Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 26, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #10,096 of 48,562
Absolutely. Q701 is richer and more pleasureable.

Bear in mind that I owned the old 7 bump K701. The newer K701 may actually be identical in sound to the Q701. I can't confirm or deny this, as this is constantly debated on Head-fi.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #10,097 of 48,562
Absolutely. Q701 is richer and more pleasureable.
Bear in mind that I owned the old 7 bump K701. The newer K701 may actually be identical in sound to the Q701. I can't confirm or deny this, as this is constantly debated on Head-fi.

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #10,098 of 48,562
Ummm, ya my bad on not including breaks. It looks pretty ridiculous. But ideally I don't want to include any more wires like another amp with the 701's.

I've heard nothing but good things about the PC 360's so I may just go with those. Best Buy has had them as 'sold out online' for about 3 weeks now. I am hoping they will be back in stock soon.

Due to 10" of snow dropped last night, no work today, I was able to get online again this morning and merk some Christmas noobs and my 2013 Mixamp is still working great with the PS3 cord.

I know in recent posts you, MLE, wrote you were having problems with the audio cutting out also. Have you tried a different power cord? Any success?

Another poster said something about the JVC RX900's as being excellent gaming headphones. Has anyone else tried them? Peaked my interest because of the price and the fact they are closed. Wife will appreciate closed.

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #10,099 of 48,562
peronsaly, i found the hd598 to be not that great with positional ques.  There is some excess plastic in the back of the headphone around the grill that i felt was restricting imaging in the back and therefor compressed the imaging slightly to the front.  Also i felt the headphone had a blooming problem and was not that detailed.  This lack of detail was fine for mp3 files and gave it an all around fun and energetic sound.  

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #10,100 of 48,562
Wow, how i wish I could have found this comprehensive guide geared toward console gaming 2 years ago before i bought my overpriced A40's. Atleast I have one piece of the puzzle (mixamp); however, need your personal advise on the amp to run my new akg q701's with Mic for xbl chat. Mainly just fps gamer and use to watch blurays all when family is sleeping.

Your pic shows those cans with fiio e09k, but found recent post that you recommended magni. Also whichever one you think is best do I need the e17 or modi dac?

New to non plug-and-play console headsets and just want to get it right this time. Father of 3 and its hard to keep convincing the wife to allow me to buy expensive replacements for items I already own.

Thank you

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #10,101 of 48,562
Right! So I've set up my DT990s and the DSS2. I've been playing quite a bit of mass effect 3 and battlefield 3 to test them out. They are a big step up from my Sennheiser 25's however I'm not sure their quite optimised yet. The bass in battlefield 3 is a bit lacking (unless I turn on the bass boost on the DSS2) and the treble is a bit harsh. 

On the other hand the bass in sound test videos on youtube is pretty nice. 

I'm wondering if I need to burn these in for quite a while before they sound optimised? Or maybe it's the lack of an amp? The thing is, they definitely go loud enough, so I'm not sure it's the amp.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #10,103 of 48,562
Quote:
Well my worries are mostly when adding voice chat, and not the Magni's ability to drive a headphone. The Magni should be fine for the vast majority. Just, dunno about driving headphones loud if you have a large tip towards voice chat on something like a Mixamp.

I couldn't find if you had commented more on this, but after using the Magni now for a little while, did you find your above worry to be an issue, or can the Magni still drive headphones loud enough while mixing in voice chat via the Mixamp?  I don't play multiplayer with voice too often, but when I do, specifically on Red Dead Redemption, I find I have to crank the mix knob to about 3 o'clock to be able to hear my friend loud enough over the game audio.

Also, I noticed in your amp section (the whole redesign looks great, btw!) that you mentioned the DT 990s can sound a bit harsh in the treble off the E9K.  I'm still planing on getting the DT 990 Pros and was originally going to get the E9K, but if the Magni will treat them better and not have an issue once I mix voice chat in, then I'll go with that instead.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #10,104 of 48,562
Quote:
Right! So I've set up my DT990s and the DSS2. I've been playing quite a bit of mass effect 3 and battlefield 3 to test them out. They are a big step up from my Sennheiser 25's however I'm not sure their quite optimised yet. The bass in battlefield 3 is a bit lacking (unless I turn on the bass boost on the DSS2) and the treble is a bit harsh. 

On the other hand the bass in sound test videos on youtube is pretty nice. 

I'm wondering if I need to burn these in for quite a while before they sound optimised? Or maybe it's the lack of an amp? The thing is, they definitely go loud enough, so I'm not sure it's the amp.

It's been a while since I've played BF3 but iirc, you should check your in-game sound options and play around with them. I might be getting it confused with blops but it should have a couple different audio mixes to choose from. I think it was called "war tapes" or something.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #10,105 of 48,562
Quote:
Didnt know my return window was so long for the E17... guess its going back today... and Im ordering the Magni, lol.
Who knows, I might even put the SA-31 and ODAC for sale, and getting that Modi, X1 or K702/65!
As for the Skullcandy deal, the SLYR for $40 is ridiculous, and everyone looking for a good closed headset should jump on it. SERIOUSLY.

let us know what you think of either the Magni or Modi. I have been beating my head against a wall trying to talk myself into waiting for the ODA after I saw these. $200 DAC/AMP done deal is so tempting.

class AB though...hmmm

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #10,106 of 48,562
Hi guys,

I've been reading this thread cause I'm looking to buy headphones or headset.
I currently have a steelseries siberia v2, with the steelseries 7.1 surround usb soundcard, and I've been using them for a little more than 3 years now, but I have the need to replace them cause probably from all the time that I let them fall on the ground the sound recently has become somewhat distorted.

I'd like if you guys could help me with picking new headphones, I have $80 to spend. 
I normally use my headset for a long periods of time(sometimes up to 10hours or more), so I'd like a confortable headphones or headset and I do use them for playing games, listening to music, watching movies and talking with my friends on skype.

The music genres that I listen to normally depend on the mood I am on xD , tho normally I listen to 80's, 70's songs, metalcore and also rock.
The games I normally play are League of Legends and CS 1.6.

I've seen some of the headphones in this thread but I'm still a bit confused so I'd appreciate some help!!

Thanks in advance,
platzord.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #10,107 of 48,562
At 80 dollars I'd recommend the Skullcandy SLYRs if you don't have giant ears. They are not the most comfortable things but if you're willing to sacrifice cup size for it, they are a good deal at that price. I have Asian sized ears and I had no issue wearing them for hours on end as I found the inside of the ear cups hid a bit more space for ear lobes.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #10,108 of 48,562
Quote:

Another poster said something about the JVC RX900's as being excellent gaming headphones. Has anyone else tried them? Peaked my interest because of the price and the fact they are closed. Wife will appreciate closed.

I've tried the RX900 and I wasn't a huge fan.  The imaging was't as good as some other headphones I've tried.  Also I believe they are semi-open.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #10,109 of 48,562
Hello all and special thanks to MLE,

As a long time lurker, I used this guide to purchase a pair of HD598 @ a year ago and have been happy w/ them.  But, upgraditis has hit me so I have some questions for a worthy successor if someone would be so kind as to offer some incite that I really have not found while trying to scour this thread.  I really want to keep that soundstage for competitive gaming but, increase the fun or bass for more enjoyable single player games/movie watching ($300-400 max but, if cheaper even better).

I used to own AD700 which HD598 replaced and use them strictly for PS3 gaming (FPS, Action, RPG) and Bluray movies.  I also only use my Pioneer Elite receiver which has a phones surround mode (also own original DSS and CMOYBB which rarely gets used unless have to game w/out AVR in bedroom).  The Pioneer's virtual surround seems very good in comparison to DH on DSS.

I have already purchased a few sets to demo and hopefully replace HD598 (DT990 premium, 250ohm, which I'm testing now & AKG Q701 yet to be delivered).

The problem I am hearing is that the DT990 doesn't seem to have the increase in bass I was expecting in comparison to the HD598 for that extra oomph.  To my ears, it has very slight increase in sub-bass (ex: explosions and Jurassic Park) but, w/ recessed mids as are typically described.  It sounds just as clear and similarly loud as HD598 at same volume level so unsure what could be missing.  I have started extra burn-in using noise and sweeps (http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php) to try to improve them if that is a possibility.

So the big ?, Is my Pioneer Elite receiver sufficient to power DT990 and Q701 (for best performance and bass) or will I notice an improvement going to O2 or Magni or even E9 added to the chain after AVR?? If it is known to improve I could possibly be willing to use one of the mentioned amps and DSS/Mixamp combo instead if the improvement is justified.

I appreciate all the help I can get!

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #10,110 of 48,562
Quote:
As a long time lurker, I used this guide to purchase a pair of HD598 @ a year ago and have been happy w/ them.  But, upgraditis has hit me so I have some questions for a worthy successor if someone would be so kind as to offer some incite that I really have not found while trying to scour this thread.  I really want to keep that soundstage for competitive gaming but, increase the fun or bass for more enjoyable single player games/movie watching ($300-400 max but, if cheaper even better).
I used to own AD700 which HD598 replaced and use them strictly for PS3 gaming (FPS, Action, RPG) and Bluray movies.  I also only use my Pioneer Elite receiver which has a phones surround mode (also own original DSS and CMOYBB which rarely gets used unless have to game w/out AVR in bedroom).  The Pioneer's virtual surround seems very good in comparison to DH on DSS.
I have already purchased a few sets to demo and hopefully replace HD598 (DT990 premium, 250ohm, which I'm testing now & AKG Q701 yet to be delivered).
The problem I am hearing is that the DT990 doesn't seem to have the increase in bass I was expecting in comparison to the HD598 for that extra oomph.  To my ears, it has very slight increase in sub-bass (ex: explosions and Jurassic Park) but, w/ recessed mids as are typically described.  It sounds just as clear and similarly loud as HD598 at same volume level so unsure what could be missing.  I have started extra burn-in using noise and sweeps (http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php) to try to improve them if that is a possibility.
So the big ?, Is my Pioneer Elite receiver sufficient to power DT990 and Q701 (for best performance and bass) or will I notice an improvement going to O2 or Magni or even E9 added to the chain after AVR?? If it is known to improve I could possibly be willing to use one of the mentioned amps and DSS/Mixamp combo instead if the improvement is justified.

Usually when you plug your headphones into a receiver, the speaker amplifiers stop driving the speakers and switch over to driving the headphones.
I would guess your receiver can easily drive 600-Ohm headphones, so 250-Ohm should be no problem.
Is the PS3 connected to the Pioneer with optical or HDMI?
I would think the Blu-ray movies would benefit from using HDMI, over optical.
Hopefully burn in solves the bass problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back