Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #10,996 of 48,578
Quote:
Ah, I had no clue. Maybe a firmware upgrade fixes this? What's different with the Marantz as opposed to the HK?

NIB?

How does it compare to a HK?

It was an issue with fault ports. In many peoples opinions, Marantz receivers have a better and cleaner sound than HK. I may partly biased because all the receivers in my house are D&M Holdings branded. 
smily_headphones1.gif

New in Box.

Never listened to an HK with DH but the Marantz sounds great compared to a Mixamp.

-Erik

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #10,997 of 48,578
Quote:

It was an issue with fault ports. In many peoples opinions, Marantz receivers have a better and cleaner sound than HK. I may partly biased because all the receivers in my house are D&M Holdings branded. 
smily_headphones1.gif

New in Box.

Never listened to an HK with DH but the Marantz sounds great compared to a Mixamp.

-Erik

Maybe edit your post to reflect that, because I bet some people wouldn't buy the receiver based on that alone. I bet they do. I checked one out. 32-bits!? That's the biggest thing I noticed. Ah, got it. Why do you think it sounds great compared to the mixamp? Power? Internals? I'm betting both. Is it DD vs PCM? Also, which Marantz receivers have Dolby HP? I'd really like to keep this $300 or less.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #10,999 of 48,578
Hmm, it's louder than the Q701, probably due to the better seal of the pads. I'm still not sure on the Mixamp alone. I know those drivers are notorious for wanting a lot of power, and the Q7021/K701/2 take a steep dive in volume once voice chat is mixed in...

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #11,000 of 48,578
Quote:
Maybe edit your post to reflect that, because I bet some people wouldn't buy the receiver based on that alone. I bet they do. I checked one out. 32-bits!? That's the biggest thing I noticed. Ah, got it. Why do you think it sounds great compared to the mixamp? Power? Internals? I'm betting both. Is it DD vs PCM? Also, which Marantz receivers have Dolby HP? I'd really like to keep this $300 or less.

Not sure which part of what I said you were talking about. What is 32-bits?

As for another reason I like Marantz and Denon, is they state their TRUE continuous power ratings. You can go here to get an idea of what I mean. Also the dac's they use are typically top of the line for each price point. As for finding one, I suggest you find one and then lookup the manual and check if it has Dolby Headphone as some of them don't state it very well in the specs. Also, I STRONGLY suggest looking on craigslist. There is a local guy with an SR5004 for $200, which makes me want to sell my SR5002 and snag it, lol.

-Erik

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #11,001 of 48,578
Quote:

Not sure which part of what I said you were talking about. What is 32-bits?

As for another reason I like Marantz and Denon, is they state their TRUE continuous power ratings. You can go here to get an idea of what I mean. Also the dac's they use are typically top of the line for each price point. As for finding one, I suggest you find one and then lookup the manual and check if it has Dolby Headphone as some of them don't state it very well in the specs. Also, I STRONGLY suggest looking on craigslist. There is a local guy with an SR5004 for $200, which makes me want to sell my SR5002 and snag it, lol.

-Erik

No, I was talking about the faulty HDMI port. The DAC is 32-bits. It said it on the Ebay page that MLE purchased from. I was gonna ask, but I read and understand. Wow. I see. That's a big point. Ugh, that's so much work. I'll look on Craigs then.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #11,002 of 48,578
AGhhgh!!

SoAmusing777, too much "multi-quoting!"

You've got several posts on the previous page that each have 8-10 other messages quoted inside!

Trim down your posts plzzz 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #11,003 of 48,578
Quote:
AGhhgh!!

SoAmusing777, too much "multi-quoting!"

You've got several posts on the previous page that each have 8-10 other messages quoted inside!

Trim down your posts plzzz 
regular_smile .gif

Eh. I do what I can.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #11,004 of 48,578
So I sold the Mixamp 5.8. I'll see about getting the Annie review out Sunday...

Long story short:

Fun: 8
Competitive: 9.5
Comfort: 9.5

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #11,005 of 48,578
Quote:
I'll see about getting the Annie review out Sunday...

Long story short:

Those are very high scores
biggrin.gif

But, you also gave the CAL an 8, so would you say they're equally good??  How can the anniversary be any better if it's also 8?????? 

JK
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #11,006 of 48,578
Damn you, Chico! :mad:

Dang, I sold the Mixamp on ebay, so while I already know what I'm gonna say, I need to take one last hour with the Mixamp before dropping it off at the mail service for a quick refresher of the Annie. Don't think im getting the Marantz for a few weeks. Dunno how long ebay takes...

Expect the review of the Annie on Sunday, maaaaaybe today/Saturday.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #11,007 of 48,578
Quote:
So I sold the Mixamp 5.8. I'll see about getting the Annie review out Sunday...

Long story short:

Oh, how did you get them sold? High scores indeed!
Quote:

Those are very high scores
biggrin.gif

But, you also gave the CAL an 8, so would you say they're equally good??  How can the anniversary be any better if it's also 8?????? 

JK
wink.gif

Oh, you're really funny, lol.

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #11,008 of 48,578
Quote:
Damn you, Chico!
mad.gif

Dang, I sold the Mixamp on ebay, so while I already know what I'm gonna say, I need to take one last hour with the Mixamp before dropping it off at the mail service for a quick refresher of the Annie. Don't think im getting the Marantz for a few weeks. Dunno how long ebay takes...

Expect the review of the Annie on Sunday, maaaaaybe today/Saturday.

Ebay shouldn't take that long.  I've gotten stuff super fast before, but it depends on how far away it's coming from and whether the seller is lazy about putting it in the mail.  Good sellers will put it in the next day and it will get there as fast as the post office can send it.

I don't see why it would take a few weeks, unless it's international...

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #11,009 of 48,578
Quote:
I think trying out the M-stage straight from his Phoebus or a DGX first makes a lot of sense... They have a pretty decent DAC, unless you're spending a few hundred bucks on a discrete DAC you might not reap any benefit from having another device in the chain.

I'm quite happy with my STX, tho I've been eyeing something like the N22 to power a pair of spare Infinity bookshelves I have and simultaneously drive some of my lower impedance headphones (possibly better than the 10 ohm output STX can).

I don't really use my other hp much at my desk tho, the M-80 occasionally if the neighbors are having a party... But that might change if I splurge on the X1 later in the year, been for an alternative to my Beyers, possibly something that would be fun for movie watching.

To answer you earlier questions, the M-Stage got here today, so its already bought. Im copying my post from Nameless' thread:

****Eh, so my M-Stage came today (Wasnt expecting it) which caused me to have a mad dash to Microcenter before they closed, and they only had the Creative Z, not the DGX, like I want. So i bought it and brought it home. Currently have it set up like: Z->Front speaker line out (On back of card)-> RCA-> M-Stage-> Annies.

Its the same as the Phoebus. Creative's SBX Pro Studio has a "Surround Sound" Slider that you can adjust how much surround you want. Its just like Dolby HTV4, and not as good as Dolby Headphone.

I dont understand why they seem to be getting rid of discrete 5.1->stereo technologies in favor of these "surround sound" emulators.

Ill be returning it tomorrow to get a DGX from another Microcenter.*****

Boy, I just want this to be over. Hopefully Ill have the DGX tomorrow, and will use DGX-Line out-> M-stage- Annies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back