Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #10,861 of 48,562
Hey MLE, I'm a long time lurker of this thread and have had to return to get advice on replacing a failing set of PC360's
frown.gif

Originally I had my heart set on the HE-400's but now with you having got hold of the Annies I'm thinking along the same lines as seemingly everyone else in here and wanna get hold of them instead!

But the only thing that's stopping me is the Philips Fidelio X1's, now I know you haven't heard them but you've stated in the thread for them that you would consider giving up the HE-400 for them - what I wanna know is why? What are you hoping to get out of them over the 400's? The only comparison for them that has stuck in my mind is someone comparing them to the Q701 and saying that they added the bass the Q701 always lacked, which (rather annoyingly for me XD) is what most people seem to say about the Annie. 

I'm in the UK so I can get hold of the X1's far more easily than I can the Annies, the HE-400's and the Annies would be about the same price and the X1's would be about 20% less.

Any input would be appreciated, I'm leaning towards the Annies because I know what I'm getting (there are far more comparisons from others) but they are rapidly running out of stock at the two places I can get them from.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #10,862 of 48,562
Quote:
CAL and SR850 are pretty different sound-signature wise... The JVC HA-RX700 are another a good budget alternative for semi closed fun sounding headphones for gaming (not as refined as the CAL, better built tho). If you're more into competitive stuff and looking for that extra edge from positional cues you're better off with the Samson tho. CAL's priced higher than either but they're still a strong value at under $100. Haven't heard the Panasonic.

Thanks, i'll try to get the samson, btw amazon is selling the CAL and Samson to the same price $59.99...

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #10,863 of 48,562
Quote:
I got the Samson's delivered to the door (2 pack) for <$60 in Australia. Got a set of velour pads for them off ebay as well (order was for the equivelent Superlux model)

They sound absolutely awesome for the price and are very well reviewed (often comparable to $200 headphones)

I think it worked out about $35 a set with the velour pads (and this is imported into Australia - I think the cans were $10 plus $30 in postage)

Funny you should be asking about them - I was just thinking of trying to work out a way to get a set to MLE to try out. I think they definitely deserve a review and would love to hear what he thinks of them. They bat well above their weight.

Thank you so much, I'll buy the Samson, do you have any recommendation of velour ear pads for them on amazon? I'm from Venezuela and I can only buy on that web page.

I thought the Monoprice or panasonic were good choice, is more easy to find replacement ear pads for those models...

I think maybe these can fit, but they are very expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT990VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XEYT6G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358352294&sr=8-4&keywords=velour+ear+pads

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #10,864 of 48,562
What I want is wireless HDMI, optical, audio, etc, as long as quality remains 100% the same as wired. Come on technology!

You could check out actiontec mywireless tv. I have several of them throughout the house sending feeds to various places and they do very well. Not sure the exact application you want wireless hdmi for, but they can found for ~$80 or less on ebay from time to time.

-Erik

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #10,866 of 48,562
Is there a wait-list for the K702AE yet?

Huh? They're already on sale from various sources worldwide...

Since the PC 360 and HD598 get the same rating and same category, are they the same cans just with a mic on the PC 360?

My understanding is that they're built pretty much the same as either the 598 or the older 595. They might've been released before the 598 tho so I dunno if it's just in between design wise or whatever.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #10,867 of 48,562
Lol, I think he means my loaning them out to certain people.

Raven, I don't think I'd wanna add more people than I have, especially for the Annie.

My Annie wait list is the same, with the addition of Matt. I guess I can add you too, but instead of 7 days, you guy would get 4. I would start getting antsy being away from the Annies for so long.

I'll consider it.

As for what I'm hoping for out of the X1 over the HE400, is similar warmth, with smoother treble, more comfort, while being bassy.

Sort of like an HD650 with more bass.

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll be too similar to the Annie though.

Oh yes, I wanna clarify about the Annie's bass. When I say more present, I dont mean like it in a pure quantitive way. It's more filled out, you can say. Not that the mid bass is to the point of smothering detail. I feel like the bass was rounded out, and extended quite a bit more. There's simply more of it in the way that it fills out the sound properly.

So dont think that of you're happy with the Q701's bass that the Annie will sound bloated or sloppy. The Annie still sounds like an AKG. The biggest difference was the added weight in the bass, and thickening of the sound overall. It does make it sound like a Q701/HD650 hybrid, with bass that is more rounded off than either.

I'd really need to hear the HD650 again to be 100 percent sure on the bass though.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #10,868 of 48,562
Quote:
I got my Annies today. 

Funny enough I prefer listening to music more on them then gaming as of right now vs my DT990pros. I am an immersion gamer though. They do sound fantastic off my E9K/E17 and also on the mixamp with E9K. I know I just have to get used to real bass not over tuned mid bass. Also getting to used to having mids again, the cut scenes in Halo4 take on a whole new level just hearing characters talk so clearly.

Also vehicles in Forza Horizon sound more realistic now, instead of every car sounding like it had a giant pack of angry bassy honey bees growling at you. Which means on asphalt roads I can actually hear a car reaching its tire limit. Forza like other console racers still has the tire screech on dirt. 
confused.gif

If anyone says the AKGs Annies are light on bass. Just make them listen to F-Stop Blues by Jack Johnson and that will set the record straight.

Sweet! Thanks :) I got mine in today as well (read response to Nameless below).
Quote:
I'm not so sure about that...the best sound quality in the world means nothing if the headphones just aren't comfortable enough to wear for hours on end and practically make me forget I'm wearing headphones at all. Comfort is critical.

On the flip side, paying $200-300 more for a more comfortable version of the same thing would be ridiculous. At least the K702 65th apparently has a refined enough audio presentation to try and warrant its price increase, along with the improved comfort.

Also, there are plenty of affordable headphones that have great long-term comfort. The Audio-Technica AD series springs to mind.

Yes it is ridiculous, and that is exactly what I was saying, lol. Exactly. It's also limited edition, lol. I got mine in today via Fedex at 10:30. I went back to sleep once I signed for them. I was up super late. I'll be auditioning them later today. I'm off for three days straight after tomorrow so don't stone me to death guys, lol.
Quote:
Order for the HE400...

Nameless
Chicolom
Evs
Calpis

I'm missing someone, right? Better go check that post.

I feel like I should be in that list for some reason, lol, but I'm "new", even though I don't feel like it. Btw, my number is 732.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #10,869 of 48,562
Quote:
As for what I'm hoping for out of the X1 over the HE400, is similar warmth, with smoother treble, more comfort, while being bassy.

Sort of like an HD650 with more bass.

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll be too similar to the Annie though.

Oh yes, I wanna clarify about the Annie's bass. When I say more present, I dont mean like it in a pure quantitive way. It's more filled out, you can say. Not that the mid bass is to the point of smothering detail. I feel like the bass was rounded out, and extended quite a bit more. There's simply more of it in the way that it fills out the sound properly.

So dont think that of you're happy with the Q701's bass that the Annie will sound bloated or sloppy. The Annie still sounds like an AKG. The biggest difference was the added weight in the bass, and thickening of the sound overall. It does make it sound like a Q701/HD650 hybrid, with bass that is more rounded off than either.

I'd really need to hear the HD650 again to be 100 percent sure on the bass though.

That sounds awesome. Yeah, it sure does sound similar to the Annie. Good description :)

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #10,870 of 48,562
I'm getting a ridiculous amount of questions via pm that can be answered here by others as well as myself. From now on, I won't be replying to those messages. It's too many, and all asking things answered on the guide. That flooding of pms is driving me crazy, lol. Of course, pms not pertaining to the guide are fine. :ph34r:

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #10,871 of 48,562
Hi everyone,
Is the DT990 250ohm really worth it's price, I mean sound leaks ,isolation is not so great, for everydays life its not really helpfull and I was wondering what would be the closest closed sounding cans to the DT990, I have not so great audio experience and want to get something that would fit most of my needs,
-Zepic

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #10,872 of 48,562
That's ok, I'd only need like 1-2 days at most-- if I wanted to try it out in the first place, I'm still thinking about it.  I just want to hear an an open AKG, but if I've done my interpolating correctly, the LCD-2 should be what my end-game headphone should sound like.  Maybe if I don't like it for whatever reason, then I'd possibly consider trying out something else.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #10,873 of 48,562
Hi everyone,
Is the DT990 250ohm really worth it's price, I mean sound leaks ,isolation is not so great, for everydays life its not really helpfull and I was wondering what would be the closest closed sounding cans to the DT990, I have not so great audio experience and want to get something that would fit most of my needs,
-Zepic

None of that is really specific to the DT 990 tho, just the nature of open headphones in general (which comprises most of the higher end models in this thread besides a few exceptions like the Denon D's, DT 770, etc.). Obviously if you can't use open headphones due to your environment then none of them are worth the money to you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #10,874 of 48,562
What closed headphones for "fun" and a bit competetive gaming would you suggest then. Are the denons AH-D7000 or AH-D5000 good for these types of gaming? Is the bass immersive?
-Zepic

Quote:
None of that is really specific to the DT 990 tho, just the nature of open headphones in general (which comprises most of the higher end models in this thread besides a few exceptions like the Denon D's, DT 770, etc.). Obviously if you can't use open headphones due to your empowerment then none of them are worth the money to you.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #10,875 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm getting a ridiculous amount of questions via pm that can be answered here by others as well as myself. From now on, I won't be replying to those messages. It's too many, and all asking things answered on the guide. That flooding of pms is driving me crazy, lol. Of course, pms not pertaining to the guide are fine.
ph34r.gif

That sucks.  You should put that anti-PM spamming message on the top of the OP somewhere.  Hopefully it can thin it out the PM storm some.
No UNSOLICITED private messages asking about gaming headphones, please. Ask questions on the guide itself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back