Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #11,446 of 48,565
No amp for the HD650 which is one of the headphone's that scales the most... yeah, did you even read abut them?

The Schiit combo should be pretty good for the HD650, as it's on the clearer side of amps.

And yeah, the bass isn't as emphasized, because the HD650 is pretty balanced. One of the flattest frequency responses I've seen.

Also don't just quickly compare one to another. Spend some time with the HD650, like a WEEK or so. Then go back to the Siberia. The difference will be more jarring. You're so used to the Siberias, which is why your opinion is skewed towards them.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #11,447 of 48,565
Quote:
You dunno what you're missing. The KSC75 should be in everyone's collection. If I didn't have the KSC35, the 75 would be my most used headphone. They get 90% more use than anything else, ever.

I would imagine it would be the same if you had any other portable headphone... It's only logical, even more so if you spend more time outside than home.

What is up with your avatar though? Where is here left hand?...:wink:

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #11,448 of 48,565
That's Panty from "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt", and yes, it is where you think it is. Lol.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msWbNfEOFlk[/VIDEO]

The main draw with the KSC75 is how unobtrusive it is. It simply disappears on your head, in that you can do ANYTHING, and they will stay in place. They're small enough to sleep with, and don't hurt the way IEMs do. The only IEM I can stand is the JVC Marshmallows, and you probably know they aren't the best sounding IEMs out there.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #11,449 of 48,565
The KSC75 is a fantastic headphone. If you can get some clips and find the portapro on sale that is also another fantastic set. Use to sleep with, walk with, around the house listening to music and playing games. I agree both or at least one should be in every ones collection.

I really wish I could find someone to show me in person how to solder because I have 5 pairs of KSC75s that I don't want to send in I just want to recable altogether because the they either break at the ear piece or around the 3.5mm jack area since it is not sealed properly. The portapros/KSC35 are a much higher build quality in comparison.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #11,450 of 48,565
I don't agree about the KSC35. I've had it break on me twice now. The KSC75, I've never had a problem with except driver rattle. :frowning2: Either way, Koss has a lifetime warranty, though it's not worthwhile on the 75, as just sending it in is basically near the cost of buying a new one. The KSC35 though goes for $45, so it is worth getting fixed, as it's only 8$.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #11,452 of 48,565
Quote:
I don't agree about the KSC35. I've had it break on me twice now. The KSC75, I've never had a problem with except driver rattle.
frown.gif
Either way, Koss has a lifetime warranty, though it's not worthwhile on the 75, as just sending it in is basically near the cost of buying a new one. The KSC35 though goes for $45, so it is worth getting fixed, as it's only 8$.

I have been very lucky then with the KSC35 then. I have put mine through hell and back.

amazon.ca had a sale last month on the KSC75 for 12 bucks I am kicking myself for not ordering another 3 pairs.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #11,453 of 48,565
That sounds cool, but I think I'll pass. I'd rather put those $20 towards something more worthwhile for me. The V-Moda m80 looks yummy, although I also need a headphone (or iem)/ with a mic to use with my phone (as well as Vita). I was looking into the seenheiser momentum. That and/or the audiofly a56.

The Momentum looks real nice (I even like the color), haven't had a chance to handle them first hand tho. The M-80's come with two cables, one with mic/button and one without, and a real nice case. Does the Vita have BT?

I've been using my Koss clip-ons, my IEMs, and even the M-80 with a clip-on Bluetooth receiver (Sony MW600) so that I'm free to handle my phone and slip it in and out of pocket without the cable dangling. It's particularly nice with the M-80 since they have a removable cable, so I can I just use a very short cable and clip the thing on my sleeve/collar/pocket with no slack.

I think Bluetooth's come a long way, I'd never bother with it at home but for portable use the convenience quite outweighs the slight degree of compression IMO... I need to compare the MW600 output to my Clip Zip using my Etys.

The main draw with the KSC75 is how unobtrusive it is. It simply disappears on your head, in that you can do ANYTHING, and they will stay in place. They're small enough to sleep with, and don't hurt the way IEMs do. The only IEM I can stand is the JVC Marshmallows, and you probably know they aren't the best sounding IEMs out there.

I've never actually tried sleeping in them, not sure I'd want to... But I've got big ears and I roll around a lot when I sleep. I think I'd end up with a clip poking me somewhere it shouldn't if they come off... :p

I just use my CX300 since they're the smallest IEM I've got and the least I care about, I don't find IEM uncomfortable in general tho (the Ety's took some getting used to but that's about it...).

The KSC75 are definitely good enough for active use tho, possibly more so than IEM for a lot of people, and they handle gaming like few portables can.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #11,455 of 48,565
Quote:
That's Panty from "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt", and yes, it is where you think it is. Lol.

It is what I thought it was *nose bleeds* haha. So odd, yet, want to watch :wink:

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #11,456 of 48,565
Quote:
Chewynuts,
Shi-tren was indeed a good friend, self-assured and a great reflection on your country. I also picked up the habit of keeping a window open for fresh air whenever possible from him, and a love for StarCraft/DotA.

The U3 I mentioned simulates surround using Dolby, but the X-Fi Go! uses CMSS-3D, so I was making virtual surround suggestions. Creative's solutions do indeed have the advantage of height surround in addition to front/back/sides, but just so you know the new Z-series cards have moved from CMSS-3D to SBX Pro Studio Surround. SBX still has full 3D surround (while Dolby is 2D), but I don't yet know anyone who's given a full review on it. SBX may just be a rename of THX TruStudio Pro that creative used in their last generation cards (notice how similar the names are), dropping the THX brand name to save a few $$. So far I enjoy THX the best of all the headphone simulations I've heard. I'd love to hear what you think of the new cards
smily_headphones1.gif

I was interested in the DT880 myself, they're reviewed as very transparent and balanced. My taste! I thought you wanted more bass & treble, a "smiley face" frequency response. Regardless, the DT880 is a very well-reviewed headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

I was in luck and my floormates owned a pair of DT880 (32ohm) and DT990 (no idea which ohm). Unexpectedly enough, I think the Beyerdynamic treble is too hot for me in general. Do you think thw Q701 will have a more natural sound with flatter treble and fuller mid-range?

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #11,457 of 48,565
Quote:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2011/11/14/output-impedance-show-and-tell

Hey man, here's a Sound + Vision article about amp output impedance (and headphone impedance in general) that's probably a much easier read than the links I PM'd you earlier. It's not as technical as some other articles on the matter and it glosses over a couple of facts but it IS technically accurate for the most part and the author uses some very good analogies.

Even the frequency response examples are very easy to follow and they perfectly illustrate why some headphones are more affected by an amp with high output impedance than others.

The only thing I don't really agree with is the conclusion, it makes it out to be a matter of taste to an extent... Which is fine, some people love high output impedance tube amps for these very reasons, but that makes sound reproduction a combination of your amp + headphones and anyone without the same exact amp won't hear the same thing even if they have the same headphones.

An amp with a low output impedance is less likely to impart it's own coloring to the sound so it's all up to your headphones to do that. Output impedance for speakers is sort of standardized for this reason (and the article touches on why it's never happened for headphones, it's practical and market reasons more than anything, not a technical hurdle).

Edit: An amp with high output impedance will also interact differently with various headphones whereas the low output impedance amp will be more consistent (or compatible if you will).

It's not, really a new concept, it's just been getting renewed attention as people demand more transparency from amp manufacturers and more companies jump into the game. Tyll was bemoaning the same exact situation over ten years ago on Head Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/17238/headphone-impedance-vs-headphone-jack-impedance

Well, it has somewhat stuck with me now. I think I understand enough of it. Thank you very much sir.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #11,458 of 48,565
I was in luck and my floormates owned a pair of DT880 (32ohm) and DT990 (no idea which ohm). Unexpectedly enough, I think the Beyerdynamic treble is too hot for me in general. Do you think thw Q701 will have a more natural sound with flatter treble and fuller mid-range?

Yes. But the upper mids on the Q701 may still be fatiguing. Still a lot more easy on the ears than tbe Beyers. The Annie though is non-fatiguing all the time. Think of it as the best alternative tk the DT880 if you liked it other than the treble.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #11,459 of 48,565
Quote:
Hello, im a longtime reader but first time posting here and relatively new to the audio world.  Im no way an audiophile but have appreciation for sound and music. 

Thanks Mad Lust for creating an awesome guide.  I've been reading all your reviews for 3 weeks and am still fascinated by your reviews.

Yet
Got a concern:
I've had the Steelseries Siberia v2 for two years now and I've just bought a new pair of Senns HD650.  When I listened to them side by side, I could hardly tell the difference except that the Senns are BARELY better than the v2 in terms of Richer sounds and being more detailed in the mids.  I've also noticed the v2 are slightly more muddied in their mids and highs but their bass is very low.  The 650's bass is punchier but not as emphasized as v2.

Im a bit disappointed with the comparison because its not THAT big of a difference.  However, I've only compared them to my normal onboard soundcard in my pc and not an amp yet.  I currently do not have a headphone amp, but when I purchase one, will I see an even more big of a difference?  Also, the HD650's are new so they're not 'burned in' much.  Would that help as well?

btw, Im thinking of getting the Schiit MAGNI/MODI combo.  Will that be ok for my new Senn's?

Thank you very much guys, much appreciated.

Depending on the onboard sound you have you might get a better deal going for an ASUS essence ST/STX soundcard initially than the DAC/AMP combo (especially if you're into gaming as well). The card should drive the headphones well, plus you get the surround sound for gaming, movies etc as well as a decent DAC for your music.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm pointing you in the wrong direction. 

FYI: I use Titanium HD soundcard, O2/ODAC amp/dac with my HD650's - the titanium doesn't quite have the amp power the cans need, but the ASUS should meaning you can forego the external amp until later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back