Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 3, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #9,346 of 48,562
Well, I was wanting to use the headphones with the PS3, but wanted to be able to control game/voice chat volume. Steelseries has something like this where you plug in the mic and the headphone into the green port, then it goes mic>usb>ps3 and headphones>green port>other end 3.5mm plugs into the system.

This goes against the whole nature of why this thread was created in the first place.... but I don't expect much sound quality loss between goring directly from the TV and having the SS audio mixer inbetween.

Anyone know of a USB hub (hell, not even a hub) that I can plug into a wall and charge like 4 things at once? I have clutter and just wanna charge my Phone, Vita, 3DS XL, E17, PSP all in on spot. It's a gawddamn hassle, really.
I do not need it to connect to the computer. Needs to be charged by a wall outlet.

MLE no powered hub at home? I would assume that any wall wart equipped usb hub should be able to charge all above listed devices... I guess it depends on the amp draw of the device...but still should work for most of them.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #9,347 of 48,562
Quote:
Anyone know of a USB hub (hell, not even a hub) that I can plug into a wall and charge like 4 things at once? I have clutter and just wanna charge my Phone, Vita, 3DS XL, E17, PSP all in on spot. It's a gawddamn hassle, really.
I do not need it to connect to the computer. Needs to be charged by a wall outlet.
edit: looks legit...
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Port-Speed-Power-Adapter/dp/B003Z4G3I6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354518938&sr=1-1&keywords=wall+usb+hub+power+hungry

The product description says it won't be able to charge an iPad so that means it won't be able to "charge" the Vita. It actually will charge but only at a trickle charge rate when the display is off, kinda like trying to charge your Vita on a regular usb port on your computer. You also want to keep in mind that the more things you plug into a usb hub, the more the power will be split so things will charge a little slower. I personally just use a power strip/surge protector and plug in like 2x regular and 2x 10w usb wall adapters.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #9,348 of 48,562
Quote:
edit: looks legit...
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Port-Speed-Power-Adapter/dp/B003Z4G3I6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354518938&sr=1-1&keywords=wall+usb+hub+power+hungry

I've got this one and it's nice.  More ports then I need, but it has a cool blue light.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-USB-Port-Power-Adapter/dp/B00483WRZ6/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #9,350 of 48,562
Quote:
This goes against the whole nature of why this thread was created in the first place.... but I don't expect much sound quality loss between goring directly from the TV and having the SS audio mixer inbetween.

MLE no powered hub at home? I would assume that any wall wart equipped usb hub should be able to charge all above listed devices... I guess it depends on the amp draw of the device...but still should work for most of them.

How does it go against the whole nature of the thread? I'm just trying to get the best possible audio for my games on PS3. Best to me is not only the quality, but also realism, like positioning. I figured that a pair of Audiophile headphones, coupled with Dolby Headphone, would be my best option. Going with a receiver rather than the mixamp gives me the option to use LPCM, so, that's about all I can think of. I'd like to get 3d audio, like that of what Nameless talks about, but sadly, I don't have that available on console. My next best option to what I have suggested here, that I know of, is the uber expensive smyth realizer.

Quote:
Does anyone have any new and recent Update Info on the 2013 Mixamp??

What were you wanting to know? Last time I check it was having quote a few problems. The stream port outputs crap audio, the mic sound of the user's voice was low, but has been fixed although another problem was created. That problem was that your own voice can be heard in the headset. Mmm, also there were problems with the supplied usb cable providing power that may have been resolved. Be wary. The build quality surely doesn't seem like that of the last iterations.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #9,351 of 48,562
The problem is lpcm is pointless with gaming audio. Audio files are so highly compressed on console games that you might be highly disappointed stepping into the pool with such deep expectations. Also my SS mixer added a small amount of hum from the USB power. About the same as a set of turtle beach. There is nothing wrong with going with a quality amp though tons of options down the road.

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #9,352 of 48,562
Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal and upgrade from my horrible Razer Megalodons?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003Z6H08Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=05PH141NK5PVH9GWN3YE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317819927&pf_rd_i=468294

I'm looking to ditch these and get a dedicated internal sound card and a better headset. This combo seems like a really great price but I don't know anything about Sennheiser's. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #9,353 of 48,562
Quote:

Oh gawd I feel you, I'm installing a Usb 2 pci card into my Pc today for that exact reason... need a place to charge all of my stuff! 

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #9,355 of 48,562
Ok thanks.. I wish Astro would give better info on the release date of the new mixamp instead of just early December.. I would love to try out the new mixamp to see if I like it better than my Recon USB or dss2

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #9,356 of 48,562
Quote:
Ok thanks.. I wish Astro would give better info on the release date of the new mixamp instead of just early December.. I would love to try out the new mixamp to see if I like it better than my Recon USB or dss2

Considering that they originally said Mid-November, and pushed into December, I suspect they are trying to work out some of the supposed quality issues first.  Who knows.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #9,357 of 48,562
Quote:
The problem is lpcm is pointless with gaming audio. Audio files are so highly compressed on console games that you might be highly disappointed stepping into the pool with such deep expectations. Also my SS mixer added a small amount of hum from the USB power. About the same as a set of turtle beach. There is nothing wrong with going with a quality amp though tons of options down the road.

How is it pointless? I thought LPCM was uncompressed? Does the console not generate the sounds? I don't have deep expectations. I'm going from DD 5.1 with Tritton AX pro's to Q701's with Dolby headphone. I just expect it to be better. If you can think of a better way for me to get sound than to go the route I'm going, let me know please, with the exception of the Smyth realizer. I don't want that. The steelseries may do the same, who knows.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #9,358 of 48,562
think of lpcm as a thick straw.  It is capable of sending uncompressed but if it's not fed uncompressed then you won't get uncompressed.  Your search for 24/192 is in the right direction for music and movies, unfortunately like we've been trying to tell you, games are just compressed audio.  Some more than others. how much detail you looking for out of a video game anyways lol.  

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #9,360 of 48,562
  also, hearing your own voice with the new mixamp is an improvement over the older model which was suppose to do that but it didn't hardly do it unless your mic was right next to your mouth.  They do this because your game draws out your ability to hear your own voice, you tend to yell.  If the mic was less sensitive then i'm down for that as all my friends in my parties have turtle beaches and they all saying i'm yelling because they have their chat volume set to what is good for turtle beaches.  If anything this is better for me because now i'm at a matched level as the other people in my parties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back