Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #11,371 of 48,562
Quote:
Nothing, seems to work fine with the iphone headset

Sounds like you bought a HEADPHONE splitter and not a HEADSET splitter. A headphone splitter splits the audio so 2 sets of headphones can be used to listen to the same source. A headset splitter splits a headset jack (i.e. iphone headset jack) into a headphone jack and a microphone jack so you can use a headset that uses a headphone plug and microphone plug.
This is the correct Y-Splitter that you should be using: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MUYHSMFF-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ/

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #11,373 of 48,562
Sounds like you bought a HEADPHONE splitter and not a HEADSET splitter. A headphone splitter splits the audio so 2 sets of headphones can be used to listen to the same source. A headset splitter splits a headset jack (i.e. iphone headset jack) into a headphone jack and a microphone jack so you can use a headset that uses a headphone plug and microphone plug.
This is the correct Y-Splitter that you should be using: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MUYHSMFF-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B004SP0WAQ/
ir

Guess you are right. Didn't think of that. The mixamp I purchased did not bring a female to male adapter.

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #11,374 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, maybe I read it wrong too. Here it is, straight from the V-667 manual:

Hmmm, it is poorly worded but I would read that more as the output it can provide when used with headphones of a given impedance - i.e. with 8ohm headphones and a signal at 1kHz, the reciever can provide a 50mV output. The ellipsis represents the range of headphone impedances the reciever can drive (so from 8ohm headphones up to 560ohm). What this means for the impedance of the headphone jack I'm not entirely sure but if they are listing an output level for headphones as low as 8ohms then I would assume the impedance on the jack is nominal.

Again, I'm not entirely sure as I'm no expert but that's my interpretation. I believe Schiit used to provide info on the jack impedance of their amps in a similar manner until enough people complained about it.

On an entirely different note: My X1's are due to arrive tomorrow! Will put a post up sometime after I get them with my impressions though I'll only have my memory of the HD650 and my current set of PC360's for comparison (might be able to grab a friend's Q701s but that's not guranteed).

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #11,375 of 48,562
Lust what games do you play on xbox?

Johnson! I've been fooling around on Xbox all afternoon! Why didn't you inv me to party or something? I think I even sent you an invite while you were on the dashboard. I could've told you about the optical cable too!

The optical cable has enough bandith for the DD 5.1 surround, you have been feeding it only 2 channels of audio.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #11,376 of 48,562
Do you have a multimeter? It should be pretty easy (I would think?- I haven't actually done this myself) to measure the output impedance if you have one. Just use a male to male headphone cable and measure from the exposed side?

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #11,378 of 48,562
Quote:
I dont have a digital optical cable for my dss so I use the aux in using a 3.5mm cable. Due to this, the dolby digital doesnt turn on, only the plix light. Does this affect my sound or no. If so should I buy a digital optic cable or will it sound the same.

Oh my...

: |

...Yes
smile.gif

BTW, if you game on a HDTV, you shouldn't use composite cables either.  I recommend HDMI
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #11,379 of 48,562
Quote:
Johnson! I've been fooling around on Xbox all afternoon! Why didn't you inv me to party or something? I think I even sent you an invite while you were on the dashboard. I could've told you about the optical cable too!

The optical cable has enough bandith for the DD 5.1 surround, you have been feeding it only 2 channels of audio.

I tried joining you actually. I have a connection problem with my modem and some people. It happens every once in a while. I have the next 2 days off so ill try to fix it.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #11,380 of 48,562
Lust what games do you play on xbox?

No longer have an Xbox, sadly. I only play CoD and Castlevania Harmony of Despair online (both Xbox and PS3). Otherwise, I'm a single player kind of guy.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #11,381 of 48,562
I have a. Multimeter... But I don't know how to really set that up.

What meter is it? It's not very hard, should have two leads and a dial that selects what you measure (unless it's a fancier unit). It's not as simple as just hooking it up to a male-to-male cable tho, you need a resistor to compare with/without and an appropriate sample audio file (and then do some basic math).

I'd post a link but the place where I've seen it explained best is at he-who-shall-not-be-named's blog, and I already got one warning from a mod for linking to that. Tyll has a nice article about it at Innerfidelity too bit it's ironically penned by the same person so I dunno if that's fair game or not.

This whole censorship issue is kinda ridiculous but whatever, I can PM some links if ya want.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #11,384 of 48,562
What cable? Ethernet? I used those removable slot hooks they sell at Home Depot, one every three feet or so, so it holds the cable steady with minimum droop. Ran it along the wall near the roof. Lemme take a pic of one...

Edit: They sell all sorts of different ones for different purposes, I'm using the most discrete (middle one) for an ethernet cable + phone extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back