Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #12,256 of 48,566
Quote:
The DT990 Pro is like an open DT770 Pro 80 but clearer, and faster.

Hmm, just got the DT990, but i really miss the bass, not sure if i got a bad version, or if i need some more juice for the headphones? :S. 
Tried running them direct from my sound card, and from my Denon receiver. The receiver deliver the best performance, but still not a lot of bass :S.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #12,258 of 48,566
Quote:
Hmm, just got the DT990, but i really miss the bass, not sure if i got a bad version, or if i need some more juice for the headphones? :S. 
Tried running them direct from my sound card, and from my Denon receiver. The receiver deliver the best performance, but still not a lot of bass :S.

I've found the bass is definitely more pronounced on the DT 770 Pro and probably due to its closed-back design.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #12,259 of 48,566
Quote:
Oh, also I think I know why the usb cable that MLE included with the ODAC wasn't working, I'm pretty sure that cable is a "charge only" cable. The power led lights up on my card reader with it but that's about it. The other cable works fine though.

Given other comments on the ODAC, I'm pretty sure the cable MLE had is the usual cable that JDS Labs bundled with it, but somewhere along the line, the data wires must have broken while the power and ground wires are still intact somehow.

Regardless, the original cable doesn't work like it should, and that's why I threw in a mini-USB cable of my own. (Good thing I had a spare mini-USB cable for my own uses.)

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #12,260 of 48,566
The impression I get from MLE's guide is that the DT990's have less space inside the cups, and frankly my ears barely fit inside the DT770s as it is. Can anyone suggest if this would be a problem for me?

Also question for MLE if I may? I know the 990s were a standard for you which you replaced with the annies? Can I ask why, and if going up that big step in budget would be worth it?

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #12,261 of 48,566
Quote:

Do you think your DT 880s are better than the Mad Dog? I thought the DT 880s were semi open? They still have more bass than the closed back Mad Dogs?

... Yup, I think it's due to the increased sound stage and overall tightness of the bass in the 880s. Plus the Mad Dogs have SUCH forward mids that it really takes away from the bass a little, where as [[for me]] the Dt 880 [along with my thick tube] has just enough mid to be enjoyable. I've eq'd a TINSY bit more into the dt 880 and still liked it [but eqing neutral cans and music that IS NOT edm is a sin for me] SO I was hoping the mad dog would have more mids and it does, although for MEGA MID HEAVY VOCAL tracks the mad dog HONKS... even on a Thin tight airy tube [and solid state] Although that's the recording more than anything. Still though yea the 880 has more bass for me [the bass is tighter and hits a little quick n harder] where as the mad dog the bass is very laid back and lingers a little. Which for me isn't my thing [unless it's the FART CANNON bass of the xb700.] 
Quote:
Not sure how the Mad Dogs fare for gaming, but they cost $300, and are very highly regarded. I'd probably choose the one with the Dog Pads, as it's more 'fun' than the one with Alpha pads. The Mad Dogs have a very similar response to the older LCD2.

https://www.mrspeakers.com/Audiophile-fostex-t50rp-upgrades-mrspeakers-mad-dog

Planar magnetic goodness.

I heard the soundstage was pretty good for a closed headphone, and isolation is among the best.

I still wanna hear one.

Sadly, I don't have much experience with closed headphones, as I tend to ignore them. Open headphones are just so much better overall, IMHO.

The Pro 900 was good in fun and competitive, but it was terribly bright/fatiguing in the treble. The DT770 Pro 80 was great for fun, but way too bassy overall, and veiled sounding at times.

The dt pro 990 are apprently a nice can for gaming. And YES the mad dogs are good for gaming I think, but that's mostly because I have noisy room mates and the mad dogs isolate really well
Quote:

... I'n not going to REALLY say it but BURN IN, I dunno it always works for me. Every Can everytime. I think that's because our brain adjust to the can I Dunno. It's a mental thing I'm sure but ALSO

I LOVE semi and open can bass and Closed Bass pisses me off Hence is why the dt 880 has more bass for me than the Mad Dog

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #12,263 of 48,566
Such good music right now... Real tired, but the music is so good ^___^

P.S.
I don't know if I ever used Nameless' USB cord while borrowing the ODAC (the cable was branded LaCie, right?), after one didn't work I just tried two of my own I knew worked. I'm thinking my computer just couldn't load the drivers, not a typical situation or the ODAC's fault.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12,264 of 48,566
Quote:
I don't know if I ever used Nameless' USB cord while borrowing the ODAC (the cable was branded LaCie, right?).

.....Anyone get it?

wink.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #12,265 of 48,566
As an RPG fan, you know it.

THANKS Happy Bullet. If he can find a legit 2011 Mixamp for that price, good luck. Pretty much every Mixamp I've seen is the 2013 version. I bought this distorfed pair for $130 because it was all I could find. Either way, it works perfectly, as long as you leave the volume knob alone. Dunno anyone who plays while constantly adjusting volume. :wink:

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #12,267 of 48,566
The only ones I've seen at $85 are for the amp only. Zero accessories. You will need a y cable, usb cable, optical cable, rca to 3.5mm, 3.5mm cables. All that adds up even if you buy seperately, and cheap 3rd parties. Mine came with everything, Including the box, long usb cable, etc.

The only I don't have is the rechargeable battery pack, which was useless to begin with as you're constantly tethered anyways. That's most likely why they got rid of the battery bay in the 2013 edition. It was redundant.

Again, unless you're constantly adjusting volume, the Mixamp is fine.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #12,269 of 48,566
Cool. I was looking for any reason to use it, by my Marantz really made it moot. Do you have an external mic? I'll include my DX clip on mic, since I won't be needing it...

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #12,270 of 48,566
Just wanted to thank you Mad Lust Envy for your great headphone guide!
I bought the Skullcandy SLYR headphones and boy were they a great buy!

In music my ASG-1.2 kicks it's ass... BUT in movies it's reversed and the SLYR kicks ass!
eek.gif

I have yet to test the SLYR in games, but I'm sure it'll pull ahead.

I'm sooo surprised it's better than my ASG-1.2!

I wish I could keep it! (Bought it for a friend)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back