Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #12,376 of 48,562
Quote:

Simple answer: Get a mixamp.

Long answer: The X41 mixes the chat audio in the headset itself. Once you take the headset out of the equation, you lose the ability to simply mix in chat audio. Let's say you want to hook up a PC360 to the X41 base station, you plug the headphone pug into the X41 then you run the Mic plug into your controller with various adapters/extensions. You then need to set your preferences in your xbox settings to play chat audio over the speakers. Then to adjust the volume mix of game and chat audio, you have to adjust the master game volume of the game in its audio options menu. If your game can't adjust master game audio then there are 2 sliders in the voice chat preferences in the xbox settings. 1 slider dictates the master chat audio that you hear, the other slider adjusts the master system audio so that once someone starts to talk, the game audio will become lower. Fiddle with the settings till you find something that's playable and enjoy the game. OR sell of the X41 and get a mixamp.

Thanks for your help. Just one more question. In your opinion, is the MixAmp that much better than the x41 base?

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #12,377 of 48,562
It's gonna be pretty much the same. The main thing you're gonna get is voice chat mixing.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #12,379 of 48,562
Damn Denon and their stupid new line. Get back to AH-Ds please 
confused_face.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #12,380 of 48,562
Quote:
So basically..... almost everything I've ever told you.
biggrin.gif

This is why I tell people to spend like a WEEK with a headphone, and NOT compare it to any other within that week, then go back and see how the old ones sound like.

And yes, I did NOT like the Mixamp 5.8's bass boost. That thing clipped more than I benefited from the actual boost. I mean, I like that it was very subtle, but the clipping was too problematic. When it worked, it was nice, but ultimately, I left it off the overwhelming majority of the time.

Hey, I pretty much said all that stuff when I wrote the review.  It was mainly during the very early impressions that I said the anniversary soundstage was smaller (but even then I still emphasized I wasn't sure about it).

It is good to take your time to get to know each headphone when comparing though, and not rush to conclusions to soon.

Quote:
Do you still stand for the pads as a difference between Q701 and Anniversaries? 

Yeah.

Quote:
Chicolom, glad to see you re-snagged a DSS v1. I was wondering if you also get slight sound distortions if you maximize the bass booster.

Are you asking if I still get distorition with the DSS?  Overall the DSS distorted less than the mixamp 5.8 when I had them both, and I think this was true even when you maxed out the bass dial on the DSS. 

I googled searched for some older posts where I talked about it, and found a few:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated/5580#post_8438985
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated/3585#post_8096374

Quote:
I know this has probably been asked and this is a common battle of products, but searching for both products and the word 'ears' in this thread I couldn't find a definite answer.

I have large ears and my decision between the CAL or M50 is coming down based purely on which one might be more comfortable for those with large ears. I have both in my Amazon cart right now and am just waiting to click buy!

I think the CALs are known for being more spacious inside the cups then the M50s.  Also as having a bigger soundstage then the M50s (better for gaming), so there's that.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #12,382 of 48,562
Quote:
Chico, so I got the Parts Express headband for the Koss Clip-ons you sent me. SWEET!

Man...I thought it'd make the clip-ons less comfy, but I couldn't have been more wrong. They improved the comfort on the KSC35, enough to where I no longer wanna wear them without the headband. As for the KSC75, I still prefer the rubberized clips, if only because they stay in place better, but other than that, both the clips and headbands are near perfection for comfort.

I don't get what you mean by the KSC75 not fitting properly. I don't have any issues here. Don't need more sway than they already have. VERY happy.

As far as the sound quality, the headband pretty much proves to me, that the KSC75 IS brighter than the KSC35. No question about it, IMHO.

Thanks so much! I'll be sending my 35s in for repair/replacement, and hopefully now, the cable won't snag off, as it's gonna be on an actual headband.

Ever seen such a beautiful headphone? It's so powerful, that a white aura is seen on the second image! POWER LEVERL OVER 9000.
biggrin.gif

Yes.  I told you they were great!

I think the comfort is a notch above the clips, which is saying something.   You no longer have that minor clip pressure pressing weighing on your ear.

LOL at that pic.  I'm not sure if I'd leave that parts express headband on a full-sized headphone stand.  I'm not sure how much stretching they can take.

Here's the post explaining why I said the KSC35s fit better than the KSC75, and also talking about the comfort:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated/10830#post_9061076

And here is the post with my impressions on the sound:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-3-11-13-lcd2-entry-updated/10845#post_9061787

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #12,384 of 48,562
So, yesterday I was randomly browsing the "Local Meet" thread and happened to spot one that was happening that same day an hour away.

I managed to get down there, and the cast of headphones was....OMG

T1
HD800, HD700
D7000
TH-900
LCD-3
HE-500, HE-6
SR-303
Mad Dogs
Pro 900
Custom One Pros

...and more

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #12,386 of 48,562
Quote:
Wow, quite the selection, did you get enough time with them to post any rough impressions?

I got there during the later part of the meet, so I missed a bit of the action and I didn't get too much time to sample, but I have some very rough impressions I will post.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #12,387 of 48,562
RIDICULOUS.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #12,388 of 48,562
Evshrug, since you've been holding on to the AD700s for so long, maybe you'd find it worthwhile to upgrade to the AD700X or AD900X.

I've some read good things about the AD900X at least, (I haven't seen as much info on the AD700X), so it could be a worthwhile improvement.

Yeah maybe! There are times where I just go for the lighter weight & easy amping requirements of the AD700, even though they are mostly redundant. I haven't read much info on either of those new ATs, basically I'd probably go for whichever has the greater soundstage :wink: part of the thing, though, that makes my AD700 great is how well the pads and headband have broken in... Yeah I did a fair bit of adjusting manually, but the fine adjustment was due to the headphone settling. If I find a pair of the new ones around, I'd definitely make an effort to hear them, but I'm just not headphone shopping now. I've got a job now (first paycheck... One hour of work for the pay period, boo yaaah!), but I want to get back to "finishing" my computer build with a midrange graphics card + CPU, and long term I mean to put away a bit of every paycheck towards a car. There are so many delicious things out there in the world, but if I buy many smaller goodies it'll take longer for me to "attain" the big purchases that'll really net me a big benefit.

It makes it easybto find when you detach it. :)

Ironically, I'm not sure at the moment where I stashed my longer green cable.

So a local Head-fier came over my house, and bought the Annie on the spot. He agreed that they sounded very close to the LCD2.

They are gone. :frowning2:

I know it's going to a good home, so I'm okay with that.

They may be gone, but they'll never be forgotten, and they will be my #1 recommendation for all rounder purposes on this thread and then some.

Just because I sold them, doesn't mean I don't love them. They are overall my favorite all rounder outside of the D7000, and my 3rd fave for music/movie use.

Well, I think you know me well enough by now to know what I have to say about that. Still feel like I have to say it though. If the Annies made you so happy and overall sounded so close to the LCD2s, why did you end up keeping the headphone that cost 2x the money? In light of what I said above about little and big purchases, I guess great headphones ARE your big purchases/goodies, and the small differences in headphones give you greater benefit than other purchases. I feel like, maybe, I could be living the Head-Fi dream (cuz obviously you're not alone here Mad) if I decided to concentrate on just two or three hobbies, but it seems like you're fulfilled with games, audio, and (in growing fashion) writing, so congrats on maximizing your gain by focusing your choices, and congrats on your sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Peridot-Headphone-Stand-Suitable/dp/B00AE0IEHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363542015&sr=8-1&keywords=brainwavz+stand

Good news. My car needed a new starter. $120 was all I spent.

I don't regret selling the Annie as I have my main in the LCD2, though I might spend a little on the warmer wolfson dac chipset for my Compass 2, which should be around $80 total. I might splurge on some custom copper cables, as the stock cables are pretty hideous and a bit short for my taste. Something less than $200. Nothing too fancy.

Oh, I thought you were selling the Compass2? Well, I thought I was selling my AD700, my receiver, and one of my headphone amps, but none of that has happened :wink: I know exactly how scary car repair costs can get, it's always a sigh of relief if you don't have to spend that $600 you thought you'd have to allocate. Sometimes what happens to me, if I started to consign myself to "losing" a lot of money and find out I didn't have to pay nearly as much, then I get tempted to spend some of that "emergency" money on a reward for... I dunno, surviving, lol. I think that's how I've bought all my higher-end amps, lol! Does that happen to you?

RIDICULOUS.

As someone who compulsively saves all retail boxes for large purchases, I say "ooooOOOOOOOOOH!"

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #12,390 of 48,562
Quote:
Chico, so I got the Parts Express headband for the Koss Clip-ons you sent me. SWEET!

I don't get what you mean by the KSC75 not fitting properly. I don't have any issues here. Don't need more sway than they already have. VERY happy.

Oh, OK.  I just tried the KSC75 drivers again, and now AFTER I've modded the headband they work pretty good and have room for rotation.

Before, on the stock un-modded parts express headband, they just hit the plastic and didn't rotate at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back