Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #9,962 of 48,566
1) http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356143445&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+mic+input
You might be able to find it cheaper on DX/Monoprice...though the Syba one is confirmed to work:http://www.cgwerks.com/steveblog/2010/12/31/inexpensive-stereo-headset-solution-for-ps3/

2)Yes.

3)Unless you buy more expensive headsets, there is no mute/ just unplug the mic. The new Modmic V3 has plans to add on a mute switch, but pre-orders are not open for it yet.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #9,964 of 48,566
I MEANT to put an isolation section in the review. I knew I forgot something! :rolleyes:

Actually, I didnt find it to isolate all too well. The CAL is notorious for being bad at keeping external sounds out, but they at least keep sound in. The SLYR leaks out a bit more...

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #9,965 of 48,566
Quote:

It's a drawback, no doubt about that, but a minor one in my case since the X360 and PS3 don't even render natively at 1920x1080. Some games don't even render at 1280x720 internally.

That resolution drop is for the sake of freeing up the hardware enough to deliver more shader effects and details at a playable framerate (and sometimes not even then, in some cases).

The really important part for me is that it supports 240p RGB. Saves me from having to spend the big bucks on an upscaler. Seriously, some of the upscalers covered here run upwards of $500! Even then, most of them still hover around $320 and are thus considerably more expensive than a $125 capture card, even if they don't need to be installed in a desktop PC to work.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the PS3 has a few games capable of 1080p, but if I was going to get a capture card, I'd probably be using it with the PC as well. Right. RGB = red green blue? That's insane, much too expensive. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #9,966 of 48,566
Quote:
3)Unless you buy more expensive headsets, there is no mute/ just unplug the mic. The new Modmic V3 has plans to add on a mute switch, but pre-orders are not open for it yet.

Or you can use a cable that has a mute switch built-in.  That's what I use to mute my modmic.

http://store.turtlebeach.com/cabx1talkbackcable-2.aspx
http://store.turtlebeach.com/talkbackxboxlivecablepuckbkoptional.aspx

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #9,967 of 48,566
The new Modmic looks nice, hopefully they get their production issues solved so they go on sale soon.

Me too. The more I use the Labtec mic, the more I'm convinced that I don't really need a mute switch, however the developments of replaceable/interchangeable mic capsules leads me to believe that the wait will be worth it. I'm not too sure of it, but the noise cancelling on the Labtec seems to work well. The party I play with all commented that the mic is much clearer than with the stock AX720 5.1 mic. Not too sure how the mic on the 7.1s stands up but I'm pretty sure it would be the same.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #9,968 of 48,566
Quote:
After a bit more fiddling with the PS3's audio settings, I found that any plug-and-play USB audio device (that it would treat as a headset) can have its audio re-routed through the main output where all the game audio would come through.

This means that I really don't need to keep around the Recon3D USB after all; just plug in one of my USB sound "cards", plug a mic into that, and have the chat audio running through S/PDIF and my SU-DH1. Even a dedicated USB microphone should work, in theory.

Now if I could just find a buyer...MLE's honest impressions have seriously damaged its resale value even at $70 shipped. I'll probably just have to eat some eBay fees on top of shipping for this one. Oh well, a necessary sacrifice in the pursuit of gaming audio product knowledge.

And speaking of reference points, one of the things that has always bugged me is that I just don't have that many of them with regard to headphones. The AD700 and HTF600 are probably the most popular headphones I've tried, and neither is particularly favored these days. Meanwhile, my favorite headphone for everything (but especially gaming) is a 1979 former flagship electrostatic set that most people have not heard (MLE included) and either won't find for sale all that often or cannot afford (when factoring in amplification).

I'm confused my that first sentence. So, I could use a USB sound card with the Ps3? Would it get me virtual surround?

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #9,969 of 48,566
I don't know if anybody has commented on the Sennheiser PX100 II yet (I did a search of the thread and nothing came up) so just wanted to post some impressions since I just received them in the mail today.

I just going to start out with this: these little guys are amazing for gaming!  (Using the mixamp) They're like a baby version of my HD558s.  I just played a few rounds of zombies on Call of Duty and directionality is great.  The 558's are great too, but I actually think the PX100's are a step up. The rear positioning is nothing short of spectacular.  I usually do a quick battery of spinning with my eyes closed within games to see if I can accurately place stuff within the game, and it was so easy to pick up the locations of the zombies, it was almost unfair....almost 
biggrin.gif

Aside from performing excellently for the competitive side, the musical side of these bad boys is amazing too. I think I might like the sound signature of these better than my 558's as I feel like they do bass better.  Very similar besides that.  Maybe a bit more refinement from the 558's.

Considering how small, comfy, and cheap these are, I feel like I just cheated the system or something. These shouldn't sound so good....AND be so good for gaming.  Maybe it's just the honeymoon period of a new headphone or something. I'll keep using these over the next few weeks and update my opinion on them.  So far, these are worth every penny, even if only for gaming.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #9,970 of 48,566
Quote:
I'm confused my that first sentence. So, I could use a USB sound card with the Ps3? Would it get me virtual surround?

No, the PS3 uses USB audio devices for voice chat only. (Exception: Sony's own wireless PS3 headsets. They seem to have set those up so that if the PS3 detects a USB receiver for one of those headsets, it'll mix the game audio, with optional virtual surround of some sort, and then pipe the two mixed channels to the headset. Those headsets are just stereo devices when used with PCs.)

This is strictly in regards to voice chat mixing, and for PS3 use, I can just keep the otherwise much more versatile SU-DH1 with its Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS decoding capabilities. (Even AAC, though I've never encountered any bitstreamed AAC source material.)

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the PS3 has a few games capable of 1080p, but if I was going to get a capture card, I'd probably be using it with the PC as well. Right. RGB = red green blue? That's insane, much too expensive. 

RGB = Red, Green, Blue, yes. In fact, VGA is RGB with separate horizontal and vertical sync. (Some RGB-capable systems have a composite sync pin, or in the case of most Sony hardware, put sync on the green signal.)

Do note that component video has RGB-colored RCA plugs, but is a color difference format (Luma/Y, Red Difference/Pr/Cr, Blue Difference/Pb/Cb), NOT RGB. That's why you need transcoder boxes like the CSY-2100 to convert RGB to component. (Most modern HDTVs throw fits with 240p RGB signals transcoded to component, though.)

And you're right, that's insanely expensive. That's why the discovery of this capture card is such a huge deal for videophile retrogamers.

Oh, and a question for Mad Lust Envy: got any plans for a Slyr vs. PC360 comparison?

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #9,971 of 48,566
No, as I do not own the PC360 anymore.

As for the PX100-II... cant say anything about them, though I did own the PX200-II, and it was one of the worst headphones I owned. Horrible at getting a seal, and they wouldn't stay on my head. :frowning2: Couldn't get a bead on it's SQ as the lack of seal ruined it completely.

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #9,972 of 48,566
Quote:
I don't know if anybody has commented on the Sennheiser PX100 II yet (I did a search of the thread and nothing came up) so just wanted to post some impressions since I just received them in the mail today.

I just going to start out with this: these little guys are amazing for gaming!  (Using the mixamp) They're like a baby version of my HD558s.  I just played a few rounds of zombies on Call of Duty and directionality is great.  The 558's are great too, but I actually think the PX100's are a step up. The rear positioning is nothing short of spectacular.  I usually do a quick battery of spinning with my eyes closed within games to see if I can accurately place stuff within the game, and it was so easy to pick up the locations of the zombies, it was almost unfair....almost 
biggrin.gif

The PX100 II are pretty dark sounding.  The soundstage also sounded pretty small and intimate on them, and didn't have the size and separation of some full sized open cans.  I had to work harder to locate stuff with them then using something like the KSC75. 

If they work for you that's what matters though.

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #9,973 of 48,566
Quote:
No, as I do not own the PC360 anymore.
As for the PX100-II... cant say anything about them, though I did own the PX200-II, and it was one of the worst headphones I owned. Horrible at getting a seal, and they wouldn't stay on my head.
frown.gif
Couldn't get a bead on it's SQ as the lack of seal ruined it completely.

Well I haven't tried the PX200s yet so I can't say anything on them, but FWIR they seem to be a step back in sound quality in exchange for the isolation.  I'm really liking these PX-100 II's though.  Maybe it's the house Sennheiser sound I like, since I also like the HD 558s (with foam mod for a bit more bass).

The PX100 II are pretty dark sounding.  The soundstage also sounded pretty small and intimate on them, and didn't have the size and separation of some full sized open cans.  I had to work harder to locate stuff with them then using something like the KSC75. 

If they work for you that's what matters though.

Ya I guess they are. I think I just love dark sounding gear
biggrin.gif
  My quick review (I guess) of them was just that, quick.  I felt that for the couple of hours or two I was using them with the mixamp, I didn't lose anything at all from my HD558s.  Maybe a bit less depth to the soundstage, with some added bass. For a $50 headphone, compared to $160, I think that's pretty awesome. 

However, I will keep using these over the holidays and keep comparing them to my HD558s to get a more accurate assessment of these little dudes. 

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #9,974 of 48,566
If I wasn't so in love with the KSC35, I was leaning on trying the PX100s to be honest. Thats why I bought the PX200-II in the first place. I probably would like the PX100, but have no need for a portable. The KSC35 is all I need.

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #9,975 of 48,566
does anyone know if best buy sells any good audio equipment (like amps) because by some fluke i have a 1000$ best buy gift card too spend and I was thinking it might be a good time to get some equipment to go along with my HD558's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back