Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #12,601 of 48,565
Quote:
Hello all!

This isn't really an audio question but I'm wondering if anybody here (probably Nameless) can help me out.  The other day I bought a GDM-FW900. A few weeks ago I remember Nameless mentioning that there was no real benefit to buying the HDFury for console gaming since the PS3 can't do more than 60FPS (at any refresh rate) period.

The thing is that I still need some sort of way to connect my PS3 (and Wii U in the future) to my monitor. I'm wondering if I should go with the a regular HDMI to VGA converter or is an HDFury really really necessary? And if so, which one would you recommend? There is also the gammaX that is supposed to correct black levels but I don't think that is necessary with this monitor being a CRT and everything. Anyway, what would you recommend?

Hmm what a nifty product, 

I honestly have no idea what to tell you either, but what you can do [and what I really want to do my self] is get a HDMI Spilter, that spilts the Audio from the video, that way I can run the audio line out from my wii U straigh into my amp, as opposed to allowing the audio to go through the Game Pad then into my amp as stock sound is pretty bad.

And I think the nrml HDMI to VGA converters r like $100 or something, which is the price of HD fury ti seems

either way I wish u luck! 

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #12,602 of 48,565
Got Matt's Mad Dogs (with Alpha Pads) as a loaner.

First impressions: Holy crap, they are stupid comfy. Seriously, that comfort is like 9/10. The pads feel amazing. The comfort strap is VERY welcome.

Getting a good seal for me isn't easy with my ears and these pads. I would prefer stronger clamp, as just barely pressing the cups to my ears gives me a good seal and sound improves quite a bit. As it stands, it feels a little loose, and voices sound slightly sibilant, and bass isn't strong. So without holding the cups, I feel I lost a little SQ. It's like two different headphones depending on clamp.

I could definitely tell these are quite stellar, assuming you can get a really tight seal and good enough clamp.

The sound signature definitely sounds like a less refined, closed LCD2. Assuming you get a GREAT seal, this is a pretty solid, cheaper alternative. Still, you can hear the refinement/improvement when jumping from the MD to the LCD2. No question. A cleaner, smoother sound, with quite a bit more air and dimensionality. Voices are more natural than the MD too. Mid forwardness is similar, so I must say, LOVE the tonal balance on the Mad Dogs.

Not a fan of the alpha pads due to the lack of 'give' they have. I would have loved for them to mold on the face, so the seal would improve more, ah well. I wonder how the dog pads are in comparison? I really do want a fair bit more clamp. I have to ask Matt if he bent them for less clamp.

Don't get me wrong. Assuming I get a tighter clamp, these are easily the best closed headphones I have ever heard outside of the D7000. They are a STEAL at $300. No doubt about it. I wouldn't QUESTION owning these if I needed a closed headphone, if it gave me the sound that they give me when I just barely hold them to my ears.

And yes, I would actually choose these over the HE-400, again, if the clamp was stronger, and I could manage to get it to sound like when I press the cups to my ears just a little. Why? Because it does sound like a baby/closed LCD2. Not quite there, but for $300, you can't expect it to be.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #12,603 of 48,565
. I didn't do much research and did not know of this website, yet. As for the DSS 1, I have been on the fence for a while on whether to purchase it or not. Is it similar to the astro mixamp when it comes to DH? Would it really be an upgrade from the Recon3D? I know you haven't tried it... but maybe MLE can give me some advice on this?

Yes, they use the same Dolby Headphone processing, so virtual surround is exactly the same.

If you can spring for it, it will be a noticeable improvement over the the Recon. They are similar, but the DSS/Mixamp's DH will sound more round, with better rear positional cues and sense of rear depth.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #12,604 of 48,565
Quote:
Got Matt's Mad Dogs (with Alpha Pads) as a loaner.

First impressions: Holy crap, they are stupid comfy. Seriously, that comfort is like 9/10. The pads feel amazing.

Getting a good seal for me isn't easy with my ears and these pads. I would prefer stronger clamp, as just barely pressing the cups to my ears gives me a good seal and sound improves quite a bit. As it stands, it feels a little loose, and voices sound slightly sibilant, and bass isn't strong. So without holding the cups, I don't like the sound almost at all. It's like two different headphones depending on clamp.

Not sure I like them as is. I could definitely tell these are quite stellar, assuming you can get a really tight seal and good enough clamp.

The sound signature definitely sounds like a less refined, closed LCD2. Assuming you get a GREAT seal, this is a pretty solid, cheaper alternative. Still, you can hear the refinement/improvement when jumping from the MD to the LCD2. No question. A cleaner, smoother sound, with quite a bit more air and dimensionality. Voices are more natural than the MD too. Mid forwardness is similar, so I LOVE the tonal balance on the Mad Dogs.

Not a fan of the alpha pads due to the lack of 'give' they have. I would have loved for them to mold on the face, so the seal would improve more, ah well. I wonder how the dog pads are in comparison? I really do want a fair bit more clamp.

I don't wanna review these for gaming as they are. I have to ask Matt if he bent them for less clamp, which to me, made it lose just a little bit of SQ.

Don't get me wrong. Assuming I get a tighter clamp, these are easily the best closed headphones I have ever heard outside of the D7000. They are a STEAL at $300. No doubt about it.

And yes, I would actually choose these over the HE-400, again, if the clamp was stronger, and I could manage to get it to sound like when I press the cups to my ears just a little.

see I had the mad dogs, and the clamp and seal for me where fine, and HOLY CRAP they ISOLATED like CRAZY :D and the where super comfy BUT they did not sound nearly as nice as my current ath w1000x [L3000 Padded] do, and yea I use a solid state with my w1000x [something I did not have with the Mad Dogs] Non the less I wasn't a fan of how overly forward the mids where on my Thinnest tube! Still wishing I had my solid state when I had those] but on the plus side, the new pads and another BENDING of the head band has made the w1000x evem better! 

And while I'm still not sure if I like my dt 880s or my w1000x more, as they have both turned out to be really awesome cans! and sadly the Matrix M Stage v2 [Upgraded psu +L4990 opamp] sounds really nice. I do prefer it over my cheap tube, although the dt 880s still like my Thick Mullard Tube amp so I'll have to get a real tube eventually as these hybrid rn't comparing towell [although the Indeed G3 is still king of BASS HEAD music lol] 

that being said giving the thick tube a listen with the w1000x again, and yea the mids are suddutive, but it lacks the refine ment and clarity of the solid state. [which means I need a better tube <3] plus even with the low gain setting on the thick tube, it's still to much gain... very noisy. I like teh refinement of the solid state with these

The same with the dt 880s I enjoy the refine ment of the solid state over the extra warmth of the Tube

in addition while rock is nice with the 880 it's just not as enjoyable, ofc the thick tube solves many of the issues these cans have with rock, still w1000x wins for rock again and again! Yea the bass is more rich on the w100x and those mids, just come out an touch me! Bass is to tight for rock on the 880s, and as a bass player I can say that! The instrument by nature is a little on the loose side, add some flatwound strings and your JAMMIN man, if your going with a pucnhier bass then you want round wounds, which are have brighter upper bass and lower mids. So the dt 880 isn't laid back enough with bass for bass guitars to sound nice, on teh other end. A Double Bass [the classical wooden one that's bigger than I am] sounds AMAZING on the dt 880 as it's a MUCH tighter instrument imo!

Non the less, I didn't like the mad dogs. Tube amps made them sound pretty horrific! [And a thin tube at that] might try again with my solid state but for the same price I got a can that I like a little more! 

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #12,605 of 48,565
Nothing horrific here, just a bit polite and slightly sibilant, if I don't slightly press them to my ears, despite it's dark tone. When I push them towards my ears just a smidge, the sound is very rich, and intimate. Love it.

If you're into soundstage, closed headphones are naturally gonna fail in that regard, aside from some exceptions like Denons. The MD is no different. It sounds closed compared to the LCD2, which is open, yet sounds slightly closed itself (the leather version).

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #12,606 of 48,565
Quote:
Yes, they use the same Dolby Headphone processing, so virtual surround is exactly the same.

If you can spring for it, it will be a noticeable improvement over the the Recon. They are similar, but the DSS/Mixamp's DH will sound more round, with better rear positional cues and sense of rear depth.

Ok, sweet! I have a couple questions, though. Does it connect to the PS3 similar to the Recon? Meaning does it connect via optical cable for sound and via usb for microphone. Also, where do you connect the mic on the DSS? All I see is a headphone out... no mic in.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #12,607 of 48,565
The DSS only has mic capablities for turtle beach headsets. If you need chat, get a Mixamp. I'm selling mine, BTW.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #12,608 of 48,565
Quote:
The DSS only has mic capablities for turtle beach headsets. If you need chat, get a Mixamp. I'm selling mine, BTW.

Yes, I need chat. I see that you are selling your mixamp. I might just jump on it when I have the spare cash. I am going to see if I can return my Recon to Amazon for a partial refund... since its been over 30 days. I will certainly let you know what I decide.

I have another question. Would the Tritton be suitable? I see on your review it also has DH. How does it compare to the DSS an mixamp? Thank you so much for your insight.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #12,609 of 48,565
The Tritton also has the same surround. It just has a layer of hiss compared to my model Mixamp and the DSS (as stated by Chocolom). My Mixamp is the least hissy of all the Mixamps. The AX720's amp will be a bit hissy. The NEW Mixamps are quite hissy as well, though not AX720 level of hiss.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #12,610 of 48,565
Quote:
The Tritton also has the same surround. It just has a layer of hiss compared to my model Mixamp and the DSS (as stated by Chocolom). My Mixamp is the least hissy of all the Mixamps. The AX720's amp will be a bit hissy. The NEW Mixamps are quite hissy as well, though not AX720 level of hiss.

Ok. I am most likely going to jump on your deal. I will PM you once I inquire about returning my Recon. Thank you, again.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #12,611 of 48,565
Quote:
Hmm what a nifty product, 

I honestly have no idea what to tell you either, but what you can do [and what I really want to do my self] is get a HDMI Spilter, that spilts the Audio from the video, that way I can run the audio line out from my wii U straigh into my amp, as opposed to allowing the audio to go through the Game Pad then into my amp as stock sound is pretty bad.

And I think the nrml HDMI to VGA converters r like $100 or something, which is the price of HD fury ti seems

either way I wish u luck! 

That is true, I forgot that the Wii U can only output sound from one source (thank you Nintendo). If I'm going to use a monitor, I'll have to use a splitter no matter what.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #12,612 of 48,565
Just procured a Harman Kardon AVR 254 if someone wants to get it. I can add a squaretrade warranty to it, but not for much longer. The 30 day window is coming up. Message me if you want it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #12,614 of 48,565
Quote:
Nothing horrific here, just a bit polite and slightly sibilant, if I don't slightly press them to my ears, despite it's dark tone. When I push them towards my ears just a smidge, the sound is very rich, and intimate. Love it.

If you're into soundstage, closed headphones are naturally gonna fail in that regard, aside from some exceptions like Denons. The MD is no different. It sounds closed compared to the LCD2, which is open, yet sounds slightly closed itself (the leather version).

I just didn't like them out of my tubes, they where overally intimate imo, and the treble was pretty meh. Yea dark is the word, to dark for me

in addition listening to Adele. I hear people judge mids by her voice, and personally I think she sings in a very upper mid, although Someone LIke you, she seems to be speaking more singing less, and WOW nice mids. Good rich quality to her voice! [This is with my w1000x btw] 

also OMG the 40 band spectra Bar Graph <3  me GUSTA, but yea Adele belts some powerful upper mids and finish with nice warm lower mids. So I totally get what people are talking about, not disappointing at all. She's no Linda Perhacs though <3 so for now Linda's voice will be my sexy mid Standard! 

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #12,615 of 48,565
Hmm.. I prefer the ATH-A900X over my JH13s and Anthony Gallo Strada + SVS SB12-Plus for gaming. Obviously either my IEMs or my speakers win out big-time for music.

The closed-back design works very well to block police sirens and fire trucks, and I seem to get very clear positional cues in BF3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back