Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #9,421 of 48,562
The Aviators are sexy. I didn't mind their pleather either. Just wish the cabling on the Aviators was a bit thicker. Thin cables scare me. I love that the Slyr has a detachable cable, so I could use my own 3.5mm cable, though I dunno where I'd find a third party one with a mic channel. They should pair up easily with the Mixamp after that. The supplied 3.5mm cable is very short, so thank god I have the Mixamp 5.8, lol.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #9,422 of 48,562
Quote:
I prefer a classical aesthetic, but these look reserved in black compared to their older designs, which is a good thing, IMHO. They don't look like a fashion statement. Just straight business with an SC touch.
I really do wish they were over ear. I will never be used to on ear headphones, lol.

They don't look as ugly as some other Skull Candy phones, so that's an improvement.

The Plyr headset looks bigger and closer to the Sennheiser HDxxx shape, and possibly circumarual - although still closed. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #9,423 of 48,562
Yeah, I was more interested in the PLYR 1, as it's the DH-enabled wireless SC headset akin to the A50s, but it's not out yet. The PLYR 2 is stereo only wireless, so I told them not to send me that one as I can't personally gauge their performance, as I don't ever game in stereo.

I'm expecting the A50s soonish. :wink: Though FWIH, the A40s still sound better. Time will tell.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #9,424 of 48,562
What problems am I going to have if I am using the XBOX>DSS2>AD700 and utilizing my Kinect mic for chat and pumping voice through the headphones when mainly playing FPS (COD games)? Will sound drop out on the headphones when people are talking etc. etc.  Will this work??

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #9,425 of 48,562
I must say, I'm really enjoying the Slyr for music. :eek:

I'm calling it a win for Skullcandy in terms of getting the balance right. The bass is JUST right for me.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #9,426 of 48,562
Quote:
Mshenay, I have no desire to get the HE500, as it has less bass than the HE400, and weighs A LOT. The HE400 is at the limit of how heavy I want a headphone to be.
Chico...
http://www.accessoryjack.com/headphones/hifi/philips-fidelio-x1-high-fidelity-open-air-headphones-black.html
DO IT!
wink.gif

Man, they are expensive over there...

If you are looking into X1... I'd suggest you look here, as if they export... you may be pleased:

http://www.amazon.it/Philips-X1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/dp/B008ZW2T7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354850836&sr=8-1

I'm very tempted myself to get a pair (I'm european), but I'm not too fond on the idea of not being able to replace the ear pads 
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #9,428 of 48,562
Quote:
The right driver had stronger bass, as well as vibrations in that bass. I tried to push it off for a whole month, then I heard a bass test recently, and it was painfully obvious. The right driver had an awesome bass and rumble...one that I wish the left driver kept up with, and sure as hell didn't. They definitely had two different frequency curves, even if they were volume matched. There was way too much of a difference in bass frequencies to dismiss. Even flipping them over, or swapping the cables to the other side, the right driver was always stronger in the bass.
I just sent them in... so I'm without any full-sized cans at the moment. Not that I don't mind the KSC35/75, but still... the HE-400 is in another league... assuming it works properly. I hope to god the replacement HE-400 is without any issues.

Hey what test did you use? I have been thinking the same thing, and want to know for sure. Thanks

cheers

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #9,429 of 48,562
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtrgjCIKntA

Thats a good one,, and the one that really highlighted the difference in rumble and power between the drivers. It was almost all right driver bass.

I basically used songs I was well acquainted with, however.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #9,430 of 48,562
So I just played two hours of CoD4 multiplayer with the Slyr. YES. OH YES. It mates with the Mixamp 5.8 quite nicely. The sound is well balanced with a tilt towardS bass, but in check.

I'm absolutely surprised that a sub-100 dollar headset could sound this nice.

Soundstage is small as expected, but positional cues were easy to pick up, and the clarity was good. I actually believe its better for gaming than I anticipated.

I couldn't get the mixer working alone properly (couldn't get chat to come up on my PS3), but the mic worked like a charm through the Mixamp. It sounds crisp and clear, no issues, though its a bit overly sensitive, so I'd advise on using a wind screen. I'm gonna use the one off my DX mic to see if it subdues its ability to pick up all sounds. Can't use the mic with my room fan on whatsoever.

I did test the eq settings on the Mixer plugged in through my PS3 composite cables, and the SQ did sound pretty good, though I find them unnecessary, as the innate sound sig was right where it needed to be. I can easily say I prefer the soung sig on the Slyr over all the headsets I have used.

More to come.

edit: I'm an idiot. The Slyr IS circumaural. Barely, but it is. The trick is, you have to slide your ears into the cups, so the pads go around and over them, instead of on them. If you simply just place the Slyr on your head, the pads will rest on your ears, making them Supraaural/on ear. There is definitely just enough space to cover your ears without the pads resting on them. MUCH better comfort now. :rolleyes:

Just watched a few TV shows, and the first thing that pops out is the vocals. For a bassy headphone, the vocals are pretty clear. Almost every bassy headphone except the HD650 and ESW9 have distant vocals. So far, im not hearing this distance with the Slyr. Refinement is debatable, but tonal balance sure isnt. The Slyr does many things right. Not forward mids, but not recessed.

I can see these being great for movies and tv.

So far, so very good for the price. I have a smile on my face. Never expected this.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #9,431 of 48,562
Ok, I think I have lurked in this thread long enough without posting.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  I have a tritton AX720 mixamp but no longer use the headphones.  Should I try and sell the set and get a mixamp, or is it not worth it to make the change?  I am not a huge fan of the fact that I can't seem to find another puck the for 720 so that I can sell the headphones to a buddy that needs something for budget computer gaming.  I would rather just not have the need for the puck any longer by having something I can plug my headphones/e17 into directly.  I play on a desk, with a XIM edge (mouse/kb), so the wired mixamp would not bother me much.  Is it easier to get a microphone hooked up though the mixamp vs the AX720 puck?

2.  I am thinking about selling my Grado SR80i's, and my HD595's that I use for gaming to get some HE-400s.  Do you think I will find the HE-400's to be inferior to the HD595's for competitive gaming?  What if I tame the bass some from my e17?

Thanks in advance,
MadDawg

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #9,432 of 48,562
Quote:

That works out well for me then, I wasn't going to buy it this month anyway. I was probably going to wait until January.

All right. Let me know if you find any alternatives! :)
Quote:

I've been looking at 2+ channel stereo mixers today on amazon. You can pick up a dj style mixer for ~$40. Would probably have less hiss than that, trying to decide what to use myself, lol.

-Erik

Let me know what you find out. I like options! I'd be interested in what you've found so far. Hit me up via PM. The Steelseries doesn't seem so bad though.

Quote:
hey, I was wondering how you guys control your chat volume with ease when using PC headphones on the 360 without an astro mixamp (and ps3 probably).  I mean it's possible by changing the various volumes in game and then increase the volume on the receiver so my teammates can be heard louder, but this can sometimes introduce a hiss.  My old x11 turtlebeach had a master volume/chat volume control inline, which I miss.  I haven't really seen anyone mention this, especially people using ad700 with a pc mic.  Are all these people using astro mixamps, or am I missing something?  I'm using a yamaha receiver as my amp/virtual surround sound.

Steelseries Cross Platform Audio Mixer. They will be back in stock in "the beginning of January." NO ONE has them. Not Ebay, not any retailer, not Amazon, so you'll have to buy directly from the website, unless when they get stock back in, the retailers buy some as well.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #9,433 of 48,562
I have been testing out the 2013 a40 and mixamp pro, and really liked the sound for competitive gaming. Just purchased the mmx 300 and will report back on how the Beyerdynamic compares to the Astro being powered by just the mixamp.

Does anybody think the mmx will need alot more power? Enough to sound bad on just the mixamp?

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #9,434 of 48,562
Quote:
I have been testing out the 2013 a40 and mixamp pro, and really liked the sound for competitive gaming. Just purchased the mmx 300 and will report back on how the Beyerdynamic compares to the Astro being powered by just the mixamp.
Does anybody think the mmx will need alot more power? Enough to sound bad on just the mixamp?

I hope that new Mixamp fares you well. They've been having issues with them. Maybe a recent firmware upgrade has fixed the problems. Any news on that?

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #9,435 of 48,562
I hope that new Mixamp fares you well. They've been having issues with them. Maybe a recent firmware upgrade has fixed the problems. Any news on that?

I have been on the Astro forums, and alot of people are having issues with their mixamp and/or headset. I haven't seen any of those big problems in my testing, luckily. The firmware was just to fix the low sensitivity on the microphone, and some people reported more issues after upgrading their firmware, so I avoided it. PLUS, I was able to troubleshoot the mic such that it operated nicely for me.

I just hope my mmx300 (coming next week ) isn't underpowered by the mixamp as I already have too much money invested in my gaming setup. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back