Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #11,806 of 48,566
Quote:

I've been very happy w/my DT 880 Premiums (250), for someone that's starting out I think they're worth seeking out if you aren't in a hurry to find them at a good price (and you're investing in a half decent amp)... Almost everything else I end up looking at now seems to make more tradeoffs than I'm willing to take in order to gain any substantial improvements, hrm.

Same, I still want the Dt 880 Pre 600ohms AND the pro 250. As the pro 250 is a VERY linear and nice refrance can. Still I'd like the extra warmth of the 600 ohm version...

Might bite on a Dt 770 LE version

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #11,807 of 48,566
Quote:
Sorry about your wallet!

I didn't know you went through that many electrostatic sets already, heh. I'm actually curious as to how the electret and pre-Lambda electrostatic models hold up to the SR-Lambda.

Lol, I purchased the Numark's a little over a month ago for dirt cheap. Then I gave up on finding a decent pair of lambas and snagged the SR30's last week, the next day I saw the SR80's withSRD6 and figured I would grab them if nothing else for the adapter in the future, and sell the SR30's, SR80's and SRD4 adapter as a package. Then, on friday a pair of Lambdas with SRD7 popped up Buy it Now and I jumped on them, lol. Totally loving them though.

-Erik

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #11,808 of 48,566
Quote:

Lol, I purchased the Numark's a little over a month ago for dirt cheap. Then I gave up on finding a decent pair of lambas and snagged the SR30's last week, the next day I saw the SR80's withSRD6 and figured I would grab them if nothing else for the adapter in the future, and sell the SR30's, SR80's and SRD4 adapter as a package. Then, on friday a pair of Lambdas with SRD7 popped up Buy it Now and I jumped on them, lol. Totally loving them though.

-Erik

bleh, yea I hear recommendations for the Lamabadas rather often... MLE SELL ME A PAIR OF DT 990 PRO 250s xD I just lost my orignal seller :[

still though... I'm still at a dead end with getting an Odac as well <.<. Cmon Head Fi'rs SELL ME UR STUFF xd

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #11,809 of 48,566
Quote:
Now that I've had a taste of the LCD-2, I'm wondering how the Mad Dog by Mr. Speakers (modified Fostex T50RP) sounds like. The frequency curve is very, very similar to the LCD2, and people have labeled it the poor man's LCD2. For $300... I think it warrants a listen...

The main difference is that the Mad Dogs are fully closed, undoubtedly changing the soundstage compared to the LCD2.

I've been toying around with the idea of picking up the Mad Dogs with the new alpha pads once I get my tax return in and pay for the honeymoon transportation. I'd be willing to send them your way for a review if I do. From what I hear, the alpha pads are pretty impressive even for people who are big fans of velours. I'm looking for a great sounding closed set. I need some good isolation and for $300 I've been leaning towards them.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #11,811 of 48,566
Quote:
to all the Mixamp 2013 owners:

Astro released a firmware update last week and not only has the noise-gate been improved for mic use, but the EQ presets are better.  Sports preset is out completely (it basically just sounded like an echo chamber, so good riddance) and the Core preset is far more neutral than it was before.  Definitely a very good firmware update.

I was going to post this a week ago when the firmware was released, but didnt, simply because I wasn't too impressed. the new pro eq setting sounds horrendous to me, almost like the sports setting. Sounds like they tried to mimick an open sounding headset with it. Sounds too artificial, and doesn't bring out the finer details. Core on the other hand, sounds great. 

the firmware also brought some iffy sounding voice comms. Astro still has work to do.

not trying to contradict your post, just adding my thoughts :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #11,812 of 48,566
I think I might be the only person who frequents here with the Mad Dogs/Alpha Dogs.
And... they are wonderful. I haven't used them for gaming for any length of time though. Not long enough to give them a fair assessment.
All I know is I am not returning mine, and I am incredibly difficult to please. 
L3000.gif
 I mean I returned the Annies and HE400 for crying out loud so what kind of sick crack head could I be.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #11,813 of 48,566
This is probably an incredibly noob question but is there anyway I can use my dt770's for my xbox? If someone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Short answer: 1st post covers most of the ways you can hook up a pair of phones to an xbox.

Longer answer: Depends on what you want out of the audio. If your looking for plain-jane stereo, then you're in the wrong thread, and just plug them into an amp connected to the tv (or directly into the tv.)
If you want surround then you're going to have to invest a little more and get a decoder of some sort. These come in many shapes and sizes, from the diminutive DSS to a full on HT receiver. Basically I would suggest reading the first post thoroughly and then come back and seek clarification on parts that are unclear. If/When you do come back try and have a budget in mind (then triple it...lol), some clear and reasonable expectations or desires on what kind of sound you're looking for, what equipment you already have, and maybe what you're looking to buy. While the decoders don't impact sound signature quite like changing 'phones, there are subtle differences and nuances.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #11,814 of 48,566
Quote:
 I need some good isolation and for $300 I've been leaning towards them.

Quote:
I know don't even mention it :/, I'm considering the Mad Dogs for portable use [so long as the isolate half decently] 

The isolation on the Alpha pads is amazing. To put it into perspective, I was up at night with a fussy baby, trying to get her to sleep. Any noise would wake here up. In a totally quiet room with her, I was able to turn up the volume almost to the point of pain and she never flinched. 
Sadly I made a mistake. I turned them down to a reasonable volume and was listening to some tracks when I lifted up one ear cup to scratch my ear. Huge mistake. She instantly blew up. 
Point is. Isolation is great on the Mad Dogs w/ Alphas

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #11,815 of 48,566
Hey guys, new member here. I was looking to upgrade my gaming setup (Xbox 360 and PC hooked up to a computer monitor) with some new headphones. Currently I am running some Turtle Beach PX5's. They are real convenient and everything being wireless but obviously aren't the greatest for sound quality.

After reading your post I have been looking at the AKG K702 65th Anniversary Editions. I know they would blow away my Beaches SQ wise but would they be a big step up for competitive gaming?

Also I am usually using voice chat on Xbox 360 a lot so I'm thinking I would need an amp to drive them properly.

I also want to use the headphones for music listening on both my PC rig and maybe portable devices once in a while.

So far, after a little research, I was thinking of purchasing the following setup:
- AKG K702 65th Annie's
- Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 Edition
- Antlion Modmic for my Xbox
- Fiio E17 maybe even combined with the Fiio E9K Desktop Amplifier.

What do you think? Any changes I should make, or other things I will be needing?

Thanks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #11,816 of 48,566
That's a damn good setup right there. The E17 isn't necessary outside of non-gaming use, so only get it if you feel like you're gonna be using the headphones for music, etc.

Competitive-wise, you don't need much outside of bare essentials like the HD555/AD700. You're paying for refinement, all around uses, and a higher level of quality overall. If competitive play is top priority, you do not need to spend so much to achieve it. Basically anything I'd rate at like a 7.5/8 or more would be fine. An 8 isn't gonna be blown away by a 10. They both will soundwhore fine.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #11,817 of 48,566
Damn you all, now I'm interested in the Mad Dogs, although having looked into them they actually seem kind of ideal for my next pair, more so than what I had been looking at... Might just end up saving some money with them.

I kinda ignored all the Fostex T50RP mods for a while but the MD do seem like a decent value. They seem somewhat more neutral than the HE-400, potentially more comfortable, and the simple single entry removable cable's a nice bonus IMO.

I had sorta given up on finding a higher end full size closed headphone (within budget) that I liked but the MDs might just do the trick, specially if the claims about a decent sound stage are accurate.

From what I hear, the alpha pads are pretty impressive even for people who are big fans of velours. I'm looking for a great sounding closed set. I need some good isolation and for $300 I've been leaning towards them.

What have you read about them from people that favor velours?

This is the one thing I'm hesitant about, given what he charges for the pads by themselves I imagine they're very high quality and account for a good deal of the mod/sound; but I'm concerned about using them in the humid Puerto Rico weather.

I get on fine with my M-80's protein leather pads but I imagine being on-ears there's a big difference.

I think I might be the only person who frequents here with the Mad Dogs/Alpha Dogs.
And... they are wonderful. I haven't used them for gaming for any length of time though. Not long enough to give them a fair assessment.
All I know is I am not returning mine, and I am incredibly difficult to please. 
L3000.gif

I mean I returned the Annies and HE400 for crying out loud so what kind of sick crack head could I be.

How would you characterize them compared to the HE-400 or your Beyers? I don't necessarily need an expansive sound stage, I'd probably use them more for TV/movies/some music and I'd keep my Beyers for gaming/music...

We can talk in PM if this is too OT for the thread, but given how few recommendations there usually are for mid range closed gaming headphones I figure it's relevant.

I'm thinking of either ordering them outright, or waiting a bit until I have more spare time and then order them along with the HE-400 so I can compare them myself.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #11,818 of 48,566
I actually had the MD in the shopping cart. VERY close to submitting that payment. But I know that money is better saved up for a Denon D7000 or X1. I already have a very linear headphone in the Annie. Don't need another one.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #11,819 of 48,566
That's a damn good setup right there. The E17 isn't necessary outside of non-gaming use, so only get it if you feel like you're gonna be using the headphones for music, etc.

Competitive-wise, you don't need much outside of bare essentials like the HD555/AD700. You're paying for refinement, all around uses, and a higher level of quality overall. If competitive play is top priority, you do not need to spend so much to achieve it. Basically anything I'd rate at like a 7.5/8 or more would be fine. An 8 isn't gonna be blown away by a 10. They both will soundwhore fine.

So let's say I did decide to get the Annie's, would I need an additional amp on top of the Mixamp if I wanted to use voice chat? I thought I read earlier that they are fine for gaming alone but once you mix in voice chat, they might need some amping.

But the setup won't be strictly for competitive use. I want to use the headphones for music, movies etc as well.

And when using the headphones with my PC and wanting to get the most out of them, I would need the DAC in the E17... Not just a desktop amp like the E9K?

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #11,820 of 48,566
So let's say I did decide to get the Annie's, would I need an additional amp on top of the Mixamp if I wanted to use voice chat?

The Annie is easier to power than the other AKGs, so maybe not. I admittedly haven't realy tested this out.

I thought I read earlier that they are fine for gaming alone but once you mix in voice chat, they might need some amping.
True for the older models. The Annie might be more passable without an amp. I'd still recommend an amp as those drivers sure love power.

But the setup won't be strictly for competitive use. I want to use the headphones for music, movies etc as well.

Okay, then yes, that should be just fine.

And when using the headphones with my PC and wanting to get the most out of them, I would need the DAC in the E17... Not just a desktop amp like the E9K?

Correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back