Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 1, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #12,016 of 48,562
Quote:
...so if you own the Q701 and are fine with the headband, it's worth trying out the Annie pads.

And now I'm wishing I hadn't read this today. :p Mad Dogs only here for a week and I'm already considering my next purchase. However, I can say with certainty that the MDs will not be going back. They're here to stay.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #12,017 of 48,562
Quote:
The E17 is a combination amp/DAC, so it's useful as a serviceable amp as well as a source (either thru USB from a computer or by connecting another player or whatever thru optical or line in)... It just happens to have a custom dock connection for using the E09K as it's amp when docked.

The E09K can absolutely be used as an independent amp just like a Magni or an O2, those two are slightly better or more versatile amps tho... Without an E17 you only really have one input on the E09K, the USB port is strictly for feeding a docked E17 and the other RCA jacks are outputs (pre-amp and line out).

I'd probably go for one of the other two if you're not getting the E17 for use at a PC or whatever, since they'll handle a wider variety of headphones with ease... Though if you think you'll get the E17 at a later date then the E09K ends up being more versatile (more inputs, tone controls, etc).

No matter which amp you get, you'd basically go from the Mixamp's output (or your sound card's output) to the amp's input and then you plug the headphones into the amp.

All audio signals are electrically amplified to one extent or another at some point in the chain, I'll leave the finer details to Google or someone else. Dedicated headphone amps just do a better job of driving high end headphones than most gear (like the Mixamp) where amplification is an afterthought.

Like someone else said before tho, it isn't strictly about volume.

okay,
thanks a lot for helping me out.
I think imma stick with my dt 990s, and just get an amp plus mod mic.
Since i do love the way they make games sound. When its down to competitive gaming its all about gun skill anyways lol.
I see, i was looking for the magni but i couldnt find it on amazon. Ill try ebay.
My mix amp works but i have to turn up the volume past half to make it loud enough.

edit: i couldnt find either amps you recommended.

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #12,018 of 48,562
First post longtime lurker hello everyone!
Need a recommendation for a pair of cans ive searched and read this guide several times:
Budget: 300ish
Where: mostly at home but wouldn't mind some portability and passive noise cancelling.
Primary use: mostly gaming (70% fun 30% competitive). But really want them to sound good for all types of rock music.
Power: mixamp 2013. Can get portable amp if needed.
Sound: something that can handle primarily fun gaming but also does well with competitive gaming. I will listen to a lot of music with them too. So large soundstage, fun bass but not bleeding into midrange, smooth treble and preferably not to fatiguing. Also something fairly easy to drive as all I have is a mixamp.
What I've looked at or tried: astro a40 but disliked it for many reasons. q701 but worried about lack of bass and "fun" factor as well as fatigue. Senn amperior, b&w p5 (no good for gaming).
So this will be my first set of decent cans. One thought was to buy two pairs, one for gaming, one for music. Or one do it all pair and a portable amp if necessary.
Thanks so much for any help!

Mar 1, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #12,020 of 48,562
No. I heard the AD900 has worse positional cues and a wonkier soundstage.

Just my two cents on ad900. I remember positioning to be good as well as sound stage.

But

Treble was piercing at the volume I wanted and comfort was absolute non starter. Drivers touched my ears and mine are small. Pads practically rested on my cheek bones.

Perfect cans for huge heads tiny ears and screechy treble lovers. No thank you.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #12,021 of 48,562
Quote:

okay,
thanks a lot for helping me out.
I think imma stick with my dt 990s, and just get an amp plus mod mic.
Since i do love the way they make games sound. When its down to competitive gaming its all about gun skill anyways lol.
I see, i was looking for the magni but i couldnt find it on amazon. Ill try ebay.
My mix amp works but i have to turn up the volume past half to make it loud enough.

edit: i couldnt find either amps you recommended.

magni can be found at http://schiit.com/

The O2 is an open-source amp and can be found at various retailers, but the most popular iteration can be found at http://www.jdslabs.com/

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #12,022 of 48,562
Need a recommendation for a pair of cans ive searched and read this guide several times:
Where: mostly at home but wouldn't mind some portability and passive noise cancelling.
Primary use: mostly gaming (70% fun 30% competitive). But really want them to sound good for all types of rock music.
Sound: something that can handle primarily fun gaming but also does well with competitive gaming. I will listen to a lot of music with them too. So large soundstage, fun bass but not bleeding into midrange, smooth treble and preferably not to fatiguing. Also something fairly easy to drive as all I have is a mixamp.
What I've looked at or tried: astro a40 but disliked it for many reasons. q701 but worried about lack of bass and "fun" factor as well as fatigue. Senn amperior, b&w p5 (no good for gaming).
So this will be my first set of decent cans. One thought was to buy two pairs, one for gaming, one for music. Or one do it all pair and a portable amp if necessary.

Q701 and find out where to get the Anniversary's memory foam pads. It will more or less make them sound like the Annies, meaning complete all rounders. Borrowed my friend's Q701 and I'm using thr Annie's pads. It sounds very close to the Annie. I'm sure its the same, but driver variation makes them sound a little different.

So yes, my recommendation from now on for those that can't straight afford to get an Annie, if to get the K702/Q701 and buy a separate pair of Annie pads. You save about $100+, though it won't be as comfy as the Annie, due to the headband bumps.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #12,023 of 48,562
Quote:

Welcome!
With a budget of $300 you're well into the territory of affording both an amp as well as a decent pair of phones. While some HPs may benefit more than others, all will see in improvement in SQ with an amp. 

However if forgoing the amp, then might I suggest some Bayers. You'll need to determine how important portability will be though. I could only see myself using the 770s in public due to the closed design. If portability is not too big of a concern, or if your not as concerned with sound leakage while on the move, then the 990s will give you a bigger soundstage with a small decrease in sub bass. My only gripe with the 990 Pro 250ohms is a slight amount of simblance that occurs very rarely (usually with female vocals).  

I wouldn't go so far as to discount the Q701  just off the lack of bass... It not that he lower frequencies vanish, but rather they do not have the basshead punch that other HPs have. Think bookshelf speaker vs subwoofer. Then again, for portability, leakage will be a concern with these as well. 

If you're in the US than I'd say order 2 pairs off of Amazon (make sure its shipped and sold by amazon) and either keep or return both, in any case you'll just have to spend the return fee, rather than trying to sell them. The other option would be to check out a music supply store... some have demo models.

oh and sorry 'bout your wallet!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #12,024 of 48,562
Quote:
Q701 and find out where to get the Anniversary's memory foam pads. It will more or less make them sound like the Annies, meaning complete all rounders. Borrowed my friend's Q701 and I'm using thr Annie's pads. It sounds very close to the Annie. I'm sure its the same, but driver variation makes them sound a little different.

So yes, my recommendation from now on for those that can't straight afford to get an Annie, if to get the K702/Q701 and buy a separate pair of Annie pads. You save about $100+, though it won't be as comfy as the Annie, due to the headband bumps.

Makes me want to organize a group buy from HK for a bulk order of Annie pads... 
MLE/Chico/EV/TD/(or anyone familiar with K/Q 701/2s) going off this diagram part #19 is the only one that needs to be replaced...correct? http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/4/k70248b2a8664eaf0.pdf or would a combination of parts be preferable as to just swap out an entire pad assembly?

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #12,025 of 48,562
Just the pads.

You might also wanna look into the K601 headband for the extra comfort, and it should be much cheaper than the Annie headband. The Annie headband and pads alone would just make it better to buy the Annie outright.

Still headband swapping seems difficult for these headphones.

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #12,026 of 48,562
Quote:
magni can be found at http://schiit.com/

The O2 is an open-source amp and can be found at various retailers, but the most popular iteration can be found at http://www.jdslabs.com/

The only problem with the Magni/Schiit here in Europe, it costs 120£ or something, a little more then the O2 amp :S.

At last i have ordered me a pair of DT 990 250 ohm premium, just because of the look :D.
So now i'm just looking for an amp, o2, magni, some tube :)?.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #12,027 of 48,562
A tube amp that favors high impedance headphones would be the best bet for the 990s.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #12,028 of 48,562
The only problem with the Magni/Schiit here in Europe, it costs 120£ or something, a little more then the O2 amp :S.

At last i have ordered me a pair of DT 990 250 ohm premium, just because of the look :D.
So now i'm just looking for an amp, o2, magni, some tube :)?.

The main European builder of the Objective2 (O2) amp is Epiphany Acoustics, FYI. I'm assuming you already knew that tho. The Schiit Audio Magni amp is on Schiit.com and ships from the US, I think.
I've read good things about the latest "Indeed" Chinese-made eBay tube amps, and the "Project Sunrise" amp made by Jeremy (USA) as an upgraded version of the Indeed amps, but I have been having a great personal experience with a single-ended-triode Class A tube amp made by head-fi'er Zigis, which he calls the Rock 'n Glass. Zigis is in Europe/Latvia if that matters to you.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #12,029 of 48,562

Makes me want to organize a group buy from HK for a bulk order of Annie pads... 
MLE/Chico/EV/TD/(or anyone familiar with K/Q 701/2s) going off this diagram part #19 is the only one that needs to be replaced...correct? http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/4/k70248b2a8664eaf0.pdf or would a combination of parts be preferable as to just swap out an entire pad assembly?

So looks like its about $70 to get a pair of the Annie pads.

Now next question is where to buy the black q701 for 250. Amazon has them at 290 right now.

Also would an amp be necessary for these to chain along with my mixamp for gaming? I rarely use chat and if I do I put my Xbox mic around my neck.

Mar 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #12,030 of 48,562
I used to do that for a mic too, but the lapel mic works better (louder for everyone else). Part of that I think was because I used a platronics headset mic, which was unidirectional and probably not quite angled right towards my mouth.

guess you could buy the black Q701. IMO the white was my preference, (so I lucked out), but your free to have your own taste. It looks like the Q701's price has spiked up a little since the Anniversaries came out, the price may go down again at some point. I suggest you set up a notification on camelcamelcamel.com for when the price reaches your target, a very useful site (so is pcpartspicker.com, but that's for different products)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back