Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 13, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #10,756 of 48,562
Im fairly certain the street price on the X1 will go down by a bit. Philips doesn't have the price restrictions that other companies have.

Realistically, I expect them to sell for $300-350 in the near future.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #10,757 of 48,562
Quote:
You mainly need it for the HDMI though right? 80 dollars, what a steal.

Yeah, really wanted that extra HDMI slot. But another bonus is that it does DTS MA and Dolby HD and also the switch from a blue lit volume and power to a white. The menu system and on screen stuff is also much much better.
Quote:
Dang man. That is one heck of a steal. How is Dolby Headphone on that through HDMI?
I was thinking the same exact things.

Same as it was with the 247?

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #10,758 of 48,562
Played around with the ie8's off just the mixamp. Was a nice experience not having a huge headset on my head, but still getting a surprisingly big soundstage out of them. They have a noticably more punchy bass and midbass, but the treble sounds similar to the beyers. Sounded awesome on the "pro" eq setting, because the others make the bass really over the top. Directional ques were extremely easy to pick up when surrounding in game noise wasn't very hectic. But because of the smaller soundstage, when gameplay got hectic sounds were harder to separate. 
For competitive play, ill stick to the beyers.

ie8's havent given up on surprising me, because they sounded great on music and watching some action scenes from the 300 blu-ray.

Didn't really learn anything too groundbreaking, but man was it fun! :D

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #10,759 of 48,562
Hey MLE, this is a great comparison and an excellent resource for anyone trying to get some good feedback on the various headphones/headsets out there. Do you think you could get hold of the new Sennheiser PC 363D to review? They look like they might be a good option as they come bundled with a Dolby Headphone sound card. I am considering them at the moment but would be interested to know what you think of them.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #10,761 of 48,562
I've decided that the Stax SR-009 is my dream headphone. Obviously I don't have the money for it right now, but someday...

That's MANY people's dream headphone. It's literally like the best headphone in the world, lol. My dream headphone is the D7000 with velours that don't alter the sound signature. Seriously.

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #10,762 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey MLE, this is a great comparison and an excellent resource for anyone trying to get some good feedback on the various headphones/headsets out there. Do you think you could get hold of the new Sennheiser PC 363D to review? They look like they might be a good option as they come bundled with a Dolby Headphone sound card. I am considering them at the moment but would be interested to know what you think of them.

The DH sound card only works for PC, not for consoles. MLE isn't much of a PC gamer...

-Erik

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #10,763 of 48,562
Hi

I'm new on this forum and sorry for ma language, soon i will buy soundcard, headphones and tube amp. I think about:

Creative Titanium HD
Little Dot MK IV SE
Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm

This is good idea? 

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #10,764 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm new on this forum and sorry for ma language, soon I will buy sound card, headphones and tube amp. I think about:
Creative Titanium HD
Little Dot MK IV SE
Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm
This is good idea? 

Looks good to me.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #10,765 of 48,562
Quote:
Yeah, really wanted that extra HDMI slot. But another bonus is that it does DTS MA and Dolby HD and also the switch from a blue lit volume and power to a white. The menu system and on screen stuff is also much much better.
Same as it was with the 247?

It was a dumb question. I got mixed up. I thought you used only DD 5.1 on your previous AVR. Mah bad.
Quote:
Played around with the ie8's off just the mixamp. Was a nice experience not having a huge headset on my head, but still getting a surprisingly big soundstage out of them. They have a noticably more punchy bass and midbass, but the treble sounds similar to the beyers. Sounded awesome on the "pro" eq setting, because the others make the bass really over the top. Directional ques were extremely easy to pick up when surrounding in game noise wasn't very hectic. But because of the smaller soundstage, when gameplay got hectic sounds were harder to separate. 
For competitive play, ill stick to the beyers.

ie8's havent given up on surprising me, because they sounded great on music and watching some action scenes from the 300 blu-ray.

Didn't really learn anything too groundbreaking, but man was it fun! :D

Just realized that using IEM's for gaming wouldn't work because I need a place for the mic to go, lol. I guess if it was the inline mic thing it would work, but lots of them don't have that. Maybe a clip on then. Anyway, interesting about the soundstage and ques. I'd like to have IEM's for portability/workout purposes.
Quote:
I've decided that the Stax SR-009 is my dream headphone. Obviously I don't have the money for it right now, but someday...

The top of the line Stax. Nice.

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #10,766 of 48,562
Quote:
Aw blast, I didn't even realize I forgot the C. Oh well, only said what we all think when we read it anyway. Serious marketing balls of steel there.

I like IPS monitors, they do pretty well. I haven't seen OLED screens before (though I thought some DSLR cameras had them?). However, I have NEVER seen picture quality like I get with my Panasonic Plasma. Panasonic inherited (bought) Pioneer's Plasma tech, which was the best in the world. Samsung has developed their plasmas to be very good and almost as great as the Panasonic/Pioneer sets, but... Well, my 42" plasma really astounds me.

This is a completely serious review: all LCD HDTVs (even the best LEDs from Samsung & Sony) look a little gray to me in comparison, and my plasma just has this "Pop!" to the richness of the color because of the contrast. I love silver-emulsion prints, but I was so impressed with seeing my photography on my Plasma that I incorporated it into my senior art show for college. Turn off all the image enhancing and feed it a native resolution signal, and the plasma has less lag and more distinct motion for gaming second only to CRT TVs. There are also a lot of myths about Plasma TVs... If you look up power consumption, they consume less watts than a chandelier, image burn-in is only about as likely as on a CRT TV (mfrs also implement prevention and "clearing" tools), and they last for 100,000 hours. If you use the TV for 8 hours a day, every day, the Plasma would be only able to reach half-brightness by 30 years. 30 years is a long time for TVs, at least in this day where the next "big upgrade!
eek.gif
" is right around the corner.

The only negative, at least some people say, is that if you take a still image and slowly pan it (slide or zoom the image around), sometimes you see a "screen door" effect between the pixels. It's subtle though, and I'm sure that Panasonic has improved on that (higher pixel density helps). I don't see it on my set, 720p at 42", that I got for $400 two years ago while working at Sears (yay employee discount!). Oh, and you have to keep it upright, even during brief transport. My next computer monitor will be an IPS, professionally calibrated, but if I had to get another TV right now it would be a Panny Plasma.

It's sitting in a box in our basement right now :'(

As far as a mic adapter... I'm not sure? The Recon3D transmits PS3 chat audio over USB :p
Couldn't you just plug in a USB mic that has it's own stand or something? I don't know, I don't have a PS3 so I can't experiment :p
How would you use a Mixamp or whatever processor through HDMI anyway? Would it have HDMI Input and output, so you can pass the video signal along? At that point you're basically using the processor like a receiver, anyway. I guess I wish more that companies selling receivers would improve their headphone surround processing :/ Silent Cinema is almost there, my preference would just be they diminished the reverb/echo and... Nope, that's pretty much it.

Mad, in case you ever wondered, Silent Cinema (lol I keep trying to type "Scilent Cinema") sounds almost just like DH in the (in)famous Crysis 2 YouTube vid, except you can adjust the tone and amount of reverb (haven't tried turning the "Action Game" DSP strength down all the way yet, I decided at some point that I could live with -3 "dB").

Somebody's killing a guitar downstairs!
eek.gif

I know it's an old post Ev, but I just wanted to say I had the DSP to +3, and turning it down reallllyyy helped. Thanks, lol.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #10,767 of 48,562
Well, I just won a bid on eBay for a used Mixamp. I don't know what version it is (hopefully it is the 2011 version). I don't think it really matters much anyway since I plan to use it exclusively with the Wii (5.1 via Pro Logic II). I've made up my mind and I'm probably going to keep mine. Well, maybe not keep it exactly as I may send my own away and maybe get another (used) one, but the principle in the same. I'm sending mine because of the saved games (Brawl) with most of the characters and other content unlocked. That way they can begin having fun right away.

By the way, that bid was crazy. I ended up paying $81 and change for it after shipping charges and my bid registered three seconds after the last bidder and one second before it closed.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #10,768 of 48,562
I want to sell my creative extigy. Where would that go in the for sale part here? Which thread?

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #10,769 of 48,562
Wanting chicolom's setup, I ended up hunting down a 32" Sammy instead of his 40" (smaller so my eyeball won't burn), same model series, TS01 panel at Best Buy on clearance for $379.99.  For those who want a 40", Costco has them with TS02 panel for a bit over $500.  Costco also has the Sylvania Mosaic Flexible Light strip that look identical to the ones he has, but only at $29.99 for four 2-feet strips.  I swear, even the remote is identical in color and button layout to his.  I'm installing it on a 55" Vizio so I ended up getting an additional two 2-feet extension kit on Amazon for $16.99.  I'm going to get another kit from Costco just for the 32" Sammy.

Quote:
What do you guys use for backlighting? I just can't find anything worthy. I tried those ikea strips once, but they died pretty fast. Not to mention it was a PITA removing them from the TV/monitor...

BTW chico, that screen looks very good!

I would like to know as well because that looks amazing Chico.

Thanks!

I got the LED lights from a place called "Volka Lighting":
http://volkalighting.com.au/ledstore/products/Ambient-Back-Light-for-TV-or-Home-Theater-RGB-Kit-with-Remote.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ambient-Mood-LED-Light-Home-Theatre-TV-Ready-RGB-Kit-IR-Remote-/251031997798?pt=US_Stage_Lighting_Single_Units&hash=item3a72ac4d66

It comes in a little kit that is easy to hook up.
What's cool about it is that changes colors and dims/brightnes via a remote 
biggrin.gif
  You have to point it behind the TV though since the IR receiver is back there #firstworldproblems

Quote:
That looks like a 40"! Its so big that I dont think its IPS, but maybe you're a baller like that, hahaha.

Chico, what computer desk is that? I'm trying to downscale and want one just like that, that only has enough space for a monitor and maybe that's it. Slide out keyboard/mouse piece is a necessity too. Im 6'2" though and I'm afraid that my big old self won't fit, lol.

Ya it's a 40".  Samsung UN40EH5000.  I got it a few months ago.  It's lovely.

I went with that TV because it's got an S-PVA panel (if you play the panel lottery correctly) and last time I checked S-PVA still has the lead for best black levels and contrast for LCDs.  IPS is good for viewing angles and color accuracy, but the blacks are lighter.  I also went with that particular set because it is not edge-lit, unlike the majority of TVs.  It's one of the few TVs that has a full array style backlight which means no backlight bleeding or flashlighting.

I'm not sure what the desk is.  I didn't buy it myself.  I like it because its nice and simple and clean and still has enough room to fit a TV up top.  It's also pretty deep.  I'm 6' and I fit OK.  I like having as much legroom as possible without any annoying computer/printer tray/shelf things down below.  I shove all the equipment off to the side to free up leg-room.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #10,770 of 48,562
Quote:
Wanting chicolom's setup, I ended up hunting down a 32" Sammy instead of his 40" (smaller so my eyeball won't burn), same model series, TS01 panel at Best Buy on clearance for $379.99.  For those who want a 40", Costco has them with TS02 panel for a bit over $500.  Costco also has the Sylvania Mosaic Flexible Light strip that look identical to the ones he has, but only at $29.99 for four 2-feet strips.  I swear, even the remote is identical in color and button layout to his.  I'm installing it on a 55" Vizio so I ended up getting an additional two 2-feet extension kit on Amazon for $16.99.  I'm going to get another kit from Costco just for the 32" Sammy.

Nice.

Have you been eyeing my posts on AVS forum? 
wink.gif

Good find on that "Sylvania Mosaic Flexible Light strip".  That looks pretty similar to the one I've got.  I'll have to bookmark that in case I need more.  I'm not seeing it for less than $40 online though, so maybe it's only $29 at the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back