Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 26, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #12,586 of 48,566
Dead sure. I keep my Recon3D plugged into my computer through USB and the Xbox at the same time through optical, remember? Though I have since fixed the motherboard audio issue I was having, for a while the Recon3D USB was the only way I had audio on my PC for a while. Good morning, by the way.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #12,587 of 48,566
Quote:
Good morning, by the way.

What are you doing up this late/early?

GO BACK TO BED!!

ph34r.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #12,588 of 48,566
Oh, duh. The Xonar U3 does DH through USB. I forgot. :rolleyes:

Still, an audiophile DAC is undoubtedly either only gonna take 2 channel PCM, or throw out Dolby Digital in favor of PCM. So there is no keeping Dolby Digital through the chain until it gets to his Mixamp.

I work overnights, so this time in the morning is like the afternoon for me even on my days off.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #12,589 of 48,566
What are you doing up this late/early?

GO BACK TO BED!!

:ph34r:

I often have to get up at 6 for work, and I've found myself unable to sleep in on days off, like today. Why you up?

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #12,592 of 48,566
The Recon3D receives surround from computer audio through USB.
BUT, I get your main point, the processor must receive more than 2 channels of audio, and USB dongles or external DACs usually strip out the Dolby Digital Live (DDL) from the signal. I don't know if the U3 has SPDIF-out, especially one that would include DH processing, would be cool if it did but I'm not holding my breath at the cost of an U3. It's also kind of weird that essentially boredandlazy would be double-DACing.

I'm pretty sick right now so I probably got lost halfway thru the discussion, but if he's passing a signal thru SPIDF he's not doing any double DAC'ing (there's only one digital to analog conversion, at the end point)... One device's just working as a processor, like any AVR would when fed thru HDMI (and before speaker output), or like a sound card doing DH then feeding PCM to an AVR...

That being said, I do agree with everything else... Just get an amp, or use the U3 for gaming exclusively, KISS.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #12,593 of 48,566
Hello, everyone. I have been researching through these forums for the last few months. I created a profile so I can personally thank Mad Lust Envy, chicolom, and Evshrug. After purchasing and returning many setups, I finally found my match... thanks to you. I am new to all of this... so my ears feel like I'm in heaven whenever I game or watch movies. I ended up with this setup...
PS3 > Recon3D > Matrix M-Stage (2012 version) > Q701s (with annie pads). I am now damn near broke... but still... thank you, again!
dt880smile.png

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #12,594 of 48,566
Can't sleep... Almost won a good deal on eBay of a graphics card for my computer, but lost by $10 in the last 5 minutes!

I'm pretty sick right now so I probably got lost halfway thru the discussion, but if he's passing a signal thru SPIDF he's not doing any double DAC'ing (there's only one digital to analog conversion, at the end point)... One device's just working as a processor, like any AVR would when fed thru HDMI (and before speaker output), or like a sound card doing DH then feeding PCM to an AVR...

That being said, I do agree with everything else... Just get an amp, or use the U3 for gaming exclusively, KISS.

Aww, you're sick? Seems a lot of people I know get sick near the change of seasons, maybe the positive side is spring is coming to your area real soon. April showers and all that. Still, I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather, get well soon!

And yeah, processing isn't the same as a digital-to-analogue conversion. I made an error, eep! But it's moot anyway, even without looking I'm almost certain the only output on the Xonar U3 is just an analogue headphone jack (and a mic input), using it with the E17 would only make use of the E17's amp feature (and EQ processing) I think. Now, maaaaybe he wants the E17 to use as a DAC when he's not playing games and just listening to music, but unless he is a diehard music fan he would be spending basically half of the cost of the device on a feature he would rarely use (since the E11 is specified so similar to the E17's amp section, but costs half as much). Like you said, just K.eep I.t S.imple S.tupid, he should just stick with the U3 as a DAC and surround processor for PC, and buy an upgraded Amp if needed.

If I had finished my engineering degree, I would've liked to create a kickstarter campaign for a custom gaming sound processor, DAC, amp all-in-one, with all the features like HDMI ports that we would like to see. It would probably cost more than a Mixamp, but it would be an elegant, complete system. I saw a nifty 3D mouse on kickstarter.com that you wear on your finger, it allows you to mouse without removing your hand from the keyboard and also translates distance movements (cuz it's a 3D mouse).

Hello, everyone. I have been researching through these forums for the last few months. I created a profile so I can personally thank Mad Lust Envy, chicolom, and Evshrug. After purchasing and returning many setups, I finally found my match... thanks to you. I am new to all of this... so my ears feel like I'm in heaven whenever I game or watch movies. I ended up with this setup...
PS3 > Recon3D > Matrix M-Stage (2012 version) > Q701s (with annie pads). I am now damn near broke... but still... thank you, again! :dt880smile:

Lol, sweet, your setup is like an amalgamation of our favorite gear. I've never heard the M-Stage (debated getting one for a while), but Chicolom raves about it and I bet it's awesome :) I don't know if you read my Recon3D review, but I have a link in there that points back to a post in this thread where I chronicled my testing and impressions of what each settings adjustment does, and how to save your settings to the device so your changes carry over to using it with your PS3. Then again, you're happy now, so maybe you've already got settings that are best for you :wink:

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #12,595 of 48,566
Quote:
PS3 > Recon3D > Matrix M-Stage (2012 version) > Q701s (with annie pads). I am now damn near broke... but still... thank you, again!
dt880smile.png

That's a sweet setup!   Very similar to mine
wink.gif

The only thing I might change is swapping the Recon for a DSS 1.  I haven't heard the Recon though, I just personally tend to prefer Dolby Headphone.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #12,596 of 48,566
Quote:

wink.gif

The only thing I might change is swapping the Recon for a DSS 1.  I haven't heard the Recon though, I just personally tend to prefer Dolby Headphone.

I can bring mine to the next meet should you want to borrow it for a bit, Chico. I may also have to have a demo set up with it there too, so people can get a feel for the gaming processing.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #12,597 of 48,566
^ you guys live nearby?
I may get on FRAPS to record my own sample, but then maybe not, because I may be selling mine soon bundled with my AD700. I don't want to lose surround and THX did work well for me so I'll probably be picking up a sound card while streamlining my console setup.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #12,598 of 48,566
mmm new pads  are nice, mids are tighter but more forward, bass is better and the highs are brighter, sound stage opens just a little

I also realized the driver are angled :O that being said, the mids kind of DIE if you have them on ur head wrong IE, make sure the |
can site like this against ur ear / fat end near the back of your ears thinner end near the front of ur ear facing ur nose

the mids DIE if you push the cans back to far. That being said, I want a hair cut q.q. So I'm off to clean my room and get a HAIR cut q.q 

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #12,599 of 48,566
Hello all!

This isn't really an audio question but I'm wondering if anybody here (probably Nameless) can help me out.  The other day I bought a GDM-FW900. A few weeks ago I remember Nameless mentioning that there was no real benefit to buying the HDFury for console gaming since the PS3 can't do more than 60FPS (at any refresh rate) period.

The thing is that I still need some sort of way to connect my PS3 (and Wii U in the future) to my monitor. I'm wondering if I should go with the a regular HDMI to VGA converter or is an HDFury really really necessary? And if so, which one would you recommend? There is also the gammaX that is supposed to correct black levels but I don't think that is necessary with this monitor being a CRT and everything. Anyway, what would you recommend?

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #12,600 of 48,566
Quote:
Lol, sweet, your setup is like an amalgamation of our favorite gear. I've never heard the M-Stage (debated getting one for a while), but Chicolom raves about it and I bet it's awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't know if you read my Recon3D review, but I have a link in there that points back to a post in this thread where I chronicled my testing and impressions of what each settings adjustment does, and how to save your settings to the device so your changes carry over to using it with your PS3. Then again, you're happy now, so maybe you've already got settings that are best for you
wink.gif

Yes, I actually came across your review after I purchased the Recon3D and it helped me, immensely. I had the AD700 paired up with it at first... but ended up returning them. I guess my ears desired more. I then ordered the Q701s with the Fiio E9k. I was happy at first, but then that is when I came across chicolom's review of the M-Stage. I could not resist, so I then returned the E9K and ordered the M-Stage from Shenzen Audio on Amazon (great seller, highly recommend). Somewhere in between is when I ordered the annie pads... right around the time MLE updated this thread.

Quote:

wink.gif

I am extremely interested about Dolby Headphone. I actually wanted to get the astro mixamp at first.. but since I do all my shopping on Amazon, mostly... it wasn't an option, unfortunately. That is how I ended up with the Recon3d. It was actually all I could find (compatible with PS3) at the time. I didn't do much research and did not know of this website, yet. As for the DSS 1, I have been on the fence for a while on whether to purchase it or not. Is it similar to the astro mixamp when it comes to DH? Would it really be an upgrade from the Recon3D? I know you haven't tried it... but maybe MLE can give me some advice on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back