Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #12,166 of 48,566
Quote:
The Mad Dogs are kind of moot for me now though, seeing as my LCD2 will be here any day now.

And speaking of the KSC35, I have to send that in to get fixed.
rolleyes.gif

Been using the 75s for weeks now.

So you went ahead and bought LCD-2s?

I don't think the KSC75 will work on the headband mod, they don't rotate.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #12,167 of 48,566
I thought you drilled off a bit to allow the 75 to fit? :frowning2:

And yeah, some Vegan LCD2s, which supposedly arrives today, but he didn't ship the right cable, so I have to wait for the replacement. :frowning2:

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #12,168 of 48,566
I thought you drilled off a bit to allow the 75 to fit? :frowning2:

No, it's to let the KSC 35 drivers rotate more freely. The 75s are too fat right where they clip on. They might work If you remove that outer plastic cover thing, but I'm not sure.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #12,169 of 48,566
Well, my 35s still work. Just the cable is stripping off, and one of the plastic pieces that hide where the wires are soldered is gone. Lol. I'll test it out with the headband before sending it in to get fixed. Or perhaps I should just send them in asap.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #12,170 of 48,566
Well, my 35s still work. Just the cable is stripping off, and one of the plastic pieces that hide where the wires are soldered is gone. Lol. I'll test it out with the headband before sending it in to get fixed. Or perhaps I should just send them in asap.
I'm guessing Koss takes there sweet time to send out a replacement...

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #12,172 of 48,566
Quote:
Oh, you were looking at Zigis' amp too? He just sent me the new wooden panels for my amp, I should do a formal review. Last I heard, he had everything he needed to build and sell a few amps. Mine has been absolutely wonderful, after I got it set up right.
I've made some lengthy mini-guide posts in this thread, I rescued some of them and put them into my thread or in the product reviews section, but I know there's some that I've forgotten. If you make a good thread with an attractive title, and put the link in your signature, anybody who sees your post could stumble over to your guide. Good luck!

Yeah :) Have asked him about which desktop amps he could build. So could build both the O2, and his own hybrid tube amp.
I think i pick the tube amp, just because it's handmade and a little bit more cool to have :D. I hope that tube amp, can boost the bass, and lower the treble a little on the dt 990 premium.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #12,173 of 48,566
Id like some help if anyone is willing to provide some insight- anyways sort of working on a budget here but lets assume anything totalling less than $700 is fine for entire package.

The use will be primarily gaming some music and though id consider myself an audiophile i do not have the equipment nor have i ever really. That said i am an avid gamer with a lot of experience and aim to play competitively professionally. If possible id like to serve both my audio quality and accuracy/stage needs. I had been thinking the akg k550s since i could get those for a discount however after reading this article i have been leaning more towards the k702 should i be able to get them. I was then thinking of getting a xfi titanium fatal1ty pro pci express card with headphone amp (3.5mm :frowning2: connection i think ) or the recon3d with same although ive read some negative reviews and comments regarding processing or the new Zxr with 129 snr and 1/4" amped headphone plug. Id like to go that route as it keep costs down for everything by having an amp built in however if there is a better solution im all ears.

Is there a delay running sound card to amp to headphone? If so i may be opposed to this for gaming needs

Is there a decent amp built into these sound cards?

Should i go with a ht omega claro halo or something with more accuracy? Is there more of a delay there?

I need dolby 7.1 and dts 7.1 to be created by cmss 3d or something else for gaming needs

Anyone have any suggestions? Ill be looking more through pages of this thread while i wait

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #12,174 of 48,566
@Mad Lust Envy, chicolom

So to sum it up, Q701 are all around the best possible headphones(for mortal people that pay about 350$ not compering to models 1000$+) that one PC gamer would ever want end expect from headphones :) ? On internet I read a lot about Sennheiser HD 558 and how good they sound(some people say best of all) when modded. There are 2 simple mods http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8i_ZGHHhuQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-knI5XuZ3KE&feature=youtu.be , I'm sure that you are well known with this subject and I am interested in your opinion about Q701 VS moded Sennheiser HD 558 in terms of positional cues, bas and treble(for movies and game immersion), sound stage etc... The price between those two is not important, just pure performance, joy while gaming and immersion, how it feels on the head is also not important as well as amplification :) 

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #12,175 of 48,566
Quote:
@Mad Lust Envy, chicolom

So to sum it up, Q701 are all around the best possible headphones(for mortal people that pay about 350$ not compering to models 1000$+) that one PC gamer would ever want end expect from headphones :) ? On internet I read a lot about Sennheiser HD 558 and how good they sound(some people say best of all) when modded. There are 2 simple mods http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8i_ZGHHhuQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-knI5XuZ3KE&feature=youtu.be , I'm sure that you are well known with this subject and I am interested in your opinion about Q701 VS moded Sennheiser HD 558 in terms of positional cues, bas and treble(for movies and game immersion), sound stage etc... The price between those two is not important, just pure performance, joy while gaming and immersion, how it feels on the head is also not important as well as amplification :) 

Read the front page about the HD598 and you will get a similar idea of how the HD558 sounds. The HD558 isn't quite the same, and is a little warmer than the HD598.

Both Q701 and HD558 will do quite well with soundstage and positioning, but the Q701 will have more bass and a fuller sound (more weight and body) then the sennheisers which gives it an edge in fun and immersion.  The Sennheisers will sound a little bland and boring in comparison - with less impact to the sounds.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #12,176 of 48,566
Quote:
Id like some help if anyone is willing to provide some insight- anyways sort of working on a budget here but lets assume anything totalling less than $700 is fine for entire package.

The use will be primarily gaming some music and though id consider myself an audiophile i do not have the equipment nor have i ever really. That said i am an avid gamer with a lot of experience and aim to play competitively professionally. If possible id like to serve both my audio quality and accuracy/stage needs. I had been thinking the akg k550s since i could get those for a discount however after reading this article i have been leaning more towards the k702 should i be able to get them. I was then thinking of getting a xfi titanium fatal1ty pro pci express card with headphone amp (3.5mm
frown.gif
connection i think ) or the recon3d with same although ive read some negative reviews and comments regarding processing or the new Zxr with 129 snr and 1/4" amped headphone plug. Id like to go that route as it keep costs down for everything by having an amp built in however if there is a better solution im all ears.

Is there a delay running sound card to amp to headphone? If so i may be opposed to this for gaming needs

Is there a decent amp built into these sound cards?

Should i go with a ht omega claro halo or something with more accuracy? Is there more of a delay there?

I need dolby 7.1 and dts 7.1 to be created by cmss 3d or something else for gaming needs

Anyone have any suggestions? Ill be looking more through pages of this thread while i wait

Under $700? That still leaves a LOT of headroom like you wouldn't believe. We're talking HE-500, used Stax Lambda setups, Koss ESP/950, etc. On the other hand, you'd probably want something more affordable to keep the costs down, like the HE-400.

Adding an external amp to a sound card does NOT introduce delay. Not sure what gave anyone that idea. Personally, I'd suggest going with an external amp anyway, since it's better to match the amp to your headphones of choice than the other way around. (And if you choose to venture into electrostatics like the aforementioned Stax or Koss setups, you HAVE to use an external amp anyway.)

The X-Fi cards don't have much in the way of built-in headphone amp circuits, but sound fine DAC-wise (at least the Auzentech-built ones and the Titanium HD do) and would make a great source for an external amp, along with having an edge in terms of gaming features. Not even the later Recon3D or Z-series cards really compare.

I've heard good things about the HT Omega cards as far as C-Media offerings go, but have no hands-on experience or plans to buy one. All I can say is that anything based on a C-Media chipset, be it Asus or HT Omega or Auzentech or anyone else, is generally disadvantaged in terms of DirectSound3D and OpenAL API support compared to the Creative chipsets.

CMSS-3D doesn't "create" Dolby Digital or DTS signals; that's what Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect are for, and even then, that's for a completely different purpose (mixing the PC sound signal into a compressed 5.1 stream that fits into limited S/PDIF bandwidth). What it will do, however, is take the source audio (be it encoded DD/DTS tracks from a movie, PCM channels from a software-mixed PC game, or DS3D/OAL 3D audio coordinates) and downmix it in such a way that you can hear the surround channels with distinct directionality over headphones.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #12,177 of 48,566
@chicolom Thx for a fast reply, I own a Beyerdynamic MMX 300 cans combined with a Asus Xonar DX audio card. Thinking about buying another pair of cans and see for myself difference between closed design and open design, so I got to Q701 as a rightful competitor for the given task thus Q701 is a semi open design I wonder if it makes a difference as I am looking for a widest possible stage(not compromising the sound performance) for direconal cues. Any advice, would it be a noticeable improvement, an upgrade to MMX 300? 

PS Plan to pair Q701 with Asus Xonar STX just for testing purposes, maybe later buy a dedicated amp if needed or STX is ok?

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #12,178 of 48,566
Quote:
@chicolom Thx for a fast reply, I own a Beyerdynamic MMX 300 cans combined with a Asus Xonar DX audio card. Thinking about buying another pair of cans and see for myself difference between closed design and open design, so I got to Q701 as a rightful competitor for the given task thus Q701 is a semi open design I wonder if it makes a difference as I am looking for a widest possible stage(not compromising the sound performance) for direconal cues. Any advice, would it be a noticeable improvement, an upgrade to MMX 300? 

PS Plan to pair Q701 with Asus Xonar STX just for testing purposes, maybe later buy a dedicated amp if needed or STX is ok?

The Q701 is a good open headphone to start with.  I've never heard the closed Beyers, but I hear the MMX 300 is pretty nice and has great positioning.  I imagine the Q701 will be more open sounding though.

I think the STX is pretty powerful and may be enough as is.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #12,180 of 48,566
To start with? 
size]
 I thought that those 2 models are lets say the best 2 pair of cans that mortals can buy(I dont count extremely expensive cans). Is there something better you propose? 

I plan to decide between 2 models(and I'm hardly keeping up the pace with that 
size]
 ) and to finish the story for the next 5 years or even more 
size]

PS I will keep the model I like more and the other one sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back