Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #10,066 of 48,562
That may be the case for a receiver or soundcard. NOT dolby headphone amps, as they can only take compressed Dolby Digital signals.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #10,067 of 48,562
Quote:
That may be the case for a receiver or soundcard. NOT dolby headphone amps, as they can only take compressed Dolby Digital signals.

Yup yup. So, I guess, in the end, that eliminates the Creative Recon3d for me. The HK receiver would work, but I suppose, essentially, they're both generic/average HRTF's, and mileage will vary ear to ear, lol.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #10,068 of 48,562
Quote:
Chico, I do NOT think the Yuin G1A makes the Koss clip ons obsolete. It's more refined, but pretty damn hard to drive in comparison, and will want amping at all times. If you're moving about a lot with your clip-ons, the Yuins are not ideal unless you always have a portable amp with you.

Ya.  If I got them they would be hooked to the E10 most of the time so that wouldn't be a problem.  I would also be too afraid to shove them in a back pack or anything like that given how fragile clip-ons can be.

Ideally the sound would be slightly warmer and thicker than the Koss (thicker mids especially) and less grainy up top.  Also ideally, the soundstage would be the same or better, although give how it looks more closed I would realistically expect it to do the more closed = smaller soundstage tradeoff.  I would be OK with a little smaller soundstage for a better balanced sound, especially since they would be mainly used for TV/Movies.

It looks suspiciously like the koss clip-ons though, and in more ways than just the clips.  Even the driver looks the same, down to the silver shininess (titanium?). 

There has to be some connection between Yuin and Koss, and where they are getting there parts and drivers from...

I can't tell any difference just looking at the driver itself...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/Yuin/G1/2.html

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #10,069 of 48,562
LOL, malicious intent was one of the possibilities? I hate your mind. I really do, but then again, reading further, I love it. No, seriously, no need to help. I GET IT. I appreciate your efforts. All right then. You should get some rest. Mmmmk. I loved that movie, jerk. It's one of my favorite movies of all time. Hating you now, lol. Night.

Jerk was a great movie! I'm sure a lot us can identify with "I don't need you, or any of this! Except... This lamp. But that's all I need! ... and this chair, that's all I need..."
But seriously, I liked Inception too.

To everybody,
Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #10,070 of 48,562
Ideally the sound would be slightly warmer and thicker than the Koss (thicker mids especially) and less grainy up top.  Also ideally, the soundstage would be the same or better, although give how it looks more closed I would realistically expect it to do the more closed = smaller soundstage tradeoff.  I would be OK with a little smaller soundstage for a better balanced sound, especially since they would be mainly used for TV/Movies.

Sounds like you're describing my PX100. I haven't heard the "II" model, but if only Sennheiser made a clip-on model, right?

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #10,071 of 48,562
Hey, what happened to the section of the guide where you listed the best headphones by fun, competitive and overall? Currently trying to decide on a headphone and usually looked at the guide for reference.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #10,072 of 48,562
It's there, just under a spoiler tag...

Chicolom... They're actually pretty hard to A/B. I feel they need to have the same clips to truly A/B them, as you know the sound signature changes depending on the clip they use. If I use the same clips, I do feel the Yuins are a little richer in tone, but I can't be sure. It takes way too long to swap clips and compare quickly. I'm not sure if it's tonality warmer than the KSC35 overall. The tonality seems similar to the KSC35. The KSC35's bass is stronger giving it a darker signature, but due to the Yuin having less tizziness in the treble, it's smoother and fuller sounding. Hard to explain.

Not sure about soundstage. I feel the Yuins have similar or better width. Not sure. I never felt the Koss clip ons were truly open. They have their holes, but covering my ears barely did anything to the sound. The only real change is when pushing them closer to the ears.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #10,073 of 48,562
searched thru this thread but couldn't find much for my issue.
had a question on the labtec LVA7330 mic for anyone who has it.

im having trouble with the mic picking up my voice unless the mic is literally touching my lips.
when i do the mic test and talk loudly with the mic only a couple inches from my lips the indicator does not even light up. when the mic is on my lips then my friends can hear me just fine.

i've already set the mic volume to max, is there anything else i'm missing to be able to use this mic in a more reasonable position?

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #10,074 of 48,562
You may have a very insensitive dud. :frowning2:

Did you already mod it? I'd get a replacement if you didn't.

That's the problem with mics. Sometimes they're sensitive, sometimes they aren't. My Zalman wouldn't pick up a damn thing unless I screamed, but others say it does.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #10,075 of 48,562
anyone get the nuforce email with their first over ear headphones for $150 (visceral bass) tonally neutral and they are solid aluminum for a sturdy construction and good dampening qualities as they are a closed headphone.  Also i believe precision imaging and large soundstage was in there too.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #10,076 of 48,562
also had anyone seen the sony mdsr-ma900.  They use......wait for it.......70mm DRIVERS What! LOL   i've read reviews and most people prefer the Phps L1.
looks pretty bad ass though

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #10,077 of 48,562
also had anyone seen the sony mdsr-ma900.  They use......wait for it.......70mm DRIVERS What! LOL   i've read reviews and most people prefer the Phps L1.
looks pretty bad ass though

$192 on Amazon, and seem to be modeled after the F1's. Fully open design, huge angled drivers.

I'm VERY interested! Those look like they could be lethal for competitive gaming.

edit:

A 70mm angled driver should have an insane sound stage experience but the MA900 for some reason doesn't. It could be due to the very thin and form fitting driver housing cups, they are very thin and look slim on your head, id expect a giant sound stage but in this case you get a good sound stage, certainly not at all lacking.

Meh... never mind.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #10,078 of 48,562
Merry Christmas to all!

I am not too experienced with the audiophile grade headphones (my experience mainly lies in a few mid 150-200$ range IEMs and the of gaming headphones I've bought and received to review through work over the years) though I like to think I can appreciate good sound. I wanted to share my experiences with the Skullcandy PLYR2 people were asking about earlier and ask a question on stand alone amps, but I'll get to that later. Pardon any weird spelling errors. I'm on my iPad typing this.

The PLYR2 sound a lot like the SLYRs, with a huge catch. The USB sound card on the transmitter is terrible! The mids and treble gets really muddy and recessed. I thought it was the headset til I plugged the RCA cables into my Xbox and things improved substantially. I the thought hey I wonder what would happen if I plug it into my mix amp, so with a 7 year old old adapter that came with my Logitech speakers years ago, I plugged the RCA cables into my 2011 mix amp pro and wow. What a difference! They started sounding a lot like the SLYRs did when I had those plugged into the mix amp. So if you already own a mix amp and you're looking for a wireless set up and you have tiny ears like me, the PLYR2 is a pretty reasonable option if you are looking for a true no wis set up.

Now, for my question! I recently purchased a Q701 and an e17 figuring I'd see how I liked the combo and go from there. I had a defective o2 recently that I returned to the seller and now I need another desktop amp to replace it because I use the chat function on my mix amp a lot. I liked what I heard from the o2 while it worked (the power circuit was installed incorrectly) Would it be worth my while to go back to the O2 amp or save some cash and buy an e09k since I aleady have the e17?

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #10,079 of 48,562
The Magni is more universal than the E9K, and will pair up better with low ohm headphones. The E9K is best left for headphones over 80ohm.

The Magni seems to be a lot like the O2 in sound too, from the impressions I've seen. I own the Magni, and it's fantastic. So is the E9K, but with that caveat of having too high an output impedance for low ohm headphones.

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #10,080 of 48,562
Hmm I'll have to take a look if Headphone Bar in Canada plans on carrying the Magni any time soon. The shipping from the US with duties and taxes makes them almost if not just as expensive as a local o2 amp made by Audio Poutine. I might be able to get away with the e90k though since I only plan on using the q701s with them. Although future proofing is always nice, looks like I'll stick to the o2 if Headphone Bar has no plans to carry the Magni. Thanks for your input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back