Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #9,290 of 48,562
Yeah, I'm generally not a fan of dumbed down mobile website formats, specially when they use an iOS-esque UI... I have a phone with a large enough high resolution screen, it seems unnecessary to break consistency.

Typically I'd just switch back to desktop view or force it from within my browser, but for Head Fi it does seem to work rather well so I've left it as is. The whole scrolling down to the most recent posts on your subs thing seems to work much quicker in mobile view than on desktop view which always kinda bogged down the phone browser even on Wifi.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #9,291 of 48,562
I like the mobile version.  I've used it on avs forum before, so I'm glad they brought it here.  When I'm on my phone I just want to see the info quickly and don't like having to constantly pinch and resize to find the latest posts.

Plus sometimes when you click to post and reply with a phone, the page goes berserk when trying to open and resize the text editor box.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #9,293 of 48,562
Quote:
What is the value of DTS for gaming? Many of the surround sound device don't support DTS but if it's only used for movies, that's something I can live it. So, is it a big deal?

From what I understand, Microsoft pushes for Dolby on the xBox games, which I'm guessing is going to spill over into PC games (how much?), so I'm guessing there is little support for DTS.
Some games come with an audio setting for "Home Theater", that might benefit DTS (maybe).
Blu-ray movies seem to favor DTS audio.

What is your current audio setting?

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #9,294 of 48,562
Quote:
From what I understand, Microsoft pushes for Dolby on the xBox games, which I'm guessing is going to spill over into PC games (how much?), so I'm guessing there is little support for DTS.
Some games come with an audio setting for "Home Theater", that might benefit DTS (maybe).
Blu-ray movies seem to favor DTS audio.

Nah, it hasn't really spilled over into PC games, at least not in the usual sense. The reason I wrote my guide in the first place is that PC game audio works very, very differently from consoles, even with more modern games that use software mixing.

I've actually seen a few games with DTS logos prominently featured on the startup screens, but this has no bearing on the actual audio output. Chances are the audio recordings used by the game may be compressed with DTS and decoded on-the-fly, but there certainly isn't an option to bitstream them as DTS with the PC versions. The Xbox 360 would probably just re-encode them to Dolby Digital on-the-fly, since it (like the original Xbox before it) effectively has Dolby Digital Live support, whereas not all PCs with integrated audio codecs do.

As for DTS support in general, it's not that widely adopted in games as an output format, and I don't see that changing any time soon, especially now that HDMI is picking up steam and allows for 8 channels of LPCM, no lossy codecs needed. But as the old saying goes, "It's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it."

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #9,295 of 48,562
So I'm looking to upgrade from my Samson SR850's to somthing a little better.  I play all kinds of different games on xbox ranging from Halo 4 to Skyrim to Castle Crashers to Forza but if I had to pick I guess I would say I would be more for the "fun" category like a bigger soundstage and immersion and whatnot, and I might be building a PC soon so I need good headphones for that too.  So far all I've really found is the Sennheiser 518's close to my price range but I might be willing to go higher.  If you could suggest a couple pair of headphones that would be great! (I really like the look of the sennheiser's like the 518 with the pads and such)

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #9,296 of 48,562
Nov 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #9,297 of 48,562
Quote:
So I'm looking to upgrade from my Samson SR850's to somthing a little better.  I play all kinds of different games on xbox ranging from Halo 4 to Skyrim to Castle Crashers to Forza but if I had to pick I guess I would say I would be more for the "fun" category like a bigger soundstage and immersion and whatnot, and I might be building a PC soon so I need good headphones for that too.  So far all I've really found is the Sennheiser 518's close to my price range but I might be willing to go higher.  If you could suggest a couple pair of headphones that would be great! (I really like the look of the sennheiser's like the 518 with the pads and such)

Used Sennheiser HD558 on Amazon.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #9,299 of 48,562
A lot of the used 558 on Amazon are often in like new conditions too, I've heard of people buying it used for close to $100 and getting a pair that still has that new plastic injection smell, I'm guessing it's due to returns and such.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #9,300 of 48,562
Hello Everyone - 

I have a question about which headphones to buy for movies and xbox 360 (newest version) gaming.  It is hard to find a good pair of headphones with the built in mic, and I have ruled out the Triton Warheads as it seems the sq would not be very good.  The Astro A50's seem like they might be better, but I'm guessing I could get a lot better sound with that one extra cable for some wired headphones.

My budget is around $300 
I have a Pioneer VSX 1022 receiver
TV is a Mits 65 737 - which DOES NOT have a 3.5mm jack

I mostly want to watch blu ray movies on PS3, play Halo 4 on xbox 360, watch TV

I want closed cans, over the ear so I don't wake up my wife (and new baby that will be here in Jan)

I wanted to get the V-Moda Crossfade M100's
http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/  

I have read the main part of this thread that had the recommendations, and I was considering the Ultrasone Pro 990S as well.

My main problem is I have no idea how to properly set this up to where I can use a mic that will play nice with the xbox controller.  I know there is a company AntLion that makes a standalone mic that can be added to any headphones - but even on their website they say it is tricky to get it to work with the 360.  Can anyone point me to the specific product (s), adapters, wires etc that would allow me play XBOX 360 with any pair of headphones modded with an AntLion external mic?

Also - would I need a mixamp?

Thanks for any responses - I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back