially singleplayer. 

What about X1 gifts from Europe?

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #12,767 of 48,562
This is probably going to cause an uproar, but it is MY opinion:

MrSpeakers Mad Dog
A huge thanks to MattTCG for loaning these to me!

Sells for $299.99 (w/alpha pads and comfort strap) (MrSpeakers website)

I know these should be placed in Tier B due to it's price, but I feel that they fit more in Tier A, so please bear with me.

The MrSpeakers Mad Dog. A fully modified Fostex T50RP making a huge scene on Head-fi for it's sound quality, price, and comfort. The T50RP is a budget friendly, planar magnetic headphone well known for being extremely mod-friendly. The LFF Paradox and Smeggy Thunderpants are well known modded T50RPs that preceded the Mad Dog. However, the Mad Dog is the first to hit a price point that warranted the attention of the masses, and with good reason.

Build Quality: The Mad Dog isn't cosmetically modified like the Thunderpants, so it is basically a T50RP on the outside, with the exception of a pad swap, an optional comfort strap, and MrSpeakers vinyl stickers on the ear cups. The ear cups are made of some pretty durable plastic. Not the most aesthetically pleasing ear cups, and a bit unassuming, but it has a retro-ish charm to them.

The headband is made of a very pliable material that looks extremely durable. Lacks padding underneath, but the optional comfort strap more than makes up for it. Headband discomfort is the last thing you would ever think of when wearing the Mad Dog+comfort strap. It's that comfortable on the head.

The extension bars are made of a brass/copper metal, and is the strongest part of the headphone. It's of a very, very generous length, which should fit comfortably even on watermelon-sized noggins. I'm a huge fan of headphones that allow that much freedom in terms of head-size. More companies need to follow suit. I can't comment on the cable as I was sent a very short, aftermarket cable.

The Mad Dog comes with various pads. Each with their own distinct sound signature and comfort. The Mad Dog being reviewed here came with the Alpha pads, which are the newest, most linear, and most comfortable of the bunch. The Alpha pads are leather, angled, and very soft. While you all probably know how much I don't care for leather pads overall, I have to give credit where credit is due: these pads are VERY comfortable on the head, heat trapping issues aside.

Comfort: As mentioned, the Mad Dog w/alpha pads and comfort strap is a very, very comfortable headphone overall. It's lightweight, would fit on any head, isn't oversized (*cough*LCD2*cough*), and doesn't clamp tightly (clamp can be adjusted by bending the headband, which extremely easy to due).

Accessories: As these were a loaner, I'm not certain what the MD came with out of the box. Will update once I find out.

Isolation/Leakage: It's been awhile since I've heard a headphone that seals/isolates as well as the Mad Dog. It's incredibly silent in terms of leaking noise to the outside world, and it does a very good job of keeping external noise from coming in. Very, very good passive noise cancelling. If you need a headphone in the most noise polluted environments or need a headphone that won't ever bother others, the Mad Dog is a very, very safe bet.

Sound: On to the sound. I did my homework on the Mad Dogs on more than one occasion, to the point of being one click away from ordering them prior to receiving these loaners. Basically glowing reviews all around, stating that they came very close to sounding like a closed LCD2, even down to having an incredibly similar frequency response. And all for a fraction of a price. Who wouldn't be interested in trying these out after all that's been written out there? So did the Mad Dog live to the extreme hype out there? Yes and no. Do they sound like a closed LCD2? Sort of. They do share similarities, but LCD2s the Mad Dog certainly is NOT. The Mad Dog is a very balanced headphone, although being decidely on the dark side of neutral.

Bass: The Mad Dog has a very accurate, if a bit too linear bass response. It sounds very well balanced and textured, but not immediately engaging. In comparison to the LCD2 and K702 Anniversary, the bass felt a bit flat. The latter two would feel quite lively when called for. Something I didn't quite get off the Mad Dogs. It sounds correct, but lacking in emotion and presence, IMHO. Still, it's not weak or overemphasized. It's a good, balanced bass that doesn't ever get in the way of the amazing mids.

Mids: This is the biggest area of strength in the Mad Dog. The mids are positively PHENOMENAL. Quite rich, warm, organic, intimate, and demanding it's attention. Being a closed headphone, the sound is 'boxed in' compared to open headphones, putting the mids quite close to you in the virtual space. They never come off as shouty or fatiguing (which is a personal gripe I had with the Sennheiser HD598). Although I prefer the LCD2, HD650's mids as they are forward and surrounded by more air and a bigger sense of space, the Mad Dog's mids are simply amazing. Vocals come off so naturally.

Treble: The treble will be either love/hate for everyone. The Mad Dog is a bit dark, making the treble quite non-fatiguing, but not the clearest I've heard. Due to the closed nature of the Mad Dog, the treble is hampered by it's lack of air. I personally don't mind the treble presentation of the Mad Dog at all. I feel they have enough presence to be considered natural, but I can see it being a concern for those who prefer a bit more sparkle/clarity.

Soundstage: This is an area I can't seem to agree with quite a few people in on the main Mad Dog thread. Personally, I feel the Mad Dog lacks quite a bit in air, size, and especially depth. That's the nature of closed headphones. Very few exceptions (i.e. D7000, DT770 Pro 80), and the Mad Dog is not one of them. It sounds decidedly closed and congested in comparison to the more recent open headphones I've compared them to, including the LCD2 which isn't exactly the most open sounding headphone itself.

Positioning: I'm not going to lie when I say that as enthusiastic as I was about the Mad Dog, none of that enthusiasm was for it's potential to be good for gaming. Prior to hearing the Mad Dog, I expected it to not be amazing for gaming. I expected something like the M50 in that it would make a much better headphone for music and stereo gaming than virtual surround/Dolby Headphone gaming. I feel that I hit the nail on the head. The Mad Dog doesn't project a good sense of air, and lacks depth and width, hurting the positional cues enough to consider them inferior to gaming headsets like the Astro A40 in this regard. It comes off a bit two dimensional in comparison to even the LCD2.

Clarity: The clarity for gaming is actually quite excellent. The Mad Dog benefits great from it's incredibly linear frequency response. Bass and mids are well in tune with one another. Bass never creeps up and masks details, so all manner of sounds are heard quite easily. Clarity is a strength for the Mad Dogs, despite it's darker than neutral tonality. It shares this with both the LCD2 and HD650: Dark, but still plenty clear.

Amping: Although I no longer have the Mixamp to truly test whether the Mad Dog needs additional amping for gaming purposes, I believe it does, as it requires more off my Marantz receiver and Compass 2 than my LCD2.

Value: At $300, Although I'm not a big fan of the Mad Dog for gaming, they are truly a great pair of music headphones, and possibly for stereo gaming.

Final Impressions: I have a love/hate relationship with the Mad Dog, which causes an internal conflict in me. On one hand, the Mad Dog is easily the best closed headphone I have heard outside of the D7000, but on the other hand, it's decent at best for virtual surround gaming. If it's for gaming, I'm afraid I can't give them my personal recommendation. However, if music and/or passive noise cancellation is a priority, the Mad Dog is truly exceptional and worth looking into. Just remember, it's a well balanced, dark/neutral-ish headphone, so bassheads need not apply.

I know this will be asked often, so let me nip this in the bud: How does the Mad Dog compare to the LCD2, HE-400, HE-4, HD650, and K702 Annie?

Vs. HE-4: The HE-4 is technically the best headphone I've reviewed outside of the D7000 and LCD2 in terms of refinement and technical superiority. It's slightly v-shaped, similar to a DT880 in planar magnetic form. More open, clearer, and more detailed. However, it's the hardest headphone to drive, and the majority of people will no doubt hook the HE-4 up to amps that can't power them anywhere near to their potential. HE-4 > Mad Dog

Vs. K702 Anniversary: The Annie is more open, with a much bigger sense of space, clearly superior soundstage and positional cues, clarity, and bass. The K702 Annie is the only headphone I have reviewed that I honestly can't find one flaw in whatsoever. Not the best at any one thing, but great at basically everything. For $100 more than the Mad Dog, if you do not have a need for a closed headphone, I'd GREATLY recommend saving up for the Annie instead. K702 Annie > Mad Dog

Vs. HE-400: The HE-400 is clearer, more engaging, and livelier than the Mad Dog. I must say I slightly prefer the tonality of the Mad Dogs, but overall, the HE-400 is a better headphone. The HE-400 has an issue with the treble being a bit bright, which may put off some people. HE-400 > Mad Dog

Vs. HD650: The HD650 to me is the closest thing to the Mad Dog out of anything I've heard. However, it is still more open sounding, which I personally find more beneficial. The HD650 is more neutral sounding than the Mad Dog as well, though I feel the HD650 is slower and more relaxing in the upper range. HD650 > Mad Dog

Vs. LCD2: The LCD2 and Mad Dogs do share similarities in tonality, but the LCD2 is quite a bit more dimensional, clearer, and spacious. Perhaps a poor man's closed LCD2, but not quite. LCD2 > Mad Dog

So yes, out of all the planar magnetics, and dynamics I could compare them to in terms of similar characteristic/tonality, I feel the Mad Dog loses against each. To me, at near the Mad Dog's price range, there is only one choice I'd recommend to anyone looking for a well balanced headphone that doesn't need a closed headphone. The K702 Anniversary. Absolutely no question there.

Final Scores...

Fun: 6.75 (Very decent. The balanced sound is quite refined, but there is no real sense of immersion compared to other headphones reviewed. Bass presence could stand to be a bit stronger, and the lack of air/soundstage doesn't allow to get a great sense of immersion, personally.)

Competitive: 6.75 (Very decent. Clear and balanced sound, though with a lack of soundstage size and mainly depth, hampering positional cues in comparison to most mid/high level headphones.)

Comfort: 8.5/10 (Great. The Mad Dog is the most comfortable leather padded closed headphone I've heard outside of the post-stretched M50s. If leather isn't an issue for you, the Mad Dog should have almost no discomfort.)

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #12,768 of 48,562
Hi, im looking into buying some headphones for gaming. 
Been reading your whole guide but I can't decide yet.

I've been looking at the AKG K701/Q701, falling more onto the Q701. Though as stated a few post over me, they have a problem with bass rattle. Which made me even more unsure.

I am looking for a allround headset, but most focus on positioning. Using it mainly for gaming, but also for music and video.
As I am a teamplayer I would prefer a built in mic(less fuzz)but without is also okay. Im running on a budget around 350-400$
Of course they will be worn for extended periods, so comfort is a must!

I am really new to this, but I have heard the words DAC and amplifier, I know what an amp is but do i need both? Would I better of buying a portable amp then a Asus Xonar essence STX e.g.?

I hope someone can recommend me something and maybe teach me a thing or two on the way, I can tell that there is a lot of people with loads of knowledge here. Hope you guys want to share some with me.

Apr 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #12,769 of 48,562
I am so tempted to switch out the headband on my Q701s. Looking at the mod guide, however, I'm afraid I might break something.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #12,770 of 48,562
~Sizing Recommendations~ for a large melon

Short and sweet, I have a big head(7 5/8) and want a good quality, very COMFORTABLE headset/headphones (75% gaming/25% music). I will be gaming on Xbox360, and playing mainly fps shooters, so I've basically narrowed it down to these:

Sennheiser pc360
Sennheiser hd598
Astro A40
Akg q701

fyi, I've tested these ...

AD700--hated the gigantic fit, even for my big arse melon
BD dt990 pro-- too tight, way to much clamp, but loved the sound. Not sure if the premiums fit loser?
2013 Astro A40--very comfy, but had to extend them to the max, which wasn't an issue, just an observation. I'm just worried about the horror stories of read about the 2013's

If anyone has any personal experience with any of the headphones mentioned above, please let me know what you thought of the fit. Please feel free to mention any other headphones that I might have missed, if you think they'd be good for my needs.

thanks very much in advance

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #12,771 of 48,562
Quote:

Short and sweet, I have a big head(7 5/8) and want a good quality, very COMFORTABLE headset/headphones (75% gaming/25% music). I will be gaming on Xbox360, and playing mainly fps shooters, so I've basically narrowed it down to these:

Sennheiser pc360
Sennheiser hd598
Astro A40
Akg q701

BD dt990 pro-- too tight, way to much clamp, but loved the sound. Not sure if the premiums fit loser?
2013 Astro A40--very comfy, but had to extend them to the max, which wasn't an issue, just an observation. I'm just worried about the horror stories of read about the 2013's

If anyone has any personal experience with any of the headphones mentioned above, please let me know what you thought of the fit. Please feel free to mention any other headphones that I might have missed, if you think they'd be good for my needs.

The Sennheisers are comfy, but do have firm clamp which you can loosen up over time.  I think the Q701 ultimately has less clamp though and definitely has roomier cups.  Not sure which has more headband extension.   If you go Q701 I recommend padding up top.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #12,772 of 48,562
Quote:

Really seems to be a prevalent problem with all the AKG's. Returned my Annies to Amazon for the same reason. Was it in just one of the earcups?

Two people is prevalent? Ok, maybe you dig in the appreciation thread or google for it, but how many people have problems? Prevalent in my mind is like the 1:3 RRoD issue with launch model Xbox 360's. Most people I've read about owning these AKG flagships love them, or think they prefer a different sound signature, but rattle is new to me.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #12,773 of 48,562
MLE, the Mad Dogs come w/two cables btw, the V-moda one (6'-ish, 3.5mm) and the stock Fostex one which is longer and locks into place (it's like 9-10", and terminated at 1/4" IIRC), they also come w/a carrying pouch (recent addition); just figured I'd mentioned it since you wondered about it in the review. I think Dan's been offering the option of blacked out stickers too, if you want that stealth look, tho he switched to stickers w/a simple raised white font and no logo for the stock one.

Nice review btw, I'm looking forward to trying 'em out myself; were you able to address the issues you had w/getting a proper seal? I really do need a pair of decently isolating headphones for the living room, my RX700 have served me well for watching TV but it's time for an upgrade. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #12,774 of 48,562

Sennheiser pc360
Sennheiser hd598
Astro A40
Akg q701

Full disclosure: I have a big head, too ( 7 5/8).  I currently own a set of DT 990 Premium cans and the clamp is just strong enough to keep them in place.  I don't even need to have the arms extended all way to get a comfortable fit and that makes me happy.  The consensus is that the Pro variant from the Beyer line has a decidedly tighter clamp - and this lends itself to the perception of a better low-end response.  The Premium 990s are incredibly comfortable and I would definitely recommend them to anyone that appreciates the high and low end, as well as a fantastic soundstage - they're just great gaming cans.

Quote:
Two people is prevalent? Ok, maybe you dig in the appreciation thread or google for it, but how many people have problems? Prevalent in my mind is like the 1:3 RRoD issue with launch model Xbox 360's. Most people I've read about owning these AKG flagships love them, or think they prefer a different sound signature, but rattle is new to me.

Several people are reporting the problem, including chicolom, over on the AKG Annie Official Topic in the Headphone Forum.  (For a brief example, see: http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition/2160#post_9326085)  I don't think the rattling manifests itself on every track.  Theoretically, many users could "have" the problem, but have not yet encountered the rattling.  I will definitely put my incoming pair through the paces as soon as they get in.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #12,775 of 48,562
Quote:
Hi, im looking into buying some headphones for gaming. Been reading your whole guide but I can't decide yet.

I am really new to this, but I have heard the words DAC and amplifier, I know what an amp is but do i need both? Would I better of buying a portable amp then a Asus Xonar essence STX e.g.?

If you're gonna be gaming on your PC you should read Nameless' PC gaming thread (and/or Evshrug's guide linked in his sig) and/or decide whether you want a sound card for surround processing/virtualization, e.g. CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone... Either scheme will basically take a game's 5.1 signal and mold it in a way that sounds natural and enveloping for a headphone. Most external USB DAC can't do this at all, sound cards are just internal DAC, some have discrete amps and some don't.

The STX has a very decent amp already so it's a pretty solid value for an all-in solution (specially if you find it for closer to $150 than $200), though it generally plays better w/higher impedance headphones due to it's 10 ohm output impedance. Something like a Titanium HD or Xonar DGX + a Fiio E09K or Schiit Magni would be the alternative, ends up costing about the same either way. For most of the headphones in the price range you're looking at you'll surely want a decent amp to get the best out of them.

You can look thru the last few dozen pages of the thread if ya want as those very options were recently discussed, tho this thread is aimed more at console gamers... If you don't care for surround processing then you can pick any USB DAC/amp combo out there, I'd still get something better for a source than on-board mobo audio either way. Is your total budget for headphones + source/amp or what?

Quote:

The Premiums fit looser out of the box but the Pros can be adjusted for the same fit (and vice versa), the headband is pretty darn tough. Personally I find 'em to be some of the most comfortable and best built headphones out there, even tho I'm generally not too picky comfort-wise.

Pads are smaller than the Q701's but still large enough, and the headband is much comfier (although the Q707's isn't hard to fix w/some extra padding). Those Sennheisers clamp a lil harder and there's not as much adjustment range in that regard (there's only so much you can bend out hard plastic) but they're still pretty comfortable and the oval pads have their advantages.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #12,776 of 48,562
Hey guys, I've read numerous threads and posts and came to this:

I need closed type headphones to listen mostly at night when my wife sleeps, since we have TV in the same room, I can't go with open-type headphones and I need least leaky ones.
I like gaming on my xbox360, don't care about voice-chatting, music - mostly electronic, sometimes bassy rap, I'm not really in to classic music these days.

So, so far DT-770 80 Ohm are the best option I should be going with but there is local market problem and everyone has left with 250 Ohm version which I don't want to mess my fun.
Even thou I want to buy a portable amp like FiiO E11 or even E12, just for gaming and music needs. But AFAIK 250 Ohm version is amp hungry, needs adjustments etc. - I don't need that.

Btw, how about 32 Ohm LE? Still not available but I'm thinking of ordering either 80 Ohm or 32 Ohm version.

I would be glad if someone will recommend me any decent closed-back's which go on par with DT-770's. Thanks! 

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #12,777 of 48,562
32 Ohm LE is the best DT770 to me. Best highs and mids. The former especially due to less sibilance than most Beyers actually. 

Read up the Headfonia review. Though I don't agree with some of their reviews (I believe they stopped praising certain headphones up and down) they did well in this one.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #12,778 of 48,562
Wow, thanks for an awesome reply there. Learned abit.

I was thinking about 200-300$ on amp and the other budget for only the headphones.

I will look into thoose threads when i get home from work.

Edit: if i buy gjerne titanium HD, then i need a amp too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back