Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #9,196 of 48,566
The Essence STX can drive 600-Ohm headphones, the HE-400s are 38-Ohms.

Huh, didn't realize that, for some reason I had this notion that they were more demanding (maybe because they're planars? /shrug). If their impedance's actually that low I might have an opposite issue, bass might sound flabby due to the STX's high output impedance. :p

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #9,197 of 48,566
Quote:
My PS3 does have HDMI, but my Yamaha receiver does not. The RX-V2500 is actually quite old. It was purchased right before HDMI became a common thing. So I have optical going from the PS3 to the receiver, and HDMI directly from the PS3 to my TV. This receiver still works perfectly fine, so until it dies I will be using it. It has 130 watts per channel (x7) and it actually sounds quite good with music and movies. I have my front speakers (Infinity Alpha 50's) bi-amped from it for music so it actually sounds quite good and gets loud too. 

Being that it is old, it would also have an old version of the Cinema DSP... 

I have never found infomation on different versions of Silent Cinema.

I would say hold off spending cash for something like the Astro mix-amp and save up for a newer receiver.
I believe S/PDIF optical & coaxial can not pass full blu-ray audio, so you would want to get something with HDMI.
Yamaha RX-V667, RX-A700, RX-A710, RX-V671 would be good choices as they are the cheapest Yamahas with the better built in speaker amplifiers.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #9,198 of 48,566
Getting a new receiver, especially when this one works fine is out of the question. The receiver I have cost $1100 when I got it. It's still a quality unit and still works as flawlessly as the day that I got it. I know that optical cannot pass full blu-ray audio, I'm fine with that. Optical maxes out at 1.5mbps, so yes it's compressed, but It sounds just fine. I'm not that critical when gaming or watching movies anyway. HDMI is not going to make my music sound any better, and music is what i listen critically to. 
Quote:
I have never found infomation on different versions of Silent Cinema.

I would say hold off spending cash for something like the Astro mix-amp and save up for a newer receiver.
I believe S/PDIF optical & coaxial can not pass full blu-ray audio, so you would want to get something with HDMI.
Yamaha RX-V667, RX-A700, RX-A710, RX-V671 would be good choices as they are the cheapest Yamahas with the better built in speaker amplifiers.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #9,199 of 48,566
Quote:
Huh, didn't realize that, for some reason I had this notion that they were more demanding (maybe because they're planars? /shrug). If their impedance's actually that low I might have an opposite issue, bass might sound flabby due to the STX's high output impedance.
tongue.gif

Maybe try read up and asking all your HE-400 questions on this thread, should get some informative answers there.

EDIT  Big oops, I forget to add the HE-400 link.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #9,200 of 48,566
Quote:
Getting a new receiver, especially when this one works fine is out of the question. The receiver I have cost $1100 when I got it. It's still a quality unit and still works as flawlessly as the day that I got it. I know that optical cannot pass full blu-ray audio, I'm fine with that. Optical maxes out at 1.5mbps, so yes it's compressed, but It sounds just fine. I'm not that critical when gaming or watching movies anyway. HDMI is not going to make my music sound any better, and music is what i listen critically to. 

Cool.

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #9,201 of 48,566
Quote:
The problem with external devices is that they can't handle/change/process the streams/voices directly and render/place each of them into a complex HRTF model (FIR filters etc..) but just virtualize the finalized ouput to 5.1/7.1. It's better than stereo, yes, but it's not enough. Far from it.
So we either need game engines process binaural internally (with the help of middleware or even hardware dsp) and output the finalized binaural stereo signal or send additional information towards external devices within a standard that lets them do the processing. This would however possibly lead to delays and setting up such a standard isn't realistic either.
Sound is just not a high priority for most consumers unfortunately. The only brightside is that gaming is more and more less of a niche and as Evshrug said, more and more focus is towards audio gear thanks to the headphone boom in the recent years.

There is a standard that could be used for binaural processing on external devices: ambisonic B-format. As a bonus, those who prefer speakers aren't necessarily limited to fixed speaker configurations, either.

Problem is, I don't know of any software designed to encode and output ambisonic data on-the-fly, and the format itself is quite obscure. (Frankly, I never even heard of it until I started looking into Rapture3D, wondering why DiRT 2 used it. As it turns out, Codemasters likes working with ambisonic formats for their racing games.)

It would be much more practical just to get a binaural HRTF mix option integrated into FMOD and other popular audio middleware; why it hasn't been done already is beyond me. Aureal was already doing it by default for A3D games in the late 1990s!

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #9,203 of 48,566
Just go with the Mixamp. You could also get a DSS, but you'd need an USB mic adapter as well.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #9,204 of 48,566
Quote:
Would I need a Mixamp or one of the other devices to use PC360s on a console?

Quote:
Just go with the Mixamp. You could also get a DSS, but you'd need an USB mic adapter as well.

If you can get a Mixamp for cheap, you should go with that. But if you don't mind waiting until Wednesday, I ordered the Monoprice Gaming Headset (includes a mixamp type device), and I'll be posting my impressions. The entire Monoprice headset is cheaper than just the mixamp.

-Erik

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #9,205 of 48,566
Thanks for the reply, but I did not once say I was going to be pairing these up with the Mixamp, let alone to just the PS3 alone 
confused_face(1).gif
. (That seems to me at what your getting at anyway)
Not all gaming is done on the console you know
biggrin.gif
. But yes, I would still be using them on the PS3 and PC anyway, I could use the FiiO E9 that is unused to give them the extra power, if not I could add the Mstage to the Mixamp somehow.
I did also say that these weren't just for gaming either and was wondering if these were on par or beter than the K702 in terms on soundstage gaming etc
redface.gif

Quote:
HD 800 is a total waste if you buy it for gaming alone, especially pairing a Mixamp with it.
confused_face(1).gif

I had the K701, many Beyers including the T1 and I can't recommend anything above T90. The T90 only if you can get a great deal, otherwise DT990 600 or something with lighter bass "should" be endgame.
Consoles are limited in memory and space, thus audio gets a cut. Even though some PS3 games offer much less compressed audio (most exclusives and a few multis like Hitman, Blur etc...) most games share the same audio files across all three platforms, being limited by the Xbox 360, and you really don't wanna know how limited some of them are. Skyrim for instance is totally embarassing in that regard. And then you need gear to extract that PCM audio (or the corresponding DTS encode) properly. Mixamp won't cut it. It's limited to AC3 and SQ isn't pretty.
Of course the situation is a bit better than years ago but is going backwards from a technical standpoint. While the Fear series (1+addons), Thief, Bioshock 1 utilize superior tech and better rendering than games today, the recordings are of lower quality.
If you want the best and cleanest audio, you play on PC and a HD 800 makes much more sense but the above "rules" still apply.
With the new console generation upcoming it can only get better recording-wise. Rendering probably won't except on Sony exclusives or 343i games/Epic Games and a few better equipped or "gifted" studios.
Now don't misunderstand me. For me the HD 800 beats all others, it's SQ, imaging and soundstage is noticably superior to all of them, they are the finest for gaming that I know of but in the end you have to consider the limitations set by games.
P.S.: At the moment I consider the Fidelio X1 the best bargain for gaming and music. If you live in the EU and can get your hand on them, do it while they are cheap.
http://www.amazon.it/Philips-X1-00-Fidelio-Auricolari/dp/B008ZW2T7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353740252&sr=8-1

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #9,206 of 48,566
Guys, keep an eye on the Cyber Monday @ amazon.de. They're going to sell a Yamaha RX-V473 for those interested in the Silent Cinema feature.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #9,207 of 48,566
Mad Lust Envy, could you give a brief comparison between the DT880 and HD598?

Sure. I prefer the DT880 for pretty much everything but competitive gaming.

The DT880 has a fuller, more energetic sound. Stronger bass presence, sparkly treble, and overall balanced sound, with slight mid recession (slight!).

The HD598 has a bigger soundstage depth and width, prominent mids, and airier sound. However, I find the HD598 a bit boring, and the prominent mids don't blend in as well with the rest of the sound. It's no HD650, that's for sure. The bass is okay, and the treble is good and not overbearing, but I don't find it particularly musical. I actually prefer the 558 over the 598. The 558 is warmer and more musical, though not as detailed. I find the 598's mids to be a bit too prominent and shouty, IMHO. I much prefer the mids on the 650, Q701, and ESW9 which were mid forward, but blended well with the rest of the sound.

If gaming isn't number one priority, the DT880 is superior to the 598. The DT880 just doesn't have the best positional accuracy, with not a lot of soundstage depth.

Anything you wanna know in particular?

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #9,208 of 48,566
A buddy is currently borrowing my he-400, and looking for a headphone around 200usd for christmas.  After hearing the he-400 for a bit, he's stated that his preferences in sound are as follows (open/closed does not matter)

1: clear sound
2: bass/mids

He listens to mostly rock and rap.

My first thoughts were HD598 and DT880.  I just think DT880 would be the better overall option, as it would have the bass that 598 doesn't have.  I didn't find the 598's bass too impressive either when I tried them out.  Of course we would be talking about the pro 250Ω variant of the DT880 which is 220 on amazon, but I'm no big skeptic over differences in the beyer models in the first place.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #9,209 of 48,566
Yeah, the DT880 is a lovely headphone. One of the best balanced headphones I've heard. The mids are it's weak link, but it's ever so slightly pushed back, not overly so.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #9,210 of 48,566
Hmm, rock and rap? Honestly, that sounds like a job for the DT990 Pro which is under $200. Just not sure about how much he'd like the mids. But for a bassy headphone, it's the best tradeoff I've heard. Not sure the DT880 bass would be good enough for rap. It's got good bass, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back