Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #12,751 of 48,562
I second Modular, check Catalyst Control Center and fiddle around with the settings. I've never used a video input on a laptop so I don't have any direct knowledge for you. Look for scaling options thats probably the best way to fix the black bar around the image. Also, look for a tab called my LCD/ My digital Panel somethingorother and that might give you the options you need.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #12,752 of 48,562
It's not that. There are no options for the HDMI input, as it's separated from the computer/windows. Basically, it's it's own thing, with no options for it, whatsoever.

Anyways, I reformatted, wiped clean, and the HDMI STILL has that problem. So it's definitely the HDMI input/video board, etc.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #12,753 of 48,562
Sounds like a call to customer support is in order, you may have gotten a lemon. It certainly doesn't seem like its functioning as intended. Have you tried different resolutions on you PS3? I know its supposed to support 1080p but if a different resolution is working properly that would  be another indication that something is wrong with you laptop.

edit: redundancy

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #12,754 of 48,562
I got the RMA so off it goes. I love the laptop, so hopefully the next one will work properly.

Played the Mass Effect 2 demo on max and was...wow. DEM GRAPHIX at over 60fps.

Apr 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #12,755 of 48,562
Welp, up and sent the Annies back for a refund. Rattling just kept on coming back and I'd had enough of it lol.

Now that I have some more money saved up and the good ole' tax refund coming in, I was thinking of waiting a bit and getting a flagship instead of another pair of Annies...

HD800's are looking real good right now, heh... that's why I was asking how they were for gaming.

The supposedly "huge" soundstage on them would be pretty good for that purpose, no?

Are they good "all arounders" for music, movies, games, etc?

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #12,756 of 48,562
Quote:
I got the RMA so off it goes. I love the laptop, so hopefully the next one will work properly.

How is it supposed to work?
Are you supposed to have control over how it scales the image?  I thought that was the whole point of having a laptop with a video input - otherwise you just plug in a source and hope it looks correct. 
confused.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #12,757 of 48,562
Well, assuming what you're using isn't utter garbage, all things should be scaled properly, like any TV that scales everythiing to 1920x1080. Pretty barebones, but HDMI sources would all be specific resolutions anyways, and all are probably already set to scale to the monitor's entire length. I'll test it out once I get my hopefully working pair. Underscan and overscan is usually for analog signals like composite/component, IIRC.

Irony here is that the HDMI OUT is underscanned by default, so I had to go to the options and set it to 0% to match the width/height of my TV. Also, by default, the HDMi input has no audio. You have to manually set the audio drivers to 'listen to' the HDMI. :rolleyes:

It's all backwards. ..

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #12,758 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, assuming what you're using isn't utter garbage, all things should be scaled properly, like any TV that scales everythiing to 1920x1080. Pretty barebones, but HDMI sources would all be specific resolutions anyways, and all are probably already set to scale to the monitor's entire length. I'll test it out once I get my hopefully working pair.

Have other people got the PS3 working at 1080p filling the entire screen with the same laptop?

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #12,759 of 48,562
I've seen youtube vids with the screen working properly. Remember, its not just the ps3 I tested. Tested my desktop as well as my friend's macbook. They all have that screen defect.

Doesn't matter now. It's being sent back.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #12,760 of 48,562
I'm in the process of returning my Q701s to amazon. My 1st and 2nd pair had a annoying bass rattle so i'm ditching them all together and getting something else.

I'd want my headphones to have... 

Detachable Cable
Comfy to wear all day
Decent bass
Good audio positioning for fps games...

What should i be looking at for say $400 USD or less

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #12,761 of 48,562
You might want to check on the Philips Fidelio X1. There is a review on Inner Fidelity that points out the comfort and their basshead qualities. Had them on my head in a big store, very nice and comfy. You could also check the Beyerdynamic Custome One.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #12,762 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm in the process of returning my Q701s to amazon. My 1st and 2nd pair had a annoying bass rattle so i'm ditching them all together and getting something else.

I'd want my headphones to have... 

Detachable Cable
Comfy to wear all day
Decent bass
Good audio positioning for fps games...

What should i be looking at for say $400 USD or less

Really seems to be a prevalent problem with all the AKG's. Returned my Annies to Amazon for the same reason. Was it in just one of the earcups?

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #12,763 of 48,562
Quote:

Really seems to be a prevalent problem with all the AKG's. Returned my Annies to Amazon for the same reason. Was it in just one of the earcups?

I've seen this complaint surface more and more (on this thread and in the Anniversary OT).  Kind of worried now that I find out about this problem two days AFTER ordering the Annies...

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #12,764 of 48,562
This could also be a forwarding or packaging issue.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #12,765 of 48,562
You might want to check on the Philips Fidelio X1. There is a review on Inner Fidelity that points out the comfort and their basshead qualities. Had them on my head in a big store, very nice and comfy. You could also check the Beyerdynamic Custome One.

Just not if you're in the US since the Amazon listing still has them as shipping in 1 to 2 months, grrr... I really wanna check them out myself but it's taking ridiculously long for them to arrive stateside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back